Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New ATH?

this-is-tesla-5988c5eb0c.jpg

Any good entry point at these levels?
Came into some holiday cash but the jump from 185 to 350 has been meteoric since May has gotten my analytics all mixed up.
Well, if you believe ARK Cathie Wood, pretty much anywhere below $4,000/share
(I do)
Remember
AAPL isn’t $279/share, it’s actually $15,655/share for the long term folks

I love/hate this. Every time TSLA hits an all time high I tell myself "I'm in this for the long haul. And, plus, this is when they'll break out and the roller coaster will calm and TSLA will start to behave more like a growth stock than a bucking bronco and I'll be left in the dust after having sold at the high" and so I patiently hold, only to see a huge dip afterwards. Then, of course, I kick myself for not selling at the high and then buying at the dip. So, once again, I'm faced with the dilemma: Do I sell or do I hold? Yes, a good problem to have, but anguish nonetheless.

That video lays out a pretty conservative look at Tesla that largely sets aside China, Autonomy, or even Tesla Energy because of the difficulty in valuing them. A good watch that might force you to look at your own thesis on Tesla so that you can figure out why you are invested and for what reasons.

I love/hate this. Every time TSLA hits an all time high I tell myself "I'm in this for the long haul. And, plus, this is when they'll break out and the roller coaster will calm and TSLA will start to behave more like a growth stock than a bucking bronco and I'll be left in the dust after having sold at the high" and so I patiently hold, only to see a huge dip afterwards. Then, of course, I kick myself for not selling at the high and then buying at the dip. So, once again, I'm faced with the dilemma: Do I sell or do I hold? Yes, a good problem to have, but anguish nonetheless.

As the stock gets higher, I've been building / will continue to build a small stake of put positions to hedge for a possible correction. I am really not expecting it though.

• Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger
With all due respect, I'm used to driving P-spec Teslas for nearly 6 years now and anything less seems quite pedestrian.

On-topic prediction market valuations, end of:

Now: $60B
2020: $75B (China Giga and Y main drivers, some from new S and X)
2021: $90-100B (FSD and monetizing time in car main drivers)
2022: $120-130B (Berlin Euro Giga, CyberTruck, Semi, Tesla Glass Roof main drivers)
2023: $150-$170B (all of the above on steroids, another Giga main drivers, Tesla buys assets from bankrupt weakest ICE company that failed to switch to EV for some of their factories).

Along the way TSLA added to S&P 500 and later DJI which provides some of the market valuation boost when all the indices have to buy the stock.

Thoughts? (I typed drivers without extensive thought into their timing. I do think TSLA is getting much better at NPI and ramping as experience increases witness China Giga.)

P vs. Dual Motor:

I drove a Model P90D March, 2016 for 2.5 years was leased so returned it for AutoPilot tech upgrade. Bought Model 3 Dual Motor 2018 Q3 has plenty of 0-60 etc. since the 10% free power upgrade(!). Now I notice I need to replace my wheels when tires wear out with low profile tires for additional grip at high speeds. I already have the “performance” pedals LOL. What else is missing besides the brake upgrade? Or are they just red-painted?

I drive 70 mph speed “limit” I-5 between Fremont and Westwood LA quite often. Late last night it was empty so easy to get up to 120 mph. But then I noticed I need to upgrade my wheels and tires. True a Model 3 P is supposed to max out at 145 mph last I checked — but hard to use that except places like Germany or on the track, and even then you are draining your battery quickly due to wind resistance not being a linear function of velocity.

In case you work for law enforcement, the proceeding 120 mph is a fictional fantasy!

When the EPA 500 mile rated Models S, X, 3 arrive hopefully next year, then the P models will truly be awesome!

I might give my 3 to my wife to get a Y, but when 3-motor CyberTruck NPI has stabilized that will be what I drive probably to my EOL.

Russ

You're not alone. Hopefully things are different now than they were right after the funds secured tweet. At the time my wife told me to sell half. I said, but It's going to 420. At least have some funds ready to buy if it does get pushed back down.

As you of course all know today has been a day of significance for the stocks as well as the company. For the stocks because closing on ATH even with a down test in between marks the upside opportunity and looking into the past which everybody will do there has been a $100 band in play so people although its ridiculous because the past with regards to a stock tells you not something about the future, will make conclusions like we go now to $480. Maybe we do maybe not - this is unknown territory now.

Be prepared the "I always told you" people that actually didn't will jump out of their box and give smart advice where it will go next. My modest recommendation: don't trust anybody make up your own mind, read a lot, question yourself and your thesis and stay cool.

Lots of endorphins in the blood streams of bulls today and that is never a good adviser.

Needless to say how positive I am about the stock but we may see a phase of overreaction too and that may come back one day likely testing lower levels and people easily get caught who don't have a clear defined strategy and the discipline to execute on it.

I never sold a single stock and don't intend to. Since we left the channel new rules apply and what was true with regards of the stock yesterday is not any more.

Congrats to many here where I felt they do it right and sorry for shorts we heard about who did not read the writing on the wall or listen. I tried to do my bid but who I am...?!

Many people will have received margin calls the last weeks and given the ignorance what Tesla really is I do assume we will hear more of those sad stories.

It's only natural to feel and think like this, but Tesla's business has now entered a new phase, the past will not return...