Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This smells like two years ago, when Bitcoin hits absurd (I am not telling that Tesla valuation is absurd right now) heights (=20k$). So after this stock rise, where do you think this ride will end and the stock price will stabilize at new level?

Sure, when Tesla hits 20k I totally agree with you. Time to sell. Now? Just gettin started - 5years stand still to catch up to.

• Checks out the service centre with an old car (early-production Model S with low mileage), which was having a clunking sound. Surprised that they have no public charging there. Was offered a loaner, but declined it.
  • Took autopilot there and hated it, thinks it's dangerous (he's always hated AP)
  • Spends a long time discussing fixing a crashed Tesla and the various things they had to do.
  • Talks about the picture of Elon fixing his first car with parts from a junkyard. Asks for sympathy for people working on Model 3s using junkyard parts ;) In particular, notes that he's working on the window glass in the picture - wishes Tesla would offer window glass inserts. Notes that you can order some parts online now, "some parts you can, some parts you can't" and "it's kind of random".
  • Notes that Teslas are actually very repairable, and how things went really smoothly and easily. That said: "I don't think we're going to turn into a Model 3 repair shop any time soon." ;)
  • Briefly mentions Tesla's legal council leaving. Says he wish Tesla would fire the whole lot of them. ;) He thinks Tesla's legal team is terrible, and Musk should stop listening to them. Beyond thinking that they've given bad advice in legal cases, he also thinks they're responsible for Tesla's limiting what parts amateurs can get their hands on for repairs.
  • Talks why he's stopped focusing so much on home solar energy storage now, and not EVs (vs. when he started). In general about what he does. For most people: "Generally, if you see me doing it, you can't afford it. And by the time you can afford it, I'm not doing it anymore." His market is early adopters, the leading edge. He tries to stay ahead of the curve on new trends; by the time they become "mass market", other players can outcompete him and he moves onto other things that haven't been as mainstreamed yet.
  • "The utilities are not your friend." Talks about utilities fighting against rooftop solar, and for how it's in their best interests that you use as much power as possible, not little.
  • Starts talking about the PG&E bankruptcy / fires, with a reference to another person's analysis on Youtube (Juan Thomas). $25B losses for PG&E in its bankruptcy settlements, and PG&E's chronic underinvestment in infrastructure - to the point that on the line that caused the Camp Fire, they were only "inspecting" the lines by helicopter (e.g. they can only see whether the wires are still attached or whether they've fallen off), allowing the C-hooks that held up the wires, after half a century of banging around in the wind, to get worn through.
  • Problem is, PG&E doesn't have this kind of money to pay out its settlements and fix its infrastructure. The money for this sort of stuff isn't going to come from investors - who wants to just throw money at PG&E right now? The money is going to come from ordinary ratepayers.
  • And while this is a PG&E problem right now, there's been chronic underinvestment across the US. What's happening in CA now will happen elsewhere unless things change. And you'll be the one stuck with the bill. If this isn't the future you want: you need to be looking at home solar and storage, alongside efficiency improvements (such as geothermal climate control) that allow you to get by on a smaller system.
  • Thinks one of the most undervalued things about Tesla is its potential growth in the home solar+storage market. Sees the destination as being, yes, your "power plant" is a bit chunk of the cost of your new house whenever you buy a home. But you own it, and everything it generates. Still sees the the need for a "grid", but it'll be a smaller, simpler layout focused on backup rather than primary power delivery, and with rates negotiated instantaneously between numerous end users and producers.
  • Love Jack's phrases. In regards to uncertainties with system pricing: "You can't nail a jello rattlesnake to the wall, it kind of crawls around."
  • Goes back to discussing the (old) Model S they had fix at the service centre. They fixed the drive unit under warranty, but wanted them to pay for the (out of warranty) driveshafts. According to Tesla, that the problem they were having actually was the drive shafts, not the drive unit - the drive unit was only replaced because it was one of the original, defective drive units. Jack's take is that he's not mad about the outcome, but somewhat peeved, as he's not entirely convinced that the problem was the driveshafts; he thinks it was the drive unit.
  • Goes back to the car they fixed. Again, they love the car's easily repairable, modular design... but offset by the hit-and-miss as to what parts you can get new / access to diagnostics / etc. Wants them to set a new standard in ease of repair by third parties - and thinks it can even be a revenue source for Tesla. Car diagnoses which part is wrong, and if you have a repair shop (or yourself) set, it automatically orders the part and has it delivered.
  • Thinks people make too big of a deal of HV power risks during repair. Yes, they can be dangerous, and yes, they can kill you, but even when you mess up, it's not like it's an instantaneous death sentence. Jack mentions that he's been bitten by HV power from EV batteries three separate times. But he's much more likely to have such a screwup because he's always doing unusual things rather than just basic repairs.

Thanks for the summary! I thought I was going to have to watch that.

Can I call you Saint Karen now? ;)

This smells like two years ago, when Bitcoin hits absurd (I am not telling that Tesla valuation is absurd right now) heights (=20k$). So after this stock rise, where do you think this ride will end and the stock price will stabilize at new level?
$554
just around $100B cap
...not sure if that is any sort of mental barrier but I'd think it could be for headlines maybe?

Last edited:
Someone just can't wait till 2021
1576757967-2c06f690064cd1b7f0fa53319cb631d8.jpeg