Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nice profit taking this morning. Thankfully there's an ER in a couple weeks ;) ED: By the time I finished writing this post, it had gone up from $483-$490, so not so bad at present!

Based on how it looks so far, I really timed things well today. I hadn't gone as far on deleveraging yesterday as I wanted, so I sold an ITM call spread when the SP was around $497-$493 (bottom-top respectively), bought its replacement when the SP was around $494-$495 respectively, and used the profits to buy a $400 Jun put hedge for newly-acquired stock (not hedging my call spreads, of course), right before the price jumped down.

I expect to lose all of my money on that hedge for my stock, of course. :) It's an insurance policy.

Don’t be silly. I have it under good authority there will be a sell off BUY WALL at $485ish.
FTFY

TSLA.1mth.2020-01-09.10-11.BuyWallinPlaceAt485.png

Last edited:
Yep.

If you have an average short "buy-in" of $280, you're already looking at 75%+ losses in your position. (20% to 5%)

His covering is forced to prevent losses of over 100%. He is just a lying slimeball, his broker covered all the positions entered under $280.

I just can't help wondering if that occured at... oh, say, around 11:30 yesterday.

• Funny
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Can anybody explain what the squeeze could look like? I did some reading on the VW/Porsche squeeze which was a result of massive options being accumulated by Porsche which lowered the shares available to trade to lower than the short interest. How does that compare to the current situation? Did short interest get released yesterday? And what is the available float now?

It does not compare..
has been discussed here every other month, back & forth

Reactions: SteveG3
Could one of you explain to an options newbie how the percentage of selling tagged to shorts can be 60% day after day after day? On the face of it, it seems like they should run out of ammo after a certain number of days of that.

I think the majority of volume in Tesla stock every day is options market makers adjusting their delta hedge position through the day as the price moves and as their option contacts open and close.
There is also likely a significant % of volume from equity market makers and short term traders.
So most volume is likely essentially the same shares changing hands over and over again.
I doubt there is much volume from real long term investors each day.
This is why a new buyer of a few million shares or a few million shares reduction in short interest have a significant impact on share price.