Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
V2G has been dismissed for fear of battery degradation. This might go away with Maxwell tech and longer lasting cells (more cycles).

But you can get most of the grid benefit with zero risk, just by letting the charger choose the rate of charge, based on price signals. Charge the car really slow (or wait) when demand is high and charge fast when demand is low. V2GLite.
No need to invent new acronyms when there's already one. What you describe is called demand response or DR in the energy geeks circle. It could come from ACs, water heaters (electric), etc.

DR isgoing to be an important capability when the vast majority of the grid is powered by renewables, which are generally variable. Of course batteries are the other missing piece of the puzzle.

Some folks say Cybertruck looks ridiculous. I say it looks as functional as a tank. But its looks will be largely irrelevant to two very large groups of buyers:

1) Truck buyers who use their vehicle for work. (Nothing else on the market approaches Cybertruck's announced functionality.)

2) Truck buyers who want their vehicle to be tough, not merely claim it in Super Bowl commercials. (Nothing else is literally bulletproof.)

Years ago when Anton Walhman was predicting Chevy Bolt would kill Tesla, I made a different prediction. I said Model 3 will do to Chevy Bolt what Model S did to Cadillac ELR. That seems to be happening.
Chevy Bolt sales decline for second straight year, a warning for Tesla competitors - Electrek

So I'll make another prediction now: Cybertruck will do to Ford F-Series what Model 3 did to Chevy Bolt.
If they can hold true to the price of the cyber truck with that range and towing/load capacity then the Ford F series is going to be in trouble. Lots of people here in the south lake/Westlake area of Texas have pick up trucks and actually not a lot of them are hauling stuff. But the size of the trucks and the capability of the trucks are important both of which cybertruck meets the criteria and exceeds in the functional utility.

RIP Terry Jones.

It's after hours, so I just want to acknowledge that we lost another comic genius today. So many TMCers obviously love Monty Python's Flying Circus. There have been so many times when Python skits were deployed to ward off the gloom of a bad TSLA day or reinforce the absurdity of the Shorts or Tesla detractors. Invariably, the references made me laugh.

Palin and Cleese remember 'remarkable' Terry Jones

RIP Terry Jones.

It's after hours, so I just want to acknowledge that we lost another comic genius today. So many TMCers obviously love Monty Python's Flying Circus. There have been so many times when Python skits were deployed to ward off the gloom of a bad TSLA day or reinforce the absurdity of the Shorts or Tesla detractors. Invariably, the references made me laugh.

Palin and Cleese remember 'remarkable' Terry Jones

I have not seen this posted, but lordy it is easy to miss something on this forum. I believe this is new, hopefully not proven wrong. Seems Tesla recently added WIFi to their home wall chargers. I have been looking for something like this to happen as it begins to pave the way for your Tesla to become a power wall or ultimately enable vehicle to grid (V2G). Tesla has been quiet on V2G but folks looking out into the future of energy infrastructure adore the idea. Within a few more years a fraction of the fleet plugged in at the right time, all willing to give up a fraction of their total charge will destroy the so-called duck curve. It also allows a lot higher % of variable sources (wind & solar) on the production side. Wildly disruptive to energy markets.

It hurts me but I sold 8% of my shares for part of the down payment on the wife & I's dream house (will be back at full TSLA strength once our current house is sold in a few months). The new casa has a great southern exposure roof that will be sprouting solar panels later this year, then 1-2 years down the road the wife is going to wake up on xmas morning to a M3 present parked in the garage. Another stall in the garage is reserved as habitat for a Cybertrk to colonize a few years after that. No doubt variants of this series of events will play out for millions of families in future years as Tesla continues scaling. At some point i'll build a small shrine to Musk in my man cave since his vision & work are translating to so much good for my family while helping to improve the planet for humanity & all other critters.

Some folks say Cybertruck looks ridiculous. I say it looks as functional as a tank. But its looks will be largely irrelevant to two very large groups of buyers:

1) Truck buyers who use their vehicle for work. (Nothing else on the market approaches Cybertruck's announced functionality.)

2) Truck buyers who want their vehicle to be tough, not merely claim it in Super Bowl commercials. (Nothing else is literally bulletproof.)

Years ago when Anton Walhman was predicting Chevy Bolt would kill Tesla, I made a different prediction. I said Model 3 will do to Chevy Bolt what Model S did to Cadillac ELR. That seems to be happening.
Chevy Bolt sales decline for second straight year, a warning for Tesla competitors - Electrek

So I'll make another prediction now: Cybertruck will do to Ford F-Series what Model 3 did to Chevy Bolt.

Well, I'm a tradesman, hopefully I don't lose all credibility. I do read a lot in my spare time :) (maybe an investor now? is your title based on money earned????)

I think the F150 is very blue collar, tradesperson type. It's not the cybertruck that's the problem, its the accessories that turn a regular truck into your job specific utility vehicle. Need to haul 20' long material? Contractors rack. Firewood or large quantities of studs/sheet goods? Headache rack. Need to keep material or tools dry? safe from theft? Canopy. If you want half the space of a canopy... ??!? seems illogical - get a Tonneu cover, my least favorite and what is more or less on the cybertruck. **Without the option of having the other accessories**

The stats of the truck blow everything else away, the price point is a thing of beauty.
On board air compressor is probably going to be handy a few times over the life of the truck, I would still likely have a compressor and not have my air hoses running god knows how far through the dirt and rain.
Remote power for a jobsite? That's pretty sweet, tools are all mostly cordless now with batteries large enough that you don't Need to have a charging station on site but it's definitely nice.
Body resistant to damage, I guess that's cool? The only trucks that look beat up are either treated like garbage or are used off road, nice to have the peace of mind that you wont accidentally scratch your new truck though.

IF you don't work in a densely populated city and can afford to haul a trailer, hell yeah the Cybertruck is the way to go. (cannot park a truck+trailer anywhere in cities)
If you want a truck to move a couch or take your ATV out to the trails, yeah, it can do that in style.
Want one of the safest family vehicles on the road? Yuuup.

It's still a huge market, and will attract some tradespeople who can make it work, but I think there will still be a lot of F150's driving around for some time. (I'm not a ford guy I just know they're popular for some reason, I like my Toyota but they took the wrong stance on electric and it will cost them dearly)

It just lacks the customization tradespeople use for their specific needs. I personally have a canopy with supported roof racks and haul long lumber etc weekly. I think I will get a cybertruck but I'll need a trailer for my work (If I'm still doing said work in a year the way this stock is going o_O.) When Tesla wants to focus on this particular audience, I have no doubt they'll make the ultimate work truck.

TLDR, I think a few tweaks or the next generation of Tesla truck can target construction workers, but a lot will be held back by these seemingly insignificant (to you!) details. They matter quite a bit when every material delivery is $100+ and you could just pick that up yourself (when you need it - instead of being held up waiting for said delivery...days?...weeks???)

That said, if anybody works with patents I have ideas. PM me. :eek:

Last edited:
The Green 30 for 2020

The pioneers, leaders, and ideas that are trying to solve the climate crisis.

January 21, 2020, 1:00 PM
The climate crisis seems to get worse with each passing day as stories about wildfires, droughts, and floods inundate our news feeds. But there are rays of hope, if you know where to look. Bloomberg reporters and editors have identified 30 people, organizations, and trends that are offering possible solutions to the emergency. Some are familiar: Elon Musk or Mark Carney, for instance. But others have received less attention, such as the Green politicians who could soon be running the world’s fourth-largest economy. The Green 30 is not intended to be exhaustive. It’s more of an introduction to some of the most interesting entrepreneurs, policymakers, engineers, and thinkers to watch in 2020.
Mod: content removed for copyright violation. @Jackl1956 , if you want to post a link go ahead. --ggr

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
  • Informative
Reactions: capster and GOVA
It hurts me but I sold 8% of my shares for part of the down payment on the wife & I's dream house (will be back at full TSLA strength once our current house is sold in a few months). The new casa has a great southern exposure roof that will be sprouting solar panels later this year, then 1-2 years down the road the wife is going to wake up on xmas morning to a M3 present parked in the garage. Another stall in the garage is reserved as habitat for a Cybertrk to colonize a few years after that. No doubt variants of this series of events will play out for millions of families in future years as Tesla continues scaling. At some point i'll build a small shrine to Musk in my man cave since his vision & work are translating to so much good for my family while helping to improve the planet for humanity & all other critters.
You would have been pretty sick if you'd done this in July last year when the stock was $190 or whatever!