Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
$657.64 in the premarket, new all-time high I think?

New premarket ATH, but there was a $659.8 print in the Q4 ER after-hours trading.

Edit: $660.50 - new ATH.

Maybe some entity has to cover all their naked shorts from Friday over the next three days and figured they’d get it out of the way today/this morning. Either way I was happy to introduce my new 100 shares to the family of other shares.

Which together give a very high probability of imminent credit rating upgrades.
Please, don't get too optimistic. Rating agencies are very, very, very rarely aggressive on the uprating side. For initial ratings (especially secured debt) there is competition to give high ratings. After that they tend towards caution on upside. Until the last few disasters all the agencies tended to be cautious on downside too, but now they tend to be a trifle quicker.

For TSLA they have the disadvantage of a company operating in volatile sectors with nominally serious competitors and high sensitivity to government incentives. Never mind what we know, think about what they know. There is solid reason for caution by rating agencies, and not much pressure to raise the ratings.

Were the world rational and well-informed we'd have seen upgrades by now, IMHO.

Argus maintained Tesla (TSLA) coverage with Buy and target $808
Argus maintained Tesla (TSLA) coverage with Buy and target $808
Past Target Price: $556
Issuance Date: 2020-02-03
Pre-Market High: $670.48 (08:04:18 AM)

UPDATE: Tesla (TSLA) PT Raised to $808 at Argus Following Strong Earnings Report

February 3, 2020 7:45 AM EST

Argus analyst Bill Selesky raised the price target on Tesla to a 'Street High' $808.00 (from $556.00) while maintaining a Buy rating.

The analyst comments "Our positive view assumes continued revenue growth from the legacy Model S and Model X, as well as strong demand for the new Model 3, which accounted for more than 80% of 4Q19 production. Despite past production delays, parts shortages, labor cost overruns, and other difficulties, we expect Tesla to benefit from its dominant position in the electric vehicle industry and to improve performance in 2020 and beyond."

Looks like the Market wants to price in a $20/share upside on this Analyst Upgrade. Notice that they leave themselves plenty of room for further upgrades to the PT in 2020 because this $808 tgt is based solely on Models S/X revenue growth and continued market dominance by Model 3.

Just wait until the Model Y starts to compete. Hint: its not EVs that will be squeezed out of the market, its ICE SUVs and CUVs, the biggest segment in N.America and Europe. YEARS of PT upgrades ahead on this product alone.

Cheers!

Last edited:
UPDATE: Tesla (TSLA) PT Raised to $808 at Argus Following Strong Earnings Report

February 3, 2020 7:45 AM EST

Argus analyst Bill Selesky raised the price target on Tesla to a 'Street High' $808.00 (from $556.00) while maintaining a Buy rating.

The analyst comments "Our positive view assumes continued revenue growth from the legacy Model S and Model X, as well as strong demand for the new Model 3, which accounted for more than 80% of 4Q19 production. Despite past production delays, parts shortages, labor cost overruns, and other difficulties, we expect Tesla to benefit from its dominant position in the electric vehicle industry and to improve performance in 2020 and beyond."

Pre-Market High: $669.69 (07:56:20 AM)

Looks like the Market wants to price in a $20/share upside on this Analyst Upgrade.

Cheers!
Also remember Ark released their updated $15K/share bull case last Friday.

I find it really funny to see a stock at ATH in untouched territory bouncing back from a number like $670 while you don't have any resistance or other reason but round number some investors seem to just not like.

Pure psychology :D

Well, the $669.69 was probably a humorous investor putting in a sell limit order at that value, and the price bounced back from it temporarily, only partially filling it.

Went through $670 shortly afterwards.

(Such trade confirmations should be requested in paper, framed and hung on the wall, right next to the $420 confirmations.)

Also remember Ark released their updated $15K/share bull case last Friday.
Yes I remember, but ARK's previous bear case was $700.

The SP was steady at around $648 in the early Pre-Market until this upgrade came out:

TSLA.2020-02-03.08-10.png

Pre-Market High: $675.00 (08:28:09 AM)

Last edited:
Just got done reading transcript from the earnings call. Some thoughts and feelings I got after reading between the lines.
- Elon has no plans of putting Tesla in “autopilot” he’s that kid in school that only functions when he’s working on something last minute. Tesla will continue to live on the edge because in some sick way that urgency to meet deadlines, deliver cars, build up production is a rush that makes everything work.
- this will continue to frustrate investors as we are nearing a time when it would seem so easy to relax, focus on what is making money and just keep putting out profitable quarters. However, that’s boring. Most of us invested in this because there is this belief that the company can change the world. I firmly believe only one man is capable of seeing that through so I’m willing to ride this roller coaster to the end.
- the last minute urgency Musk operates in is seemingly how he views our chance of beating global warming, it’s that sense of urgency that we all need to be part of.

Slightly exaggerated: the more innovation and rapid evolution is required, the harder it will be for putative rivals-without-a-mission to simply throw money around and scale. I prefer Elon and his team of extraordinary engineers to have some medium-heavy lifting to do. And yes, without a good challenge Tesla will lose Elon.

I do not suggest this is something he’ll do. I am positive that as an operator of Falcon and Gulfstream he is acutely aware of how hidebound the industry is today. The majority of SpaceX Hawthorne engineers had origin with Northrop, McD/Douglas, Hughes etc. Those people knew tradition and successfully upended with SpaceX.

Fascinating. Smart old hands given a challenge and scary decision-making powers.

Honestly, I'm not sure I want to tell at this point ;) It's market cap is 3 1/2 orders of magnitude smaller than Tesla's, averages one trade every day or so, and you guys could ruin my cost basis while I'm still acquiring. ;)

First principles. Glad to hear such thoughts "being mulled", this is one direction I've been researching a bit. If Ni remains the cells' main material input, how would an Elon go about pushing prices down once gains from automation, chemistry, and scaling demand outsize efforts for diminishing returns? What critics fail to grasp is that Tesla is a literally technically-minded problem-solving juggernaut.

Quote/ Tesla will determine the battery purchase volume between July 2020 and June 2022, according to its own needs, CATL said in a stock exchange filing, adding the agreement does not impose restrictions on Tesla's purchase volume. /Unquote

Quote extraordinary. I presume TESLA and CATL have shared their thoughts on what the upper and lower bounds will be.

This is when I imagine many automotive executives exhaling in expletives, ideally sounding like Chrisjen Avasarala played by Shohreh Aghdashloo. How are they supposed to fulfill their EV quotas in China without paying through their nose for cells?

Just you wait when the big boy muscles in...

I probably missed it, so I'd like to ask:
what's the magic number of Q1 profit for being included in S&P500?
Do you think well'be able to make hypothesis from cars sold alone (so in 2 months)?

I did these charts quickly, so please let me know if anyone sees an error with my numbers:

Q1 2020 - Profit from Most Recent 4 Qtrs
Yahoo has Q1 2020 Net Income consensus at about 39m.
This is short of what is needed in Q1 for S&P500 inclusion.
See table below.
Telsa needs about $160m in Q1 2020 to get the profitablity needed. Possible but unlikely.
upload_2020-2-3_8-20-1.png

Q2 2020 - Profit from Most Recent 4 Qtrs
Once the ugly Q1 2019 is gone from the calculation, 4 Qtr profitablity is basically certain in Q2 2020
Yahoo has Q2 2020 Net Income Consensus at $85m and this get Telsa about $372m in the most recent 4 Qtrs.
See table below
upload_2020-2-3_8-20-11.png