Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Watching CNBC blather on for many many minutes about Superbowl ads and Bezos defamation lawsuits with KARA SWISHER who has interviewed Elon/discussed Tesla dozens of times.

You'd think they would have an opportunity to drop in a mention TSLA up 11% to an all-time-high of $731 and market cap of $130B+. But NO MENTION OF TESLA.

I'm surprised Kara doesn't bring it up. "How come you don't talk about Tesla more?" They would have a 24-pack of eggs on their faces

Tesla does no commercial advertising, which is the lifeblood of the media. Other car companies advertised in the Super Bowl, so that invited media chatter today. But most of those car ads were half-hearted attempts to promote electric car models. :rolleyes:

As I suggested here yesterday, this may have inspired some savvy folks to think about Tesla clearly being the EV leader, and they may be buying Tesla cars and stock shares today. :cool:

I looked into this a few months ago but as far as I could see there was no way for someone in Europe to buy part of any ARK ETFs

Annoying. I'd like to diversify *a little* (literally just thinking of starting at 1%), but everything that has my interest is in the EV/storage arena, at various points on the supply/production chain, just because the growth potential there is so staggering. :Þ ARK being an innovation fund stretches beyond my more narrow personal interests (while still being appealing to me), so I was thinking it would be good for diversification. But alas...

So, all this and not a thing has changed in the Tesla story, imagine when April rolls around, battery investor day goes down and we find out Tesla now has a battery that’s 25% more energy dense @ $80 bucks per KWH at the pack level with the machine to push out 2 terawatts per year by 2022.

That’s it....

Game over for fossil fuels, done.... it’s just done.

It’s gonna make days like this seem so small.:)

We remain... Long.

Fire Away!
(It’s the batteries, Stupid!)

I wonder if the smart money is anticipating inevitable S&P 500 inclusion and getting in before the stampede

Empirically, stocks tend to outperform the most in the T-3 and T-6 months prior to the announcement of S&P inclusion (sorry I don't have this study offhand but it was from Jeffries I believe). I'm sure there's some front running of that going on.

But there's no possible way short covering can cause a move like this. TSLA isn't some liquidity constrained / low float mid-cap.

I would suspect it's large institutional buying, whether forced or unforced. Despite TSLA not being in the S&P, it is still in a lot of benchmarks that big long only managers are judged by. If you haven't owned this stock you are getting hurt badly due to the sheer magnitude of the move (even if TSLA is a small weighting in the composition of your benchmark).

Wouldn't surprise me to see that TROW bought back in in size in Q4, and some new large holder faces on the list come Q4'19 position disclosures.

Not saying Tesla's need this for demand. There are plenty of demand. They need to constantly pound their competition into submission that they need charging infrastructure and more range.

We will know the Big 3 ICE makers are serious about EVs the day they form a JV to build charging infrastructure across the country that can support any EV models made by any of them.

Weekend OT: I'm attending the Fully Charged Live conference this weekend

I was there too! I would say it was very successful... thousands of attendees. Interest in BEVs is exploding and this show/expo/thing is on the cusp. I was one of the Tesla shuttle drivers ferrying attendees back and forth between the car park and the actual show. Had a great conversation with Gali :)

Tesla does no commercial advertising, which is the lifeblood of the media. Other car companies advertised in the Super Bowl, so that invited media chatter today. But most of those car ads were half-hearted attempts to promote electric car models. :rolleyes:

As I suggested here yesterday, this may have inspired some savvy folks to think about Tesla clearly being the EV leader, and they may be buying Tesla cars and stock shares today. :cool:
That Audi ad was so bad. Seems that the marketing agencies legacy autos use are also dinosaurs. Your flagship EV and you don't even mention what it does? I don't think they even said it was electric. And the song suggests that you should buy an EV, and just ignore what people say. Super smart guys, tell people that others will mock them for buying an EV.

Another annoying thing about today. I've been forced out of spreads. I'm outright buying the highest spread in the month I'm in ('21 Mar now); nothing higher to sell, dang it! :Þ
By highest you mean highest strike price?

or when they sign on the the Tesla network.

Fire Away!
(It’s the batteries, Stupid!)

Don't forget the software.. I think this might be an ever lager issue than batteries.. just look at VW ID.3.

Batteries are solvable - eventually someone will have enough to sell (Tesla). Software might be a lot harder, as this is vehicle specific..

Last edited:
Annoying. I'd like to diversify *a little* (literally just thinking of starting at 1%), but everything that has my interest is in the EV/storage arena, at various points on the supply/production chain, just because the growth potential there is so staggering. :Þ ARK being an innovation fund stretches beyond my more narrow personal interests (while still being appealing to me), so I was thinking it would be good for diversification. But alas...

Well, you might just buy some of their top holdings (their top holdings have their highest conviction ratings). Just research them and pick out 4 or 5 that you like the best.

TSLA
Tesla Inc
10.54% 471.6K $197.3M
ILMN
Illumina Inc
7.03% 396.7K $131.6M
SQ
Square Inc A
6.74% 2.0M $126.1M
SSYS
Stratasys Ltd
5.82% 5.4M $108.8M
CRSP
Crispr Therapeutics Ag
4.91% 1.5M $91.9M
NVTA
Invitae Corp
4.90% 5.7M $91.7M
TWOU
2U Inc
3.96% 3.1M $74.2M
NTLA
Intellia Therapeutics Inc
3.89% 5.0M $72.8M
EDIT
Editas Medicine Inc
3.78% 2.4M $70.8M
NSTG
Nanostring Technologies Inc
3.34% 2.2M $62.5M
Z
Zillow Group Inc C
3.18% 1.3M $59.5M
ROKU
Roku Inc Class A
2.94% 410.8K $55.0M
XLNX
Xilinx Inc
2.90% 554.1K $54.2M
PRLB
Proto Labs Inc
2.60% 478.4K $48.6M
TREE
Lendingtree Inc
2.54% 156.8K $47.6M
TWTR
Twitter Inc
2.43% 1.4M $45.5M
SPLK
Splunk Inc
2.33% 291.7K $43.7M
VCYT
Veracyte Inc
2.27% 1.5M $42.6M
TTD
The Trade Desk Inc A
2.17% 156.1K $40.6M

What do the smart folks think about options right now?

I wouldn't know. I'm an actual idiot making big money on options.

Tesla does no commercial advertising

I was thinking their first commercial should be a static image of a 1-year daily stock chart, with the words "Tesla - Maybe it's time to take a test drive."

We will know the Big 3 ICE makers are serious about EVs the day they form a JV to build charging infrastructure across the country that can support any EV models made by any of them.

They are "serious" in an EVs are an alternative to ICE like juicing is an alternative diet lifestyle to regular meals. Only one company equates EV alternatives to horse carriage being an alternative to ICE for transport.

Reactions: ABCTG