Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Saudi Arabia fund dumped nearly all of its Tesla shares before the surge — CNBC

Saudi Arabia fund dumped nearly all of its Tesla shares in the fourth quarter before the rally

Missed out big time on current gains this year

The Saudi Arabia Public Investment Fund now holds just about 39,000 shares of the stock after selling 99.5% of its holding.

The fund held more than 8.2 million shares by the end of the third quarter of 2019, which would have been worth more than $7 billion at Tuesday's price.

Before the latest sale, the sovereign wealth fund had dramatically cut its net exposure to Tesla stock in early 2019 after CEO Elon Musk settled fraud charges with the SEC over the claim to take his company private.
Why are all of you such Debbie Downers? Think about it this way:

Those 39,000 shares they still possess will equal the amount they sold, more or less, just as soon as TSLA hits $87,950.

Everyone's been so caught up in the stock price that no one noticed today's blog post:

Accelerating Tesla’s Safety Culture
This snippet from that blog post caught my eye. Underlining is mine:

Our ergonomics team continues to explore the effectiveness of new technologies to improve safety, including exoskeletons and sensors to support healthy posture and movements. This work, along with that of our athletic trainers, is critical given that a majority of our injuries are musculoskeletal in nature.

That gives me a picture of the factory floor filled with robots....and robot-enhanced humans. Wow!

Well, it's a start, but don't forget that animal ag is worse than all transport combined when it comes to GHG dumping. So even buying SPYX doesn't move the needle as much as it should.

Thus, the push to make all Tesla's animal-free back in 2016, which is nearly 100% successful now . . . so we're back to the only pure-play ESG remains TSLA.

Source (first link, from the UN FAO):

COWSPIRACY: The Sustainability Secret

Animal agriculture is responsible for 18 percent of greenhouse gas emissions, more than the combined exhaust from all transportation.

After following Tesla for the last 4 years, and dipping in and out of the stock multiple times (only sold because I thought there were other/better opportunities out there), I'm glad to say that I made an 4X return in 4 years. This is something I never thought was possible.

The absurd and really fast rally the past couple of days got more worrying though. I just liquidated most of my Tesla stock and will be on the sidelines watching. I do believe the stock will go much and much higher, but this run up was crazy. Hope to get back in on a lower price. Possibly after Q1 earnings and before batt.day.

Reactions: Eugene Ash
OK, so, I want to drop one image into this thread, something interesting I noticed.

upload_2020-2-4_18-5-14.png

Note the two candles I've drawn red boxes around.

I actually noticed the first candle, while the very next candle was current (and therefore we were hitting ATH).

If I'm reading this correctly, there was a very quick spike down that was absorbed - and then some - fast... but the fact that they were able to punch that far into the order book must have sent a signal to someone, to do the epic bear raid 10 minutes later.

As an aside, for all of you wanting to get into options... short-term options lose a crapton of value when that happens. (And then get a ton back when the price recovers some while still in market hours.) That's why you play with money you don't care about losing, and that is an advice... (Don't worry, I am playing that stuff with money that I see as effectively a lottery win anyway.)

Also, I actually see this price action as a positive, despite the fact that we just got manipulated hard: the shorts are very much still alive, if they're up to these shenanigans. That implies to me that this probably isn't the squeeze yet. (That part is not an advice.)

100% agree. My 19 year old daughter recently got interested in the stock account I had set up for her. So she entered all her gifted holdings into a stock tracker. Today she texted me this picture.

View attachment 507942

I was a little extreme. Realizing that learning investment early is important, I started to teach my kids at age 5. I made up little stories like this one: If I have a magic wallet that can generate one dollar a year, how much are you willing to pay for the wallet. That's the basics of P/E ratio. The earning is $1, what's the fair value of P. They can actually get it. Then I asked if the earning goes up a little bit every year, how much will they pay. That's my way to introduce earnings growth. Discounted future cashflow, inflation, business risks... all can be explained with various magic wallet stories.

Then they read investment books, attended BRK shareholder meetings (a lot of fun), and started investing in their own stock accounts with real money. Today my younger son, who is in high school, said "Hey, Dad, I almost have enough in my stock account to buy a Tesla Roadster." Hopefully he knows that's not the best way to invest.

Maybe I was too early, recently my son told me when I first talked about stock market going up and down, he was thinking about elevators.

From my experience, I'd recommend against touching options. I've almost got destroyed with them, and not only did I think I knew what I was doing I was, as many here may view it, very conservative with them (long term and in the money calls, and cash covered out of the money short puts).
I know it's common wisdom, but just buy shares and hold long term. Don't let those short term outsized gains of some members lure you into gambling.

I second this. I also lured into option trading after few days reading.
My first venture .. lost 10k and another 5k loss is in progress.
Luckily, today long gains got me enough to cover the loss.

Well, maybe me just dont know how to do it correctly but my option trading career wont go much further for sure.

From my experience, I'd recommend against touching options. I've almost got destroyed with them, and not only did I think I knew what I was doing I was, as many here may view it, very conservative with them (long term and in the money calls, and cash covered out of the money short puts).
I know it's common wisdom, but just buy shares and hold long term. Don't let those short term outsized gains of some members lure you into gambling.

Knowing my own personality, I'm 10 years of reading away from dabbling with more than play money. And by play money, I mean basically nothing. :D

It is quite awesome to read the gains that people have had here.

Now you tell us :p
What other tech stock to consider?
(no idea if those are tech stocks)

Yeah, but most of it was blind luck. PAYC is a Software as a Service (SAAS) stock that provides ... payroll services. Over the web. Um, that's enough of an innovation for 800% stock growth? I guess so!

MA (Mastercard) is more interesting in that the only two companies (AFAIK) actually making money in online payments are ... Visa and Mastercard. How funny is that?

Well, maybe me just dont know how to do it correctly but my option trading career wont go much further for sure.
It's not a cliche to say almost everyone loses money their first time. I lost over $10,000 on some calls back in 2018 during the summer of the "Short Burn off the Century" tweet saga.

But I never gave up, I learned important things such as what the Greeks are and calculating premium and stuff like that. More than a year later, I took a chance and yeeted my first call the day after earnings.

You have to risk big to win big, and you have to be willing to lose money to make money. I'm not saying to ever do what I did, but you only need to get lucky once right? That's what Warren Buffett once said: "You don't have to do everything right. You just need to not do too many things wrong."

My reading of this... thread over the past few days. I really need to gain some confidence on trading options. :eek:

It's good to learn. Just don't bet the whole account. Years ago I lost almost $100k in my first option trade, in one day. Because I didn't understand it.

First, practice with small amounts. After you make gains, only play with the house money.
Second, think about how likely you will get it right, and if you are right, how much you can make; then how likely you are wrong, how much you can lose if you are wrong. I call it probability weighted gain and weighted loss. You should not do the trade if the weighted odds is not strongly favoring you. You should not feel bad if the trade turns sour as long as you followed your weighted odds, learn from the loss.

As I mentioned in the past, there are a few occasions that are the best times to get into Calls: 1. when a good stock had a big crash, 2. when a good stock breaks out from a solid base (such as TSLA just broke out from a long term base). If you missed those 2 cases, there are more cases but you have to be careful. During short squeeze, try to stay bullish. If you are too late to the game, be very careful.

I predict Donald Trump mentions Tesla, SpaceX, and/or Elon Musk in the SOTU address tonight. Something along his same lines of needing to protect/support our geniuses. I predict the stock market will like this tomorrow.
Cool. Maybe Elon will he there to stand up when Donald announces a new plant will be opening to build batteries for infrastructure. One can dream.

• Funny
Reactions: wipster and Jo-
This snippet from that blog post caught my eye. Underlining is mine:

Our ergonomics team continues to explore the effectiveness of new technologies to improve safety, including exoskeletons and sensors to support healthy posture and movements. This work, along with that of our athletic trainers, is critical given that a majority of our injuries are musculoskeletal in nature.

That gives me a picture of the factory floor filled with robots....and robot-enhanced humans. Wow!

Cyberfactory.

• Love
Reactions: wipster
To all those hesitant on the Robotaxi in next 2-4 years:

Millions of Tesla vehicles will be on the streets by 2022. Those vehicles all have the hardware that is capable of doing full autonomy. No other auto company has laid this foundation. In this interim, Tesla continues to obtain billions of miles of autopilot data.

One day in 2023, no full autonomy.

*Over the air update happens*

Next day, millions have autonomy capability.

People click "yes" to adding vehicle to Robotaxi network. They make money. Word of mouth spreads. The "yes" clicks and scaling the network goes parabolic.

It's not linear. It is exponential. One day no, next day yes. S curve applies.

Same for the future Tesla energy network. Solar+solar network not connected one day, connected and aggregated the next. S curve. Again app will ask for you to add TeslaEnergy network, tap "yes."

Again it doesn't matter if they have robotaxi up and running soon.

Watch for these service infrastructures being built. When you actually watch and check the blocks, they are building it very quickly. You can measure this. It's not abstract. Compare all other car companies, not even close.

Jonas saying he's talked to all the scientists obviously is not talking to the leading scientists working at Tesla with Elon. It's absurd that anyone can make predictions with people that aren't at the vanguard in operationalizing AI.

Pay attention to the foundation being built by Tesla, not the talking heads on the valueless financial news.

Thanks for sharing this. Most people talk about gains and not losses. I'm sure many who've used options the past several years have definitely lost money, even as the stock went up.

Congrats to all who've done well, with shares or options. Don't get too greedy, it's okay to take profits. It's also okay to hold and ride the rocket ship.