Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A question please...
I buy a share for 100 dollars.
A year later I buy another for 50 dollars.
The next day I sell half (one) for 200 dollars.

Gain is 100 or 150 dollars?
Did I hold investment for more than one year (for capital gains tax purposes)?

Depending how you set your cost basis. If you set it to first in and first out, i believe your cost would be 100 dolar + 100 dolar gain and counted as more than a year.

If you set to last in first out, i believe it would counted as 150 dolar profit with less than a year (Cap gain)

Ameritrade allows you to set this in every transaction or default configuration.

DISCLAIMER: I know nothing.

We are higher than the open on Monday. We would be ecstatic with 730 if we climbed here slowly without the insane climb and fall....

What do you mean "would be ecstatic". I AM ecstatic with $730. Granted, I won't complain when we enter the 4 digits.;)

I would be more ecstatic if Elon announces good progress with Cybertruck and moves the estimated deliveries forward. There is something about that truck that makes me want it more than any physical thing I've ever wanted before.:)

How would Trump change Texas law?
He can't unless he convinces Abbot to pressure the legislators or the enticement of additional jobs changes the legislators' minds. I don't see Trump doing this though. The only things that have a chance of changing Texas law are a) GF5 employs enough people (voters) that when added to the Tesla owners makes the incumbents fear for their seats. b) Once the CyberTruck has taken 2% to 5% of the truck market, the dealers will no longer have the necessary money to pay off the legislators. Maybe both. Personally, I would have chosen someplace not in Austin with it's two hours for ten mile commute time. Even just driving through Austin is a major pain. But maybe it will just be in the vicinity of Austin so the commute will be from the outskirts of Austin to GF5.

How would Trump change Texas law?
He would ask his buddy Gov. Greg Abbott to get it done. This may already have happened in Davos. Abbott would inform the automobile dealers association that this was going to happen. Then his people and Musk’s people would start the horse trading. When the Texas Legislature is next in session, Abbott (actually Dan Patrick, Lt Gov) would inform the Republican leadership that he wants this to happen. Then it goes through the machinery.

Happens all the time.

Last edited:
Speaking of wood, Cathie Wood is scheduled on CNBC today at 5:05 PM ET, 16 minutes from now.
I'll have to see it on youtube later. Haven't had cable in 10 years. Isn't weird that old media dislikes disrupters like Tesla? Weird.

It really clicked for me last week while watching Gali from Hyperchange on CNBC debating an analyst. The guard is changing.

Reactions: wipster
Nice interview from Cathie - they let her speak more than usual. Many of the usual ARK talking points, but what I think she conveyed particularly eloquently and passionately this time (and that maybe the Fast Money panel seemed to actually absorb quietly) is Tesla's unique and unprecedented position as the unquestioned leader in, and convergence of, not one but THREE exponential growth technologies.

The panel of course asked about inane details like subsidies and P/E ratios while Ms. Wood transcended all of that noise. :cool:

The panel of course asked about inane details like subsidies and P/E ratios while Ms. Wood transcended all of that noise. :cool:

Shouldn't avoid talking about subsidies and P/E ratios, as they are factors moving swiftly in Teslas favour (subsides/regulatory penalties globally will benefit Tesla, and the P/E ratio is going to look very good soon as earnings rise rapidly)

Simple retort: If Tesla is poised to earn $20 Billion net income annually within 5 years, and potentially $50 Billion within 10 years, what sort of P/E would an investor expect at that point, and wouldn't you want to get in early before that price is achieved?

Shouldn't avoid. talking about subsidies and P/E ratios, as they are factors moving swiftly in Teslas favour (subsides/regulatory penalties globally will benefit Tesla, and the P/E ratio is going to look very good soon as earnings rise rapidly)

She's not avoiding, just that it's not a major part of their analysis/modeling. ARK models disruptive innovation long-term - everyone else like Adam Jonas (hey AJ, you reading?) can focus on the short-term nickels and dimes and Starlink antennas.

Long time holder. Fun roller coaster ride.

I even bought the T-Shirt.
A71C5604-C6EF-4E06-8406-D033855CF29F.jpeg

How would Trump change federal law? Even if Trump
He can't unless he convinces Abbot to pressure the legislators or the enticement of additional jobs changes the legislators' minds. I don't see Trump doing this though. The only things that have a chance of changing Texas law are a) GF5 employs enough people (voters) that when added to the Tesla owners makes the incumbents fear for their seats. b) Once the CyberTruck has taken 2% to 5% of the truck market, the dealers will no longer have the necessary money to pay off the legislators. Maybe both. Personally, I would have chosen someplace not in Austin with it's two hours for ten mile commute time. Even just driving through Austin is a major pain. But maybe it will just be in the vicinity of Austin so the commute will be from the outskirts of Austin to GF5.
Honestly, I’m not so sure how much the current Texas dealership laws are really impeding Tesla anymore. Musk really did an end-run when he went to all on-line ordering. There are no limitations (as far as I know) on number of galleries or service centers - that’s in Tesla’s control.

The only dealership “services” that are missing are trade-ins and financing. There are lots of way for buyers to take care of those in other ways.

My Texas Model 3 buying experience was by far superior to any dealership I have ever been to, even with the current laws.