Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So another noob question - is the equity raise now completely sold out or will Morgan & Goldman still try to keep the share price above $800?

The underwriters have until Wednesday, February 19 to exercise their option to purchase shares at the offered price. Not advice but I suspicion there will be attempts to keep the price at or above the current level until then. What happens Thursday and Friday will definitely be interesting. Does the price stay up, or do the buyers capitalize on the arbitrage?

Do other Porsche cars(Panamera, for example, but potentially any of their cars) not have those features? It's definitely looking likely, but I'm wary to take this from a single report on Twitter...

No, Panamera doesn't have a post-roofline double gap like that at all. It has a double gap that begins under the roofline, and is shaped entirely different.

There's way too many details matching on the frame for there to be any ambiguity. You can even count the numbers and shapes of the "teeth". And this is just on one component - I can zoom in on others if you want. This is a Taycan, full stop. Now, as for why it burned down, we have no idea. For all we know, someone could have doused it in gasoline and lit it on fire.

But a Taycan did burn down in a garage.

Now we are playing the same game on Porsche that others play on Tesla. Great.

Noone know why this garage burned down yet we jump to conclusions. Will this even affect TSLA?

The (literal) flaming out of a perceived competitor would, of course, affect TSLA.

And this isn't quite the same as others do to Tesla. The car fires for Tesla didn't start until late 2013, with thousands of Tesla's already in existence.

Gee, why does this sound familiar.... ;)

(Exact same thing we heard 2 years ago out of Germany)

ED: Hmm, after reading, this appears to be an interesting, different, but just damning problem: Tesla's centralized "car OS" (rather than using a bunch of disjoint boxes produced by different OEMs) poses a threat to their codependent relationship with their suppliers:

The real reason for holding off? Automakers worry that computers like Tesla's will render obsolete the parts supply chains they have cultivated over decades, the engineer said.

Such systems will drastically cut the number of electronic control units, or ECUs, in cars. For suppliers that depend on these components, and their employees, this is a matter of life and death.

So big automakers apparently feel obliged to continue using complicated webs of dozens of ECUs, while we only found a few in the Model 3. Put another way, the supply chains that have helped today's auto giants grow are now beginning to hamper their ability to innovate.

Then there's this - vertical integration on display:

Our teardown underscored this in another way as well.

Most parts inside the Model 3 do not bear the name of a supplier. Instead, many have the Tesla logo, including the substrates inside the ECUs. This suggests the company maintains tight control over the development of almost all key technologies in the car.

This can be seen in the smartphone industry. It's basically the difference between being Apple, who develop a lot of their own components in-house including the Ax SoC and the modem, and most other smartphone manufacturers who use a Qualcomm or other off-the-shelf SoC and modem combination. You can see the the difficulty in developing a performant SoC in-house with the challenges Samsung has had with Exynos.

There is no way to properly optimize both hardware and software unless you develop both, and only Apple develops both their own hardware and the operating system (iOS). The other smartphone manufacturers are at a double disadvantage, they use a Qualcomm Snapdragon and then also use Google's open-source Android OS. Many of the manufacturers have at least some degree of customization, from Samsung's heavily modified One UI on one hand to the nearly stock Pixel version of Android. But they are all heavily hamstrung by the fact that it must be Android and must be able to run all Android-compatible binaries, whereas Apple can do whatever they want with iOS. This is why Apple could just transition to 64-bit because they felt like it, but on the Android side trying to match Apple and transition to 64-bit ended up being a 2 years disaster.

And this also is why iPhones perform better than Androids even though Apple are cheap and purposely give them as little RAM as humanly possible to keep their margins up.

Thing is, where were CATL, LG Chem or Panasonic when Maxwell was trying to find someone to bid against Tesla?

I assume that at the time, they thought Tesla was a flash in the pan that would be out of their hair soon.

If Tesla puts on a show with a road map to TWh of capacity, those companies may be shocked into action.

Or maybe not, but I wouldn't be counting on Ford to save the day. I think it's either cell manufacturers or Tesla just wins. :)

P.S. Oops, forgot that Nikola has the best battery of anybody!

Semi-OT

This might be an obvious thing to point out, but the other day I was considering Elon's complete master plan. Obviously Mars factors in there, but if his plan works not only will he be the man who did all of these crazy things, but he will likely be remembered as the Father of Mars. That's a pretty crazy thought. I know I'm dipping dangerously close to fan boy territory, but he may be Columbus (with less genocide hopefully) mixed with George Washington to future generations.
Whoa, looks like Porsche is really determined to catch up to Tesla!
First stationary EV fire: Check!
Now they only need to deliver several hundreds of thousands of units per year... but that's the easy bit! :rolleyes:
The TSLAQ champions of consumer safety will be all over this right? I mean, they really are concerned about loss of life and aren't just concern trolling to make a buck after all.

No, Panamera doesn't have a post-roofline double gap like that at all. It has a double gap that begins under the roofline, and is shaped entirely different.

There's way too many details matching on the frame for there to be any ambiguity. You can even count the numbers and shapes of the "teeth". And this is just on one component - I can zoom in on others if you want. This is a Taycan, full stop. Now, as for why it burned down, we have no idea. For all we know, someone could have doused it in gasoline and lit it on fire.

But a Taycan did burn down in a garage.

Fair enough. Now to await the headlines: "Car from 'Tesla of Germany' Explodes, Destroying Garage"

I assume that at the time, they thought Tesla was a flash in the pan that would be out of their hair soon.

If Tesla puts on a show with a road map to TWh of capacity, those companies may be shocked into action.

Or maybe not, but I wouldn't be counting on Ford to save the day. I think it's either cell manufacturers or Tesla just wins. :)

P.S. Oops, forgot that Nikola has the best battery of anybody!
Whether or not they think Tesla is a flash in the pan (which seems doubtful considering Panasonic's partnership) is irrelevant to their interest [or, rather, the lack thereof] in Maxwell -- just last year -- which is the entire point. They have no vision.

Reactions: Eugene Ash
Now we are playing the same game on Porsche that others play on Tesla. Great.

Noone know why this garage burned down yet we jump to conclusions. Will this even affect TSLA?

Yes, indirectly.

See, until now Tesla was all alone exploring the potential benefits, but also the pitfalls, of building a high-performance EV. And consequently, some commentators would admire their achievements and the great performance the cars provide, while others would point at the disadvantages EVs intrinsically have compared to ICEVs. Things like how you have to wait freezing for hours in your car for the battery to charge (if you're a WSJ journo dum-dum), or how there aren't enough charging points, and yes, how these newfangled cars just seem to spontaneously burst into flames!

Nevermind that Li-ion batteries don't actually "explode" but rather burn (it's gasoline that does the exploding thing); that there are statistically many more internal combustion cars burning down than EVs; or that the vast number of cases where a Tesla caught on fire was as a result of a high-speed collision or a foreign object penetrating the battery enclosure, the latter being significantly reduced when Tesla started adding a Ti alloy armour plate to the battery pack underside.

So now that we have new "players" in the field, we get to witness them experiencing the same pitfalls that Tesla experienced and (importantly) learned to avoid. They now have to figure out so many of the things that make manufacturing a reliable EV difficult, which Tesla has already sorted. So when the public sees a Porsche Taycan burning to the ground, some will notice how there are actually very, very few cases of a Tesla Model 3 burning down due to battery pack combustion, and none of those occurred with a stationary vehicle. Yes, this fire will attract attention, and it will help emphasise (again) how far ahead Tesla is when it comes to making long-range, high-performance, reliable, connected, OTA-upgradeable, easy-to-charge EVs.

Last edited:
Whether or not they think Tesla is a flash in the pan (which seems doubtful considering Panasonic's partnership) is irrelevant to their interest [or, rather, the lack thereof] in Maxwell -- just last year -- which is the entire point. They have no vision.

OK, I can't really argue with that.

It's just that if we're going to posit someone to compete with Tesla for battery technology, I think the automotive OEMs are even farther down the list.

Reactions: humbaba
There's no ambiguity. There's some *very* distinct frame components to the Taycan.

Nafnlaus on Twitter

View attachment 512094

Take a good look at that distinctive "double gap" component at the back of the roof rails. Tons of small details, and everything matches precisely - even down to the sawtooth "teeth" at the bottom.

This is a Taycan. Full stop.
Google search for taycan fire florida garage comes up with no 'news' and only articles on tesla. While i don't want to pour fire on an EV burning, even if it is porsche, but if something like that happened with tesla, it makes all news headlines and tickers. Some of us suffered while supporting the tesla mission all the while fudsters ran with reports of fires after 100+ mph accidents....

Google search for taycan fire florida garage comes up with no 'news' and only articles on tesla. While i don't want to pour fire on an EV burning, even if it is porsche, but if something like that happened with tesla, it makes all news headlines and tickers. Some of us suffered while supporting the tesla mission all the while fudsters ran with reports of fires after 100+ mph accidents....
I just did a Google search for "Porsche Taycan" (before seeing your post) and, yeah, nothing. Tried "Taycan fire", same.

I wouldn't be surprised if the first media reports only pop up after the police investigation confirms it was indeed a Porsche Taycan, and if those media reports include some mention about how "EV fires are a common occurrence, with multiple Tesla vehicles reported to have burst into flames etc. etc.". We all know they will find a way to link this back to Tesla somehow.

I just did a Google search for "Porsche Taycan" (before seeing your post) and, yeah, nothing. Tried "Taycan fire", same.

I wouldn't be surprised if the first media reports only pop up after the police investigation confirms it was indeed a Porsche Taycan, and if those media reports include some mention about how "EV fires are a common occurrence, with multiple Tesla vehicles reported to have burst into flames etc. etc.". We all know they will find a way to link this back to Tesla somehow.
That's because nobody is going to click on an article that says "Porsche Taycan". If an article has "Tesla" in the title or some Tesla connection, then of course they know they can generate those clicks even if it is just FUD.

Media could definitely try to use clickbait and attach this to Tesla indirectly by trying to sell some FUD about EVs being unsafe. Lithium ion batteries, etc...

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Synthetic long and short positions are considered riskier than spreads, because of their easy leverage and the resulting big potential losses - while spreads have a limited downside. Synthetic options positions are "stock replacement strategies" that have less upfront cash/margin footprints than owning the stock.

As a stock replacement strategy another approach is to score a few long term lottery tickets that move deep in the money - those will follow the stock most of the time, but use up only a fraction of the initial investment. The downside is the significant premium paid relative to stock: a 2022/01 LEAP at-the-money contract is trading at a $220 premium at the moment - this is the amount of gains you give up over 2 years time period should the stock stay flat at the current $800, and you'll only start making at $1,000 and above.

Another approach is to go with deep out of the money options and write it off as an investment loss straight away - for example the 2022/01 LEAPS at $1,880's are going for around $55 right now - which is still elevated and assumes big, over 140% appreciation in the TSLA stock price in the next two years to reach the $1,935 break-even price, and IV of these is still well above the historic average of 50% at 53%.

The $1,500-$1,880 2022's are probably the closest to any realistically priced long term shots at the moment, but of course there's a significant risk of a 100% loss, plus there will be an unnerving draw-down of the position should there be a significant dip. No more inexpensive moonshots available anymore.

A middle-of-the-road approach would be $1,250 2-year LEAPs for around $110 which assume appreciation to $1,360 as a break-even point - this is a 35% annual upside which is more or less consistent with a bull thesis and allows the harvesting of any explosive appreciation.

There's significant downside risks compared to just using the cash to buy stock, and the leverage isn't all that great, a few days after a big run-up is usually not a good moment to buy bullish options.

Not advice.
All options have become extremely expensive. What is surprising me is looking back on how cheap these were October/November last year! Looking through my history- Last year, on October 29 I bought September 425 strike at $18, March 20, 410 strike at $8 and Feb 28, 470 strike at $2.5. This is when the stock was at $310. So betting for an increase of 40% to 60% on the underlying stock was quite a reasonable premium.

Comparing to now, a 40% to 60% increase in underlying stock would be $1100 to $1300.
Jan’21 1200 are $70,
June’20 1100 are at ~$45 , and
May’20 1300 are ~$15.
These feel a lot more expensive to me.

Hm, that's a real mystery, why could that be??

Volkswagen Group leads automotive spending on advertising

"Fifteen automakers and tire maker Bridgestone Corp. constituted the automotive category on the World’s Largest Advertisers list. Seven of those automakers made the top 25, Advertising Age, an affiliate of Automotive News, reported this month."

"VW ranked No. 4 on the biggest-spenders list, with its ad spending in 2015 totaling $6.6 billion."​