Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
there is so much fear in the markets right now
How is that?
People just selling no matter the cost, and buyers sitting back just watching it drop?
What is the mindset of people when they sell while it is dropping? Do they lose faith in themselves? They can't see TSLA as any worse off than they did last week?
I am new to this, but it just does not make sense that people, oh wait.... "people"...
Never mind, I understand now..I never could understand people.

Guy, I'll be honest with you. I'm kinda panicking. I honestly believe in the Tesla mission and the cars are awesome. But I just bought in at 900 and bought dips at 830 and 800. Probably got more than I should've and not really in the position to get more. Should I cut my losses? How much more is this going to drop?
I’m not panicking. Wish I had some dry powder so I could buy more.

Last edited:
Guy, I'll be honest with you. I'm kinda panicking. I honestly believe in the Tesla mission and the cars are awesome. But I just bought in at 900 and bought dips at 830 and 800. Probably got more than I should've and not really in the position to get more. Should I cut my losses? How much more is this going to drop?
Sigh

C'mon Karen. I said it is repading uncontrolled (i.e. we currently have no city level quarantine) and this will lead to quarantines. Mincing words is a waste of time.

And yea, of course everything will return to normal. Anyone and everyone knows this. That's not the point of my post or others here trying to bring some common sense to the board on this topic which are discussing the near term impact of this on the markets and Tesla.

And for those who disagreed with me we will see who was right in next 3-4 months. Honestly, I would love to be wrong and will mea culpa. But based on the experts (READ: not you or me) the transmission rate of this virus is very high versus the flu and people often have it but don't know it...so I think its likely spreading right now inside US and I would not be surprised to learn that many had it and no one tested them because we are in midst of flu season.

There's two scenarios: the international medical community fights it, with quarantines (current status), or they decide that the wall has been breached, wherein they switch to a focus on amelioration. You can't have it both widespread, spreading without control, and have quarantines, at the same time. There's no logic to quarantining something you can't stop. Instead, it becomes about minimizing disruption, minimizing spread within communities, and maximizing treatment.

As it stands, we're in the former situation. The latter is also a real possibility. But not both at the same time.

You’ll be fine. Go for a walk or something

Me right now:
gfx.jpg

I was mostly thinking of the people who have shares at a basis of $200. Who knows what the tax rate will be on capital gains in 5, 10, 15 years from now other than the fact they won’t be lower

No, that's not a "fact". You should brush up on the real definition of the word "fact".

Also, because of the effect of compounding gains, paying taxes now makes it pretty hard to beat the returns 5-10 years down the road if you can let (what you would have paid in taxes) continue to grow and compound. This is true even if the future tax rate is considerably higher. However, many will be paying a lower tax rate in retirement since the long-term capital gains tax varies with income. Selling even a fraction of my shares now would ensure I'm paying 20% tax. Ooops. More than that because they are all short-term capital gains. More like 40% if memory serves.

The tax thing gets pretty complicated when trading in/out of your position. I suggest you talk to a tax advisor about how your future financial situation will look if you trade in/out vs. buying and holding. Your advisor will need to make different scenarios depending upon the expected average annual appreciation of the stock in question and other things.

Why panic? Did anything change fundamentally about Tesla since you bought? If not then just wait it out. It’s only a paper loss until you sell. If anything, you’re lucky. If the price stays low for a few weeks, you have the opportunity to lower your cost basis.

Buy high and sell low is not a winning trading strategy. If you believe in the fundamentals of the company which have not changed then it would not make sense to sell now unless you cannot afford to be down because you're leveraged in some way. P.S. not advice. :rolleyes:

I think a lot of people here have a cost basis of $300 or less so they are feeling less stress.

I'm not going to predict short term price movements, but I do think Coronavirus is making everyone's imaginations run wild. If we had reacted to it a bit at a time over the past month or so, I don't think the drop would have been as drastic. Most people have just said it is no big deal and continued this massive bull run. I'm sure once we get more information on where we are at with this virus in a couple weeks (infection rates, containment, etc), things will settle down.

If you panic when the SP drops due to macros, you have no business investing. Not just TSLA - in the stock market in general.

IMHO.

When the panic is gone, the stocks will return up. In 6 or 8 weeks a vaccin might be developped, also the spring will do a lot. You don't have to wait long.