Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Regarding the concerns of others who might be concerned about my financial well-being, with markets crashing and all, Charles Schwab has a feature that allows me to compare our brokerage account net worth over various time periods. At the close of the market today I used the one-month comparison and learned we were up over $274,000 today vs. 30 days ago. And the longer the time period I chose, the bigger that number was as far back as the comparison tool would let me see (2009). And we only take money out, never put more in.

This is the power of looking at the big picture, buying good companies and not worrying about temporary setbacks like the Coronavirus while you let your (hopefully great) investments compound over time. I've had flat to down years a number of times but the good and great years more than make up for them so I simply don't worry if my account value fluctuates quite a bit from year to year. Most of the "fluctuation" is very uplifting overall. :)

Same. It's easy to overlook the short term when all I have to do is look at my Schwab account from where it was just 30 days or 3 months ago and it's still deep in the green. Ready to buy this dip some more, or watch it go back up. Either way, I'm good.

Reactions: StealthP3D
There are costs** associated with stopping quarantines too, mind you. Increased healthcare costs, increased workplace absenteeism, etc.

But right now, you're overwhelmingly just looking at one thing, and that thing is fear.

** From a cynical point of view, there's also longer-term healthcare savings from having a disease that's primarily a risk to the elderly and people with preexisting conditions kill them off via pneumonia, rather than a slow wasting disease...
Yes, that is the reason why they are making such a point of this virus. They can't handle the flood of patiënts when it really starts spreading. But prepare, it will spread. The first patiënt in NL was infected when he was partying at Carnaval ....

https://www.who.int/docs/default-so...na-joint-mission-on-covid-19-final-report.pdf

2b0254755e4189bf157b1f323f2eb6f7.png

Jacob Rasmussen on Twitter
thread on recommendations

Wrote a post earlier regards to the Model 3 being nominated as World car of the year 2020 and that the reveal of the winner would take place on Monday at the Motor Show.

Seems like now the entire Geneva Motorshow has been canceled due to Coronavirus :(
Geneva car show canceled as coronavirus spreads in Europe - CNN
I would rather like to see this overreacting human behaviour concerning sustainability and environment cases...
Corona is ruling "German angst" :mad::confused:

It's not the size of the pin that pops the bubble that matters - it's the size of the bubble. We are only now back to Oct 2019 price levels. retesting Jan 2018 levels is likely in the next few months.
This is nonsense. We are revisiting levels we passed through for the first time ever just last month. This is actually normal and healthy to consolidate recent gains.

Can’t help but ruminate on what markets more fully mature out of outbreaks such as this? Markets that specialize in disconnecting us from unnecessary contact during infectious disease season.

There are still such antiquated ways of doing business. I had a recent meeting about some impending construction. The state department of transportation requested this meeting and I accepted. It eventually went from a conference call to a face to face and I refused the face to face. You want me to hop in the company ICE, with four of my staff, drive 40 miles one way polluting the atmosphere, shake hands with you during cold and flu season and look at something on paper that is actually easier to zoom in on with a .pdf? No thanks. They finally agreed to a conference call where everything was assessed and resolved just fine.

To unterstand global risks for the economy like the corona virus better its good advice to listen to experts who deal with these sorts of risks ever day and have advanced models for it.

One of the largest companies and expert in that respect is the Munich Re where the CFO had an interview today stating that they don't see it as a big risk. To make it a big risk he said you have to have hundreds of thousands of fatalities he commented which is something they don't see right now.

He does not see it to developed into a massive damaging incident, he concluded. It would be devastating for Munich Re to take such a risk lightly therefore we can assume they did their homework.

VIRUS: Munich Re sieht bisher keine hohen Belastungen durch Corona-Folgen

Disclosure. Sold all yesterday at $700 before closing bell. Had 98% of all investments (other than my home) in TSLA.

Why? Four things happened yesterday which changed my position on COVID-19
- Advancement of confirmed cases in South Korea, Iran and Italy.
- Japan closing all schools affecting over $13 million children.
- My employer, large international firm with 90,000 employees, intruduced a travel restrictions, immediately, everywhere.
- Shut down of the Toronto Stock Exchange two hours early yesterday due to "glitch".

Unpresedented events call for unpresedented action. My position is to conserve wealth at the risk of losing future gains. If I'm losing sleep over my investments and it is negatively affecting my health and behaviour, than for me I know it is time to sell. Noted above, putting all my eggs in one basket also carries risks which I am no longer willing to take. Plan to reenter TSLA as they will come out on top of the auto, transport, solar and battery storage and grid management. And Elon securing $2B just days ago to shore up their balance sheet was brilliant. However I do believe there will be a resetting of the economy to a lower level across the board and it may take some time to store confidence. I'm guessing it will take three to six months to get COVID-19 in control, hopefully less, potentially more. The World economy will be negatively affected until then. One tree, many leaves (EPIC).

The last time I sold was in May 2019, for $220 and bough back a few months later at $300. Also had sold years ago at $180 buying back in at $330. So my track record sucks, although I'm o'k with my actions. Lucky to have discover Tesla in 2012 and start buying at $30. Most are not that lucky. My other sold periods were for reasons specific to Tesla. This time I'm fully at peace with Tesla, but selling for reasons outside of Tesla's control.

I look at you all here on TMC as my friends over the last eight years. Read almost every post on this thread and will continue to do so. Wishing you all happiness, good health and prosperity. God bless.

Edit - added my forth reason above

Last edited:
Few thoughts completely separated from the Coronavirus...

Could there be an ongoing re-tooling for the Model S/X line that will swift rollout the long overdue facelift with new interior and a few other bits and bobs in combination with the new battery packs? Reason for elaborating is because in Europe deliveries is set to take place in May if ordering today and as we all know battery day will (probably at least) take place sometime late April. We also know that Tesla do everything to eliminate any kind of Osbourning effect and a reveal of updated S/X at battery day could make sense. It also seems that very few S/X are in stock or delivered as of late so it seems like Tesla maybe is lowering production preparing for this re-tooling? Anyone with more insights into production figures for X/S can of course correct my lack of knowledge in this domain.

Not sure if this has been mentioned earlier in this thread, but Car of the year is coming up and Tesla Model 3 is according to the whisper i've heard in Europe likely to come out as the winner of the 7 remaining candidates.

The winner of Car of the year 2020 will be revealed @ Geneva Motorshow on Monday the 2nd of March (in the evening CET). This can hopefully have some positive impact to TSLA in light of Corona ;) Let's hope!
Car of the Year
Geneva Show will not take place. Swiss Federal Government has forbidden events with more than a thousand attendants as of today 10 am CET. Valid at least until 15th of march. Can be prolonged. All carnival festivities etc. are cancelled as an anti CV measure.

Last edited:
I find comfort in knowing that literally everything is getting obliterated, not just Tesla. Tbh I haven’t even checked Tesla’s SP these past few days. Thank god I pulled out 95% of all my options and a sliver of shares near the top. Almost covered my whole cost basis in profit

This disclosure is a bit to late,since you were saying "Buy 1800's". (Apologies if you had in fact mentioned that you sold all positions at the top)

Not picking on you, but here is an example where TMC readers must not blindly follow suggestions on the blog. Especially from folks hitting it out of the ball park.

I find it interesting that the Tesla Big Battery in Hornsdale, Australia not only provide power when needed but also disrupted a Fossil Fuel Generator cartel-like operation.

Almost all of the savings delivered by the Hornsdale battery came from its role in frequency and ancillary control markets, a key part of network security that had previously been the domain of fossil fuel generators, so much so that in South Australia these fossil fuel generators controlled the market like a cartel.​

Hornsdale big battery doubles savings to consumers, and keeps lights on | RenewEconomy

Reporting "Failure-to-Deliver" equities by a Broker is required by the SEC only if the FTD remains open for 13 consecutive trading days.

If the broker CAN find the shares they sold WITHOUT locating them within 13 days, then they do not EVER have to report the crime.

If they ARE forced to report an sale as an FTD, there are almost no consequences on the books, and those are never inforced. Imma leave the rest to your google-foo now that you have some srch terms... Searching my post history here will give you more. This is a long-standing issue, since Rule 201 was created in 2008-ish.

Paging @Hock1

Cheers!
Sad, but true. So, let's summarize:
With a market maker designation (all brokers and many hedge funds are MMs)
1) one can short shares that do not exist
2) These non-existent shares can be sold on downticks.
3)
On settlement day (T+2), the buyer of these "shares" is required to deliver cash for the shares purchased, while the seller may or may not deliver the shares as required.

What is particularly maddening is: back in 1938 the SEC implemented the uptick rule for all short sales in order "to protect investors from manipulative short sellers". In 2007, the uptick rule was revoked and shortly after, "circuit breakers", consisting of the implementation of a temporary uptick rule (basically 1-2 days) were created . Most manipulators usually have a good supply of long stock for occasions when the temporary uptick rule is in effect. They simply sell the long stock on downticks which achieves the same purpose as manipulative short selling.

Buying and holding long term, by its nature, is a very difficult endeavor and most people cannot do it. These short-term manipulations make it an order of magnitude harder. Thanks, SEC.