Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As far as I know all Tesla events are invite only. And for the autonomy investor day I think there were only like 30 people invited.

Also, I don't think the location for battery and powertrain day has been announced. The only thing that has been mention is a "company talk" at GF2 in April, but that is a different event. (That I think is just for employees.)

Do you have official information that this is a separate event?

My impression is "Company Day" at GF Buffalo includes at least 1 Plaid Model S/X with a new battery pack..

It is my further guess that a "Production Version" Plaid Model S with return to the 'ring in the European Spring/Summer/Autumn and try to set an official lap time.

Followed by production of Plaid Model S/X towards the end of this year..

So for "Company Day" (assuming my assumptions are correct) there is going to be a live video stream and that is how most of us are going to experience it.

Any live crowd may be cut down in size, pre-screened, partitioned, given protective clothing etc...

So if "Company Day" is what I assume it is, there may be reasons why turning it more of a live stream event is better than delaying it.

Just a new measure to prop up the markets.
“We are to be meeting with House Republicans, Mitch McConnell, and discussing a possible payroll tax cut or relief, substantial relief, very substantial relief,” Trump said..

How long will this last?
This was done during the 2008 recession (took effect in 2011 IIRC). Personal payroll Social Security tax was cut from 6.2% to 4.2%.

• Informative
Reactions: JusRelax and deffu
After-action Report: Mon, Mar 09, 2020: (Full-Day's Trading)

VWAP: $627.52
Volume: 17,081,708
Traded: $$10,719,123,403.11 ($10.72 B)

Closing SP / VWAP: 96.85%
(TSLA closed BELOW today's Avg SP)​

Comment: "Paper Losses" :p

TSLA - SUMMARY TABLE - 2020-03-09.png

Last edited:
It was clearly non-competitive. It had an early 2010's Non-Tesla EV range (89 miles?!). I'm waiting to see if they cancel their hydrogen variant as well.

Not sure what Japanese car company is pivoting to BEVs fast enough. At least it seems like Hyundai / Kia are doing more.
I just test drove a highest trim Kona Electric a few days ago. It did have several ways in which it was better than a Model 3: ventilated seats, power sunroof, and a heads up display. However, lacking software updates, serious range (258 EPA), and any hint of power, it was hardly a competitor. Ugly screen, lots of knobs and buttons, and driver assist type stuff that didn't seem to work consistently. Also, of course, no obvious charging solution for road trips. The sales guy was very enthusiastic though. Kept telling me how it was the best of the best at various things.

On the whole it wasn't awful. I can imagine they'll sell some to Hyundai customers who want to move away from ICE cars. But there's no way an existing Tesla owner would consider a downgrade like that.

I just test drove a highest trim Kona Electric a few days ago. It did have several ways in which it was better than a Model 3: ventilated seats, power sunroof, and a heads up display. However, lacking software updates, serious range (258 EPA), and any hint of power, it was hardly a competitor. Ugly screen, lots of knobs and buttons, and driver assist type stuff that didn't seem to work consistently. Also, of course, no obvious charging solution for road trips. The sales guy was very enthusiastic though. Kept telling me how it was the best of the best at various things.

On the whole it wasn't awful. I can imagine they'll sell some to Hyundai customers who want to move away from ICE cars. But there's no way an existing Tesla owner would consider a downgrade like that.
Thanks for the objective info, unlike Car & Driver or Road & Track. I agree, the Koreans aren't Tesla's equal at this time, but they catch up quick, at least from the individual car aspect. The other moats like available fast charging and ota updates will take longer, but I bet they get there quicker than the other competition...

I just can't wait to see a picture of Gates charging his Taycan at a Walmart...

Big investment firms use events such as this to rotate out of stocks with little future and into investments with a brighter future. That's why I expect TSLA to lead the climb out of the Coronavirus hole. I'm welcoming this shake-up because I believe it will highlight and validate TSLA's recent climb out of the $200's-$300's and into the $700's-$900's and eventually beyond. Probably sooner than many here expect

If Robinhood users are any indication, there are way more people using this 'covid-dip' to get in on TSLA, than there are people getting out of TSLA.

Obviously there must be larger institutions of some sort unloading for the SP to have gone down this much, but it's still good to see there are a number of investors happy to get in on TSLA at $600-$750.

robintrack.jpg

I have to return to work this Thursday. It will be interesting to see how busy the airport's are. Since I am based in Atlanta it should be easy to gauge how much travel has been restricted.

Wish I had more dry powder as I do love a good sale price. However the "do nothing" side of me is also pretty content.
My crystal ball ( not really all that clear these day's mind you) says by May the Debbie downers among us will be back to dancing a happy dance. And I will be feeling just as I am now...content and happy.

Peace

South SF Bay area here. Here's what I and my husband observed around 5pm which is normally packed roadways. I was out just before 5pm to run to the post office and there was barely any traffic on the main roads in town. Usually the lanes of traffic are many cars deep at lights. Drove past the local VTA (regional bus/corporate bus/train station lot) and a definite noticeable absence of vehicles than usual at this hour. My husband just arrived home and said up on the Peninsula where he works traffic was really light. People waiting for buses hardly anyone, no cars backed up at metering lights on 101, he made it home in lightspeed for leaving at 5pm.

Oh and just heard on the news in the car that a 60 year old woman died from the coronavirus at El Camino Hospital on the Peninsula today. Didn't say if she had any underlying health conditions but they just said older people should be especially careful. On TV today they did a breaking news broadcast of the cruise ship that's been hugging the coast as it entered SF Bay under the Golden Gate to dock at a special area of the Oakland port. Said it would take about 3 days to process all the passengers to either hospitals or quarantined military bases for the next two weeks. I think the plan is to let the crew stay on the vessel.

I've been contemplating buying some shares in a solar related company and almost pulled the trigger today. Long term investor and feel that while the solar and EV market is down now do not think it will stay that way once the oil guys are done pushing out their competion during this price/production war they have going on. When the price of gas goes back up to $4-5 level for consumers, well it seems everyone around here is driving a huge pickup or SUV, I think we'll see fewer of these ICE vehicles on the road. So optimistic on the solar/ev front in general.

Last edited:
There is a lot of manipulation in the Markets by governments. No such thing as a truly free market. Gov't gets in the way. We are in the early stages of a sizable economic reality shift and already we have 1/2 point interest rate cut in US & Canada, and likely payroll tax deduction and bail out of airlines within the next week. Propping up the market, short term gains serve to lengthen and increase the overall negative impact of this new era. Pull the bandaid off in one stroke, works best. Are bailouts for OEM coming? If so, would Gov't reduce or delay or even eliminate emissions fines to keep OEM out of bankwupt? This is more probable than taking the penalty fees with one hand and giving bailouts with the other. This would be a negative for Tesla (TSLA) which is expecting significant revenue due to the incompetence and unwillingness of OEM to change their polluting ways.

According to a passenger's live leak video only 2 passengers infected, while19 crew members infected:
Liveleak.com - USA: 'Everybody is scared' - Passenger of coronavirus-stricken Grand Princess cruise ship

The news I've read and heard is that they only helicopter dropped so many test kits to be used on a small subset* of the passengers and crew. There are something like 3500 passengers/crew total on the ship. Of the subset tested 19 crew members were infected and 2 passengers at the time they tested. Big difference if you didn't know that most of the people onboard have never been tested yet. At some point recently they were able to provide TV reception to the passengers stuck in their rooms so my guess is the person who reported that "leak" just heard what had been stated on the news early on as far as the test result totals and not the number tested.

My husband has a co-worker who went with his family on the Star Trek cruise from Miami and the Carribean that was due back in Miami on Sunday 3/8. He hasn't heard what their situation is yet and we are both curious. A number of the actors from the various ST shows were onboard as well. I'm thinking they maybe be facing two weeks of quarantine as well.

* yep only 45 kits were used. https://www.marinelog.com/news/vide...sults-from-test-kits-delivered-by-helicopter/

Last edited:
L
There is a lot of manipulation in the Markets by governments. No such thing as a truly free market. Gov't gets in the way. We are in the early stages of a sizable economic reality shift and already we have 1/2 point interest rate cut in US & Canada, and likely payroll tax deduction and bail out of airlines within the next week. Propping up the market, short term gains serve to lengthen and increase the overall negative impact of this new era. Pull the bandaid off in one stroke, works best. Are bailouts for OEM coming? If so, would Gov't reduce or delay or even eliminate emissions fines to keep OEM out of bankwupt? This is more probable than taking the penalty fees with one hand and giving bailouts with the other. This would be a negative for Tesla (TSLA) which is expecting significant revenue due to the incompetence and unwillingness of OEM to change their polluting ways.
I think the primary goal is to prop up the entire market while we wait for the summer, test kits, and drug trials. As far as individual industries, I dont think its a focus right now. Trump doesnt seem to give a crap about the oil war, at least not yet

Actually, the $SPX took four years from the bottom to regain the old highs. But that was a particularly brutal event because the underpinnings that failed were so interwoven into the economy as a whole. This situation is MUCH different. There's a reason it's called "the Great Recession".

If the country goes on lock-down, baseball games are played in empty stadiums, truckers and port workers can't find work, etc., we are going to see a lot of car loan defaults, mortgage defaults and foreclosures, the list goes on. This can absolutely become as bad as 2008. I haven't sold any shares (although I wish I had). I am not backing up the truck until TSLA is a real bargain (under 400).

Really surprised we're not seeing a post lunch bump in TSLA. Is it a less beautiful day in NYC than it is in Philly?

How can you not buy Tesla stock on a 70 degree sunny day like this!

Yeah, 6° F for the low here today. Pretty frosty still, I think I'll wait some yet...

DailyShortSaleVolume.2020-03-09.png

Naked short selling as reported by FINRA reached notably high levels again today: Percentile rank 149 vs days since Jan 31, 2020 when the "Uptick Rule" was not in effect.

This is also a day when FINRA members reported only 36.95% (6,138,329) of the total volume traded on NASDAQ (16,614,757) during the Pre-market + Main sessions. So total naked shorting is largely unknown.

This smacks of rampant illegal manipulation by FINRA-reporting Market Makers, and moreover leaves 63% of all TSLA trading in the dark, without ANY visibility into potential abuse of MM privileges (Rule 201 Exemption to naked short selling for Market Makers).

#SEC #DOYOURJOB

My crystal ball says the line in the sand is 7300-7500 Nasdaq...the selling won't end until we touch that...corona was just the straw that broke camels back but not true cause...we have had a decade long bull breaking longevity records...Fed's used pretty much of of their ammo to pump liquidity into this mkt...TSLA will see 500-600 soon...odds high this will be the bottom imho....if 7500 on Naz doesn't hold the bull mkt is officially over and mkts will head south 50% so expecting 5000-6000 on the Naz(if 7300 doesn't hold)....but I think odds highly favor(80%ish) that we hold this level and then the bull is still intact....watch for VIX 80ish level.

tlsa will prob miss 1st quarter numbers...2nd quarter is about stability...third quarter business as usual and growth...4th quarter will be explosive.

Rode tsla from 200 to 800-900...mostly short tsla with puts the past few weeks...closed my tsla puts today...no need to get greedy....time to start buying increment positions for the long haul now.

Just know we haven't bottomed yet but getting close ...mkt's don't bottom with big after hour gap ups...moves like right now after mkt close is to entice suckers to go long in the morning before selling resumes...mkts truly reverse with huge intraday hammer candles...see you at 7300-7500 Naz!...:)...literally jmho of course so for amusement purposes only.

The news I've read and heard is that they only helicopter dropped so many test kits to be used on a small subset* of the passengers and crew. There are something like 3500 passengers/crew total on the ship. Of the subset tested 19 crew members were infected and 2 passengers at the time they tested. Big difference if you didn't know that most of the people onboard have never been tested yet. At some point recently they were able to provide TV reception to the passengers stuck in their rooms so my guess is the person who reported that "leak" just heard what had been stated on the news early on as far as the test result totals and not the number tested.

My husband has a co-worker who went with his family on the Star Trek cruise from Miami and the Carribean that was due back in Miami on Sunday 3/8. He hasn't heard what their situation is yet and we are both curious. A number of the actors from the various ST shows were onboard as well. I'm thinking they maybe be facing two weeks of quarantine as well.

* yep only 45 kits were used. VIDEO: Grand Princess awaits results from test kits delivered by helicopter - Marine Log

Yup. Not sure what they were thinking regarding testing. Were there a very limited amount of those beautiful tests contrary to what the WH tells the public? And I’m glad the authorities made sure to thank the Oakland residents for warmly welcoming the passengers onto their port, as if the locals had any say or advance notice of the decision.