Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Musk is probably looking at options. I wonder if he could replicate model 3 tent in a different state like Nevada?

I think the first step is contact the authorities find out exactly what the order means, and how Tesla could possibly keep the factory open by implementing additional safeguards.

IMO the authorities at least talk to businesses, and try to work with them..

The tent was only GA they still need stamping/ bodyshop / paint...

Any cars that just need GA may be able to be transported elsewhere and finished...they may be able to move all completed cars out of Fremont..

New After having read the lockdown order I do not see any chance the Fremont factory can stay open. Some have argued that producing/delivering new cars is essential (for safety, for replacement of a wrecked or broken car).

But car delivery, maintenance and supply facilities are explicitly listed in the order as "essential business".

But if that is the case then it's also essential to keep delivering tv's (need to be able to follow the news on corona) or refrigerators (need to be able to store food for a longer time to avoid going to the supermarket too often).

That might very well be so, but those are not listed in the order.

The very plain reading of the order includes "car parts" and "car supply" facilities - and you cannot supply cars if you cannot make them.

The Fremont factory is IMO fully within the letter and the spirit of the order.

(After-hours price action seems to agree, so far at least, TSLA up +2.2% currently.)

Haha thought for a second you were talking about Elon buying TSLA calls/LEAPS, then I read the next sentence. Share buyback would be funny after cap raise. Cap raise at 900 again. (No indication whatsoever of this)

Afterhours seems positive. Anyone thinking the market liked the US taking some serious precautions? For all I know the medical system collapsing was priced in and recent actions somewhat alleviates that risk.
View attachment 522530

Call me a pessimist, whatever, don’t care.
Regardless of whether things are priced in, this is all moving with sentiment and panic. That’s what matters right now IMO.

But what possible news is out there in the next week to reverse the market sentiment? Serious question.

The only sure thing in the immediate term I see are more restrictions in more places. And then more severe restrictions in places that lax restrictions doesn't seem to have as great an effect.

I’m telling you, there’s still dumb sacks everywhere who don’t acknowledge this, or who are just complaining about the restrictions.

We need a statement from Tesla re if the factory will be closed or not. Alternatively can someone local contact the authority to ask if Fremont is closing or not.

I doubt we'll hear any statements like this from Tesla until Q1 earnings call. As i mentioned in a different post 1-2 days ago, they seem to communicating less and instead laser focused on under-promise and over-deliver. I believe that 1-2 years ago we would've heard official statements from Tesla by now, but the new Tesla is operating differently.

OK, Elon did the right thing, and indirectly (and in a very smart manner) admitted that his corona virus stance was wrong. He is now tweeting potential cures for the virus. I predicted (got a ton of disagrees for that) that Elon would during the weekend do the grown up thing and admit he was wrong -was off by one day :)
It's funny watching you try to dance on the head of a pin trying to prove you were right. Elon did NOT say anything like what you're insinuating. All he said was:

You should take those words to heart. Panic is never helpful Reading more than that into a tweet is dumb.

But what possible news is out there in the next week to reverse the market sentiment? Serious question.

Couple of potential upsides in the next two weeks:
  • Most European countries have finally enacted serious containment measures, and the outbreak might start peaking - for example in Italy.
  • The first Covid-19 vaccine tests are now underway. Approval of new vaccines is much faster than that of new medicines.
  • There's clearly "peak fear" from the unknown - and as time passes the unknown shrinks. Eventually greed will dominate.
  • China is rebounding, this might show up in economic data in a couple of weeks.
  • Interest rate environment is very accommodative now - once the fear lessens people will refinance mortgages and will do deferred purchases.
  • There's the curious case of Germany with thousands of infected but only 0.25% mortality rate and less than 10 ICU patients. Milder strain? Better testing? Better procedures?
  • Also, financial markets are fundamentally forward looking, and they bottom out not when the worst of the crisis is reached, but when the stream of "surprise news" stops, which is often earlier than the economic bottom. The 2008-2009 market bottomed when Obama decided not to nationalize the big banks - which was months before the bottom of the recession.
There's obviously also various downsides, for example the U.S. healthcare system might start collapsing in major metro areas if social distancing fails, and the recession might be deeper and longer than expected.

But your "the glass is always half empty" world view is not particularly useful to pick bottoms - you'd be still short well into the recovery. :D

Last edited:
Everybody needs to chill out and quit stirring the righteous indignation and fear-mongering pots. Shut your phone, laptop, Internet device off and go have copious amounts of sex, walk around the block for some fresh air, save a stray cat, and reflect on all the things you should be thankful for.

Yes, but what if stray cats can carry the virus? :eek:
And what if someone coughs out of a second-story window while I'm walking around the block? :eek:
And if there are viruses in the fear-mongering pot, and I quit stirring it, might it not come to a boil and release all the viruses? :eek:
And if I stay at home, what if other family members introduce the virus to my home? :eek:
And if I go to the park, what if there are infected people there who cough upwind of me? :eek:
And if I stop breathing, won't I just die anyway? :eek:
Maybe I should just commit suicide? :eek:
But then I couldn't panic about the virus anymore. :(

Some people just love to panic, a response that is counter-productive to dealing with a challenge in a logical and productive manner. ;)

Exactly, i'm ok i'm a little overexposed on Tesla since they are they most innovative and nimble companies out there. They were built to thrive in a potentially challenging economy. No dealerships to support. Limited inventory. No advertising machine to support. Home deliveries. Online sales. etc

(Speaking from the perspective of not being leveraged and am somewhat diversified since we are not all in the same investment situations).

If Elon and the engineers had to lay low for a month or two, when they reemerged they'd have ideas and plans ready to start four new companies making god knows what revolutionary products nobody's dreamed of.

Call me a pessimist, whatever, don’t care.
Regardless of whether things are priced in, this is all moving with sentiment and panic. That’s what matters right now IMO.

The only sure thing in the immediate term I see are more restrictions in more places. And then more severe restrictions in places that lax restrictions doesn't seem to have as great an effect.

I’m telling you, there’s still dumb sacks everywhere who don’t acknowledge this, or who are just complaining about the restrictions.
Exactly! When everyone is in panic and it can only go down, it might just turn around. The people managing the billions that will sway the market are not those ignorant people you mention.
Maybe enough people believe in trend lines that it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy (down).
Reversals do happen and I can't tell you what the catalyst will be or even if there is any chance of a V recovery vs a slow recovery.

I suppose possible events could include Global bank meeting/ more from the feds.
Standardized and effective treatment of NCOV
Global Peak of NCOV (opposed to US, which I was initially thinking might be the bottom)
Maybe not all technicals are broken? Still trying to find out the significance but one fund manager was claiming 2350 on the SP500 should hold.

I have bets going both ways, so I just get to add TSLA the further down we go and my account value stays flat. My conviction is not strong either way right now, just suggesting a possibility.

Here, have some sunshine after a long couple weeks, I know we all need it :) It's not much but there are positive stories!
china.JPG

Last edited:
Does anyone know if the new regs in CA affect any ports they usually ship out of?

Lol, settle down, it's no where near $1B loss: ;)
  • Tesla is BATTERY CONSTRAINED; not production constrained
  • GF1/Sparks will continue at full speed; likely increase shipments to Shanghai
  • Fremont, when back on line, will quickly consume any excess inventory of bty packs
  • worse case for Q1 is 150M deferred (not lost) profit; then have Q2-4 make that up
Cheers!

P.S. Tesla is BATTERY CONSTRAINED :rolleyes:

At present it is hard to Tesla specific good news to break through and have any impact.
For example Model Y deliveries and the quality of the Model Y product haven't moved the market.
So good news is crowded out by bad news, but it is important to judge if good news is accumulating...
Genuine good news doesn't stay dormant and hidden forever, it surfaces when the bad news stops crowding it out.
Often there can be a 3-6 month lag before good news has any effect sometimes even longer.

So the tricky question is when will the bad news have run it course?

The bad news that has the most impact is, surprising bad news, after a while public become used to the bad news and there are fewer surprises... then we need to see some small signs things are getting slightly better.... hit those 2 conditions, and good news starts to have a chance.

• Helpful
Reactions: shootformoon
The very plain reading of the order includes "car parts" and "car supply" facilities - and you cannot supply cars if you cannot make them.

Wouldn’t they mean supply for cars, not of cars? That would make sense, as it is essential that cars keep running.

I hope your interpretation is the right one, but it seems like a stretch.

Apologize to all if I interrupt and post about something not corona virus related :D

Business goes on ...

GF4 Water supply is approved from the authorities and another barrier removed. Next one is the emission regulation and if thats passed I would see no reason why the construction permit could not be granted.

In fact the German economy Minister would be keen to announce something positive.

Couple of potential upsides in the next two weeks:
  • Most European countries have finally enacted serious containment measures, and the outbreak might start peaking - for example in Italy.
  • The first Covid-19 vaccine tests are now underway. Approval of new vaccines is much faster than that of new medicines.
  • There's clearly "peak fear" from the unknown - and as time passes the unknown shrinks. Eventually greed will dominate.
  • China is rebounding, this might show up in economic data in a couple of weeks.
  • Interest rate environment is very accommodative now - once the fear lessens people will refinance mortgages and will do deferred purchases.
  • There's the curious case of Germany with thousands of infected but only 0.25% mortality rate and less than 10 ICU patients. Milder strain? Better testing? Better procedures?
  • Also, financial markets are fundamentally forward looking, and they bottom out not when the worst of the crisis is reached, but when the stream of "surprise news" stops, which is often earlier than the economic bottom. The 2008-2009 market bottomed when Obama decided not to nationalize the big banks - which was months before the bottom of the recession.
There's obviously also various downsides, for example the U.S. healthcare system might start collapsing in major metro areas if social distancing fails, and the recession might be deeper and longer than expected.

But your "the glass is always half empty" world view is not particularly useful to pick bottoms - you'd be still short well into the recovery. :D

Germans, Beer?
Alcohool do kill viruses.

• Funny
Reactions: Fact Checking
Someone on Twitter from SF is claiming that the Tesla Factory in Fremont is still planning to stay open despite the shutdown. Lora Kolodny of course already reached out to her for a potential juicy anti-Tesla story.

Davina S on Twitter

Cant see the link anymore.

Anyways. Considering that Tesla was one of few remaining big name companies in greater Silicon Valley area to not have announced a WFH, and the fact that Tesla keeps a very strict work attendance policy at the factory, I wouldn’t doubt Elon keeps the factory open as long as the authorities don’t come forcing them out.

• Funny
Reactions: StealthP3D
Someone on Twitter from SF is claiming that the Tesla Factory in Fremont is still planning to stay open despite the shutdown. Lora Kolodny of course already reached out to her for a potential juicy anti-Tesla story.

Davina S on Twitter
I'll have to take your word for it, as that Twitter feed appears to be off-limits to the public:

Screen Shot 2020-03-16 at 17.22.31.png

But car delivery, maintenance and supply facilities are explicitly listed in the order as "essential business".

That might very well be so, but those are not listed in the order.

(After-hours price action seems to agree, so far at least, TSLA up +2.2% currently.)

Without a car in the US you don't get food, shelter or medicine which are all IMO essential elements and restricting it would make the situation worse not better.

While I am not always convinced that current US politicians understand the difference and hope that some smart enough still exist in CA. Sorry for my sarcasm here ;)

Giving a German example, if you belong to a profession that is required for public safety e.f. nurse, doctor, police, firework you can still bring your child into a kindergarten for a full day as the trade off is that its better in the situation versus shutting everything down.

What we have is a slow down and not shut down where it needs to be carefully decided what can be reduced and what not.

In Europe you don't actually need a car in all places but in the US its hard to imagine what you can do without. Having spare parts is one thing but if you can't get the spare part it does not help much.

Just my 2 cents.