Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OT (maybe a lot)
I agree that we'll probably see an even larger increase in on-line ordering, which is good in some ways (such as convenience) but bad in a lot of others, specifically the HUGE increase in the amount of cardboard, where unfortunately I'm seeing less and less of it recycled. This is especially distressing in my town where we have curbside recycling, yet I continue to see garbage cans overflowing with cardboard. And it's not just recycling. There needs to be an incentive-driven way to encourage reuse of cardboard. Personally I'd like to see Amazon, Walmart, and all other major shippers come up with a way of reimbursing individuals or small businesses who turn their custom-made boxes back into them for reusing on other shipments. There has got to be a good feasible method to reduce one time use of cardboard. Maybe like what used to happen with pop bottles... Oregon in particular had a great method of collecting them for reuse, not just recycling.

OK, off my rant, but I think you all know what I mean about this unintended consequence of ordering on-line.
Not from me you won't--they all get recycled. However, the biggest waste of cardboard is pizza boxes because they can't be recycled, only garbaged. So I don't order delivered pizza anymore.

I'd assume there will be some people who cancel because of the current situation.

But that doesn't change the number of cars made, nor the requirement that the sum of cars delivered is bounded by the sum of cars manufactured. Without a previous inventory overhang, you can't have a lot more deliveries than production in a quarter.

Elon can't sleep on the factory floor remotely.
Good thing Fremont and Giga are his houses. Tent on the roof again? (Private plane is looking good now too)

Data is just data there is nothing to agree to disagree. Let me know if you refer to something else.

About new cases in Europe
We have several days with either decline (Italy) or flattened (Germany) curve already with a few outliers growing (Spain). Interestingly this goes from the east to the west while the west is partly still increasing. Looking at Europe only data its kind of flat but that may change if a country goes exponential. My early hopes remain that Europe will get this under control - still some countries e.g. UK concern me.

The US does concern me as well as I am not sure that the measure will be sufficient and we all know about the US health care system.

Over time 60-70% will be infected before the world gets herd immunity. Thats not a danger but just the nature of any infection in different degrees. The question is how we get to that %age.

Right now we may see a scenario in the US where the economy get s wicker back to business than expected but thats paid with a high death rate and many victims.
I don`t want to answer in detail here, will post my OT reply in the CV thread, but i think it is just too early to call this a decline in new cases. We have seen patterns like this a week ago as well and then it came back stronger. Italy just reversed the downward trend yesterday and Germany grew again as well. More in the other topic, will link it for you once posted.

Last edited:
I don`t want to answer in detail here, will post my OT reply in the CV thread, but i think it is just too early to call this a decline in new cases. We have seen patterns like this a week ago as well and then it came back stronger. Italy just reversed the downward trend yesterday and Germany grew again as well. More in the other topic, will link it for you once posted.
Be careful to make sure you are talking about the same trends here. You say that Italy reversed the downward trend yesterday, and that's true for number of deaths, but it's untrue for number of (recorded) new cases, which kept the downward trend.
If you want to use number of deaths as your indicator that's fine, but imo the number of new (recorded) cases is a better one. Number of deaths is a trailing indicator of how the infection is going compared to new (recorded) cases and it's what everybody will look at to decide when to reopen.

Be careful to make sure you are talking about the same trends here. You say that Italy reversed the downward trend yesterday, and that's true for number of deaths, but it's untrue for number of (recorded) new cases, which kept the downward trend.
If you want to use number of deaths as your indicator that's fine, but imo the number of new (recorded) cases is a better one. Number of deaths is a trailing indicator of how the infection is going compared to new (recorded) cases and it's what everybody will look at to decide when to reopen.
No, I am talking about new cases. Italy had 4789 new cases in 3/23 and 5249 new cases on 3/24. Both the JHU site and the coronavirus.app site show the same data.

Reactions: skybluecgreen
No, I am talking about new cases. Italy had 4789 new cases in 3/23 and 5249 new cases on 3/24. Both the JHU site and the coronavirus.app site show the same data.
This is odd. Because that's not what I've been hearing on tv the whole day.
Il bollettino di martedì 24 marzo: per il terzo giorno rallenta la crescita dei contagi. 743 nuove vittime

I'll try to figure it out but we are getting OT again so I'll leave it here.

Edit: https://www.google.com/amp/amp.ilsole24ore.com/pagina/ADPWQbF

This one has number of new cases +8,1% on monday and +8,2% (5249) yestarday.

I'll say one thing: the situation is bloody confusing.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: capster and GOVA
Huh. This rocket-like rise baffles me. Have people realized a growth company is a better place to be in a crisis that affects revenues, or what? Any ideas? I actually bought back most of my hedge-sold shares on Monday, so I couldn't have timed it better, but I wasn't expecting this and it's freaking me out a little.

Reactions: willow_hiller
Huh. This rocket-like rise baffles me. Have people realized a growth company is a better place to be in a crisis that affects revenues, or what? Any ideas? I actually bought back most of my hedge-sold shares on Monday, so I couldn't have timed it better, but I wasn't expecting this and it's freaking me out a little.
You mean the rise that is less than Ford's? GM did better yesterday as well. Whether temporary bottom or not I won't argue, but it is obvious that the market is going back up.

so, we're back to late January pricing. hard for never-sell investors like me to be too mad about it. *shrug*

i mean sure, i could have made a pantload timing the market by selling it all at the peak and buying back in at the bottom, but nobody seems to get that right more than half the time.

i am fine just riding the roller coaster. i won't pretend to know where $TSLA will be in a day or a month, but i know where it will be in ten years.

When has price action ever made sense? Tesla was the same price as 2015 in 2019, even though it grew 10x. The stonk will grow in the long term, everything else is just noise. Even Apple has been cut in half many many times throughout the years. Only people that should be concerned about fluctuations are gamblers, call holders, and people on margin

OK, newbie question here, but this is an investor's thread, so I *think* it is On Topic: I have been considering selling some of my stock in my Ally account. Some of the shares were bought >1 year ago, and would sell at a profit. But, some other of the shares were purchased <1 year ago, and would sell at a loss. So, does the IRS consider the sale as just one sale, or is each tranche taxed separately? Does the loss of the more recent shares, if sold at the same time, offset some of the profits from the older shares? Or, am I taxed fully on the profits of the older shares, and the sale of the newer shares (a loss) are taxed at $0?