Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ll be disparaged, but I respect Left and Citron.

They’re highly effective.

I don’t like everything. But they’re highly effective.

None of this is or will ever be fair or straightforward.

Side note, help me sneak a Tesla inspired name for this little guy I just picked up today. Wifey was NOT okay with Model P.
How about Ludie?

Side note, help me sneak a Tesla inspired name for this little guy I just picked up today. Wifey was NOT okay with Model P.
How about Nikola?

Well, none of those CEOs are the founder of their company, they're just employees. It's almost unfair to them to have to go head to head with Elon Musk.

[ Fact-check: Musk didn’t found Tesla either. The historically-revisionist “co-founder” designation came years later and was made retroactively for him and a few others. ]

Ironically that BorgWarner plant builds components for Ford hybrid electric vehicles. Based on the damage shown in this video, they won't be building components anytime soon.

BorgWarner has manufacturing and technical facilities in 67 locations in 19 countries and employs about 30,000 people worldwide. I doubt knocking out one facility is going to slow them down for long.

I believe BorgWarner makes components in the Model 3 as well.

Expectations were super high that the wiring would show up even in this thread. It was an obsession with the patent applications. It's a set up to be disappointed when you set expectations absurdly high.

I couldn't agree more. Expectations are an almost guaranteed setup for disappointment.

Musk does not make 'promises'. He reveals aspirations that many think are impossible. The best that can be expected is that if he reveals his aspiration, it is at least possible to accomplish it. Most of the time he succeeds, although seldom as quickly as he wants to.

Reactions: bpjod and jerry33
I just found a stunning statistic in a Popular Science article that should be of interest to anyone who promotes clean energy and transport:

China’s booming solar sector could be producing more clean energy, and getting much more bang for its buck, if only its skies were cleaner.
In a recent PLOS One study, researchers at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Zurich put numbers to that: If China pushed an aggressive set of policies aimed at curbing air pollution from its fossil fuel-powered sectors down to nearly zero, by 2040 its fleet of photovoltaic solar panels could produce nearly 160 terawatts per year of extra energy. That's an additional $7 to 10 billion dollars annually—in case the public health benefits aren't enough incentive.
Air pollution is choking solar energy around the world

So, the products of the big oil companies are drastically impacting the production of solar energy by filtering the sunlight before it reaches the panels. Which requires the burning of even more fossil fuels to compensate! Not included in this study were the impacts of warmer temperatures on solar production (the same amount of light produces less electricity for every degree rise in temperature of the panels).

Only considering the amount of light filtered by petroleum smog, the economic impact on solar production is $7-$10 billion dollars every year, just in China. Worldwide it must be at least double that! Why do the producers of products that pollute not have to compensate those who bear the financial impacts? I think a pollution tax on fossil fuels (in addition to the proposed carbon tax) is in order to encourage the transition to sustainable energies.

Which got me wondering if anyone has noticed their panels producing record amounts of peak production? I would think in polluted municipalities, the higher production caused by a cleaner atmosphere would be noticeable with so many fewer ICE cars on the roads.

Pee-Lon Musk?

I just found a stunning statistic in a Popular Science article that should be of interest to anyone who promotes clean energy and transport:

Air pollution is choking solar energy around the world

So, the products of the big oil companies are drastically impacting the production of solar energy by filtering the sunlight before it reaches the panels. Which requires the burning of even more fossil fuels to compensate! Not included in this study were the impacts of warmer temperatures on solar production (the same amount of light produces less electricity for every degree rise in temperature of the panels).

Only considering the amount of light filtered by petroleum smog, the economic impact on solar production is $7-$10 billion dollars every year, just in China. Worldwide it must be at least double that! Why do the producers of products that pollute not have to compensate those who bear the financial impacts? I think a pollution tax on fossil fuels (in addition to the proposed carbon tax) is in order to encourage the transition to sustainable energies.

Which got me wondering if anyone has noticed their panels producing record amounts of peak production? I would think in polluted municipalities, the higher production caused by a cleaner atmosphere would be noticeable with so many fewer ICE cars on the roads.

Unfortunately, the other side of the coin is that cleaner air leads to fewer deaths (and overpopulation), lower demand for EVs by greens, and increased global warming according to some studies, as mentioned here:

Cleaning Up Air Pollution May Strengthen Global Warming

So it seems the best way forward is more pollution and more viruses.

Last edited:
Just got an email from Tesla letting me know I'm getting refunded 20% of two months of my car insurance. That doesn't sound like something a company with bad Q1 or Q2 forcast would do

As I understand it, all of the big insurance companies are giving refunds of 15-25% for a couple of months.

Correct. Tesla Insurance is underwritten by the company (State National Insurance) giving the refunds. USAA is refunding 20% of those same two to my family as well.

Just tell him to not look at TSLA after Q1 earnings.
And after April China registrations.
And Company Day.
And Battery Day.
And Powertrain Day / Plaid unveiling.
And Autopilot city navigation unveiling.
And FSD Hardware 4 unveiling.
And GF3 Phase 2 completion.
And GF4 groundbreaking.
And GF5 announcement.
And Tesla Semi launch.
And Cybertruck launch.
And Roadster 2 launch.
And especially after Tesla Network launch.

I had to fully exit my position in TSLA recently for personal reasons. Got out at about $724 for most of my shares. I didn't try to time it and history will tell whether or not that was lucky. I plan to buy back in soon in a non-taxable account.

I'm pretty fortunate compared to most of the world during these hard times, but I'm about to put what would be retirement monies into TSLA. Never thought I would do something like that - currently, 100% of my retirement assets are in index funds. Your list is one of the reasons I'm doing so.

I believe all businesses and business practices/norms during life under coronavirus will be strengthened and will be lasting. Neurons that fire together wire together, and such. I predict that Tesla will:

• Benefit from online ordering (social distancing and all)
  • Push harder on software (social distancing and all)
  • Push harder on automated factories (no reason to shutdown a factory that doesn't have humans in it during a pandemic / social distancing and all)
Could go on but I'm sure you all can imagine the natural path for any intelligent automaker to follow. But there's really only one intelligent automaker out there, so invest accordingly.