Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is only one data point but my in-laws have a Volvo Dealership here in Washington State and new car sales have been booming for the last 10 days. A lot of pent-up demand. I'm guessing if they can sell Volvo's like hotcakes with social distancing in place, Tesla will have an even easier time of it.

Hopefully it's the case and even more optimistically maybe some of they had an epiphany during the lockdown a a result of cleaner air and less noise, turning them to EV's.

We're only just emerging from lockdown in Europe, people are still very tentative about things in general.

Reactions: Drumheller
This is only one data point but my in-laws have a Volvo Dealership here in Washington State and new car sales have been booming for the last 10 days. A lot of pent-up demand. I'm guessing if they can sell Volvo's like hotcakes with social distancing in place, Tesla will have an even easier time of it.

Washington state in general I think is likely to boom given that a ton of Tech is going full time or permanently remote and washington has no income tax. Still a good data point but I think that it could be a sign of many things.

If my CEO said we were permanently full time remote I'd likely move to Seattle tomorrow, and many people in that situation didn't own a car before.

I take umbrage at you implying I'm a liar. If you're implying I'm trolling by such a statement then you clearly haven't paid any attention to my posts over the last 4 years.

I hardly think the current environment is ideal for car purchasing, do you? I'm certain the demand is there, but not convinced people have the appetite right now.

This is possible, but the logistics of delivery aren't really there right now and people who have ordered might want to defer delivery a bit.

Obviously I hope this isn't the case, I want that 0.01c profit to get the S&P inclusion.

I really don't want to get into demand worries because I fundamentally believe even in a recession, Tesla has enough demand for 420k vehicles worldwide between Q2, 3, and 4. If the Model Y hadn't just come out, I'd be somewhat concerned

Tesla does have the logistics to deliver. And again, Tesla knows its order rates and its backlog of orders. It would be incredibly irresponsible to push so hard to reopen only to pump out thousands of cars a week that they didn't have orders for.

Washington state in general I think is likely to boom given that a ton of Tech is going full time or permanently remote and washington has no income tax. Still a good data point but I think that it could be a sign of many things.

If my CEO said we were permanently full time remote I'd likely move to Seattle tomorrow, and many people in that situation didn't own a car before.

Tesla could see a pretty heavy surge in orders here in Seattle due to the migration that's going to happen from tech workers moving out of downtown and into the suburbs. Large customer pool that didn't have a car before because they lived downtown and they're the exact target tesla demographic

Tesla could see a pretty heavy surge in orders here in Seattle due to the migration that's going to happen from tech workers moving out of downtown and into the suburbs. Large customer pool that didn't have a car before because they lived downtown and they're the exact target tesla demographic

Id be more excited about this if Tesla was demand constrained rather than supply constrained.

• Disagree
Reactions: Eugene Ash
While I agree with most of your comment, the real value of FSD is what it can earn each day in fares.

Tesla has a low fleet cost and can certainly live with $1 per mile...

Say a competitor offers 50 cents per mile, Tesla can live with that....

As the technology matures competition drives the price down, input costs then matter:-
  • Fleet costs
  • Operation costs (software, billing etc)
  • Electricity costs
  • insurance
  • Tires
  • Cleaning.(IMO cars are cleaned very well at least once per day)

Tires and Cleaning are the only areas Tesla doesn't have covered.

Tires is next on my wish list, Tesla may be able to improve them...

They may eventually have a cleaning solution... or will remake the car interiors...

The quick way is having removable interior covers that can be washed... there is a problem with air bags .....

Or Tesla needs to develop some sort of really good robotic cleaning system...

IMO car cleaning is big for Robo-taxis, not a luxury or nice to have, it is essential.
Disinfecting may also be on the radar for robotaxis after this virus crisis. Maybe Tesla can figure out something automatic that works between rides. Ultraviolet light and aerosol disinfectants come to mind, though each solution has pluses and minuses.

While I see your point, the underlying assumption (that tech workers can work from home) supports the idea that Tesla will have no trouble selling their cars. Because tech workers are remaining employed (for the most part) and they ae a natural fit with Tesla's. And highly paid tech workers exist in all of Tesla's major markets (N. America, Europe and China).

Last edited:
Disinfecting may also be on the radar for robotaxis after this virus crisis. Maybe Tesla can figure out something automatic that works between rides. Ultraviolet light and aerosol disinfectants come to mind, though each solution has pluses and minuses.

The cheapest and easiest solution for the safety of robo-taxi passengers would just be to have a bottle of bleach solution in each of the cupholders for customers to take a swig from to protect them. :confused: As an added bonus, all customers could use the same bottle without any sterilizing between rides since bleach is a natural disinfectant! o_O

Advantages:

1) Widely available.
2) Cheap.
3) Has the Presidential Seal of Approval. ;)

The cheapest and easiest solution for the safety of robo-taxi passengers would just be to have a bottle of bleach solution in each of the cupholders for customers to take a swig from to protect them. :confused: As an added bonus, all customers could use the same bottle without any sterilizing between rides since bleach is a natural disinfectant! o_O

Advantages:

1) Widely available.
2) Cheap.
3) Has the Presidential Seal of Approval. ;)
Now I know why it was so hard to find a bleach for the pool recently!

Another anecdote along the same lines- I am an avid watcher (rare contributor) of the /r/TeslaMotors subreddit and over the last week or so, the amount of “Thinking about buying... / help me decide / is this a good deal? / should I buy now if I have the money?” posts have dramatically increased even above what I remembered before the COVID-19 crisis. Here’s hoping they convert to sales and deliveries.

The demise of ICE vehicles is a double edged sword. As used vehicle prices plummet, and dealer incentives increase, this will take sales away from Tesla. I do think we are in a recession. I do think in the fall, things will worsen. Yes there will be demand for model Y, yet not as much demand as there would of been. It will be hard for people who absolutely need a new vehicle to drop big money on a Tesla where there will be lots of luxury vehicles to be had for really good deals, and filling up the gas tank is cheap.

Here's a very small data point - in the Seattle area, I work for a small residential remodeler. We have multiple projects on the books that have been developing over the last 6-12 months $300,000 to $1.5 million. Not one has been pulled. Some are just waiting to move out due to SIP, then we start. People who could afford Teslas before Covid, still can.

Regarding TSLA share price inaction...
problem gif.gif

I've been having this vision of the Uber and taxi drivers being reduced to cleaning the Robotaxis as the only jobs available.