Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If there was concern around Y demand Tesla would have dropped the price when they did it for the other models a couple of weeks ago.

Received inquiries (text/email/phone calls) today about me taking delivery of a Model Y this June or July. I called back and spoke to someone that confirmed to me that if I don’t take delivery for this upcoming batch, to expect to wait until at least September or even December.

However, I actually have a RWD reservation and that is still not yet available. Tempted to move up to an Dual Motor but I just don’t need it driving in Southern California! Also, please note that I received similar calls gauging my interest in purchasing inventory Model S and X back in February...and that quarter turned out pretty decent! So i wouldn’t be too concerned about “demand”. Seems to me they are trying to get production and deliveries coordinated in batches if September will be the next soonest date to try to take delivery for So Cal.

@Causalien May I ask not what your stock pick is but what is the cause for concern? The state of oil? The quick rebound of the markets? Damage done to small business? Sports gamblers in the stock market? Fed's printing infinite money? Riots? The state of Automakers? Murder hornets and radioactive forest fires (yeah 2020 sucks lol) all the above, none of the above????? :confused:

It's a lot of thing. But à la style du film "Big short":

Imagine a scene where Steve Carell sits down in a booth to interview a stripper who bought NKLA options on Robinhood with their COVID check.

Then he make this face after finding out the details:
2CA6299700000578-3245066-image-m-68_1442943695620.jpg

I think Fred does this to deflect criticism of being a Tesla homer.

Remember when TSLA was posted on the home page of Electrek and the only criticism Fred received was being biased in favor of Tesla? I believe he deliberately attempted to remake his image. In the process, he alienated many Tesla bulls who turned on him.

My main problem now with Fred's opinions is they are often so obviously wrong he impales himself. Sometimes he knows just enough to display ignorance. IMO, he should keep to the facts (or educate himself enough to offer more informed opinions) and only deviate when given inside scoops from Tesla insiders.

For a period of time, Electrek was a good "one stop" for all Tesla news. Those days are long gone.

From 2015 to 2018, the days I did not read every single Electrek article were few and far between.

For the past 1-2 years, I haven't visited Electrek much because there are some bad articles, but I've been happy to use Electrek as a source for blog posts, because there were still a lot of good articles too.

But from this point onward, I think I'm really going to avoid Electrek completely. The two articles from this week, where Fred drew a conclusion out of thin air that was not in the Tesla email, and now this nonsensical headline, have made me lose the last bit of respect I had for Fred and Electrek. I'll be avoiding Electrek as much as I possibly can going forward.

I just don't feel like I can trust anything written by Fred anymore.

After-action Report: Tue, Jun 09, 2020: (Full-Day's Trading)

Traded: $10,740,414,670.50 ($10.74 B)
Volume: 11,398,221
VWAP: $942.29

Closing SP / VWAP: 99.83%
(TSLA closed BELOW today's Avg SP)
TSLA Mkt Cap: $174.471B (97.57% of TM)​

FINRA Short/Total Volume = 58.0% (56rd Percentile rank Shorting)
FINRA Volume / Total NASDAQ Vol = 53.0% (54th Percentile rank FINRA Reporting)
FINRA Short Exempt Volume was 0.93% of Short Volume (48th Percentile rank).

Comment: "FUD returns"

TSLA - SUMMARY TABLE - 2020-06-09.png

Last edited:
From 2015 to 2018, the days I did not read every single Electrek article were few and far between.

For the past 1-2 years, I haven't visited Electrek much because there are some bad articles, but I've been happy to use Electrek as a source for blog posts, because there were still a lot of good articles too.

But from this point onward, I think I'm really going to avoid Electrek completely. The two articles from this week, where Fred drew a conclusion out of thin air that was not in the Tesla email, and now this nonsensical headline, have made me lose the last bit of respect I had for Fred and Electrek. I'll be avoiding Electrek as much as I possibly can going forward.

You are WAY more patient than I. Many, myself included, abandoned Fred long ago.

GM’s Barra sees U.S. transition to electric vehicles taking decades

General Motors' top executive expects it will take decades for electric vehicles to take over as the dominant form of transportation but sees driverless cars on the road within five years.

CEO Mary Barra said American drivers will go electric, but it will take a long time for most of the 250 million vehicles on U.S. roads to be battery powered.

“We believe the transition will happen over time,” Barra said on “Leadership Live With David Rubenstein” on Bloomberg Television. When asked if all cars will be electric in 20 years, she said that may be too soon. “It will happen in a little bit longer period, but it will happen.”

That outlook underscores the tricky task Barra will have budgeting billions for new models and deciding which of them will run on battery power. Following inroads made by Tesla Inc., GM is one of the most aggressive automakers when it comes to electrifying its lineup. It currently sells just one EV in the U.S. but is developing more than 20 plug-in models, including a Cadillac crossover and a Hummer pickup that will both debut by the fall of 2021.

Welcome to the club! Time to learn Pig Latin.

General Motors' top executive expects it will take decades for electric vehicles to take over as the dominant form of transportation but sees driverless cars on the road within five years.

CEO Mary Barra said American drivers will go electric, but it will take a long time for most of the 250 million vehicles on U.S. roads to be battery powered.

“We believe the transition will happen over time,” Barra said on “Leadership Live With David Rubenstein” on Bloomberg Television. When asked if all cars will be electric in 20 years, she said that may be too soon. “It will happen in a little bit longer period, but it will happen.”

That outlook underscores the tricky task Barra will have budgeting billions for new models and deciding which of them will run on battery power. Following inroads made by Tesla Inc., GM is one of the most aggressive automakers when it comes to electrifying its lineup. It currently sells just one EV in the U.S. but is developing more than 20 plug-in models, including a Cadillac crossover and a Hummer pickup that will both debut by the fall of 2021.
I appreciate Mary Barra's candor in going on the record. Instead of hedging, blowing smoke and trying to play it both ways, she admits to utter cluelessness. This will make it easier for GM to dump her when the time comes.

Does she have any idea how long 20 years is? Wonder how quickly she will walk this back.

Weak demand is a reasonable conclusion. It may not be the correct one, but it is reasonable based on what we know. Again, it may simply be weak demand for the specific Model Y version

Ahem @Krugerrand ...he said it twice in one sentence....I could not resist...and you must buy.

I appreciate Mary Barra's candor in going on the record. Instead of hedging, blowing smoke and trying to play it both ways, she admits to utter cluelessness. This will make it easier for GM to dump her when the time comes.

Does she have any idea how long 20 years is? Wonder how quickly she will walk this back.

Well, she's 58 years old now. She will be 78 if she's still alive! :) She can sit in her rocking chair watching all the EV's drive by and say, "Does anyone remember gas cars? See, I was right, I predicted they would all be electric by now! I was an early adopter. I made the switch in 2027, two years after GM fired me. ;)

People Tend To Overestimate What Can Be Done In One Year And To Underestimate What Can Be Done In Five Or Ten Years – Quote Investigator

"We tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run."

"We always overestimate the change that will occur in the short term and underestimate the change that will occur in the long term."

"People overestimate what can be done in one year, and underestimate what can be done in ten."

This notion has been attributed to software mogul Bill Gates, science fiction author Arthur C. Clarke, visionary computer scientist J. C. R. Licklider, futurist Roy Amara and others.​

Well, she's 58 years old now. She will be 78 if she's still alive! :) She can sit in her rocking chair watching all the EV's drive by and say, "Does anyone remember gas cars? See, I was right, I predicted they would all be electric by now! I was an early adopter. I made the switch in 2027, two years after GM fired me. ;)
I suppose one should consider Barra has worked solely for GM since age 18 (40 years) and is conditioned to the glacial pace of ICE "innovation". She can't quite conceive that technological advances in the auto industry over the next 5 years will probably surpass that of her entire work history.

It's being kind to call Mary Barra a dinosaur but she gets props for not pretending to be anything else.

I give her 2 more years, max, at GM.

Tesla, which has more capacity than anyone AFAIK, hopes to make 500k EVs this year. Out of 80 million new cars.

We need to see what comes out of Battery Investor Day... I think around 50% of it will be targeting energy storage batteries, but Tesla intends to eventually make up to 20 million cars per year...

I don't see the competition being a problem for Tesla, but I do see them making more BEVs.. IMO the transition will kick off in earnest sometime between now and 2023....

After Battery Investor Day all industry players will probably scale up their level of ambition, bring forward their timelines, and throw a large pile of money at ramping up battery pack production... the only other alternative is leave the auto industry to Tesla and the Chinese.

I was dating this woman back in 1990 — we are sitting in a bar — and she uses both hands to raise her cell phone to her her ear; I remember thinking, that bullshit will never catch on.

7471450F-F5F4-4454-8F22-522F236D569D.jpeg

The evolution of technology is accelerating at an ever quickening pace. The feedback loop of technology, will drive the diffusion of innovation into ever shorter adoption periods. Mary is wrong.

1990 seems a lifetime ago; I suppose it was.