Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why is a ship with Teslas to Europe leaving from NY? And how did the cars get to NY from Freemont in the first place? Train? Did you mean 12 days to Zeebrugge from NY?

As a thought experiment, for customers in US Eastern seaboard, is it quicker and cheaper to ship them via RoRo ships via panama canal, or are you better off shipping them via road or train? If is it the latter, then don't you think that is the best way to ship to Europe too? Ship to Boston via train and then load it in ship to from Boston to Zeeburgge?
It’s crazy. My 3 is stuck in Chicago, has been for weeks. How hard is it to get a truck to deliver my car to Dedham MA. Still waiting.

• Informative
Reactions: AZRI11
View attachment 551463 https://twitter.com/oha_alex/status/1272201242370994177?s=21

Not a huge deal but as each country adds incentives this will only benefit Tesla.
Living in this country, and knowing this government, I don't have high hopes.
Any incentives will have to tick two boxes:
1. Support Spanish manufacturing. Spain doesn't currently make any fully electric cars. They are experts in diesel engines and the government has been talking about nationalizing an old Nissan factory in Barcelona that Nissan has recently closed down because the tooling was outdated and the unions always threatening strike action. Last year, the Minister of Industry stated proudly "Diesel still plays a big part of the future"
2. Not favour "rich" people i.e. anyone who buys an expensive car
Probably there will be a EUR35,000 limit to the car, or the incentive will only for people who earn less than EUR40,000 per year i.e. Teslas will be excluded (Cheapest Tesla here is EUR49,000)
I hope I am wrong! Fingers crossed

"Naked calls" typically means selling calls without holding the shares (meaning you're obligated to buy the shares and hand them over if the option is exercised), as opposed to "covered calls" covering the obligation with already owning the shares.

Sounds like you're buying calls, which gives you no obligation to be either covered or naked in relation to.
Buying calls seems like it's too boring to have it's own special terminology...and I'm okay with that.

Why is a ship with Teslas to Europe leaving from NY? And how did the cars get to NY from Freemont in the first place? Train? Did you mean 12 days to Zeebrugge from NY?

As a thought experiment, for customers in US Eastern seaboard, is it quicker and cheaper to ship them via RoRo ships via panama canal, or are you better off shipping them via road or train? If is it the latter, then don't you think that is the best way to ship to Europe too? Ship to Boston via train and then load it in ship to from Boston to Zeeburgge?

I'm not an expert, but I think shippers have to consider cost, speed, and any operational problems along the way. For example, until fairly recently the Panama Canal was experiencing problems due to low water levels, causing delays. Spring rains seem to have resolved that particular problem, but it's an example of why there's no single answer that's always right.

But why? I much prefer to charge at home. And I can walk to my nearest supercharger in less than 5 minutes. And I have free supercharging.

If we go for far out requests then I'd prefer a Service Centre close by with valet car cleaning services. :p:p:p
You are one of the lucky ones already :) It'd be nice to just SC for maybe 10 minutes to get that extra charge if you are in a pinch. I charge at home 99% of the time as well, but we are all about the instant gratification right? Good luck to all this week!!

Elon Musk on Twitter: "Fates loves irony… " twitter.com › elonmusk › status | Aug 01, 2019
When I think about it, maybe less irony and more virtuous cycle - except it’s not so virtuous if you’re FCA.

01 Massive EU penalties on diesel and petrol cars

02 FCA has few if any EV offerings

03 Any EVs they DO develop will face competition from Tesla

04 Because too few FCA EVs sold, partner with Tesla to cut down on ruinous penalties

05 Tesla uses FCA payments to accelerate construction of Giga Berlin and cheaper, European-made EVs.

06 Because of 05, FCA faces greater competition from Tesla

07 GO TO 04

When I think about it, maybe less irony and more virtuous cycle - except it’s not so virtuous if you’re FCA.

01 Massive EU penalties on diesel and petrol cars

02 FCA has few if any EV offerings

03 Any EVs they DO develop will face competition from Tesla

04 Because too few FCA EVs sold, partner with Tesla to cut down on ruinous penalties

05 Tesla uses FCA payments to accelerate construction of Giga Berlin and cheaper, European-made EVs.

06 Because of 05, FCA faces greater competition from Tesla

07 GO TO 04

Delivering to customer on east coast - truck/train is fastest and cheapest - costs $X.
Delivering to customer in Europe by ship from west coast is cheapest method - costs $Y
Delivering to customer in Europe by truck/train to east coast, and then shipped to Europe is faster, but costs $X + $Y, (so is more expensive than simply shipping from west coast).

(note for the pedantics, yes I’m aware that trucking/training to an east coast port in bulk is cheaper than a delivery to an east coast customer, and that shipping from an east coast port to Europe is usually cheaper than shipping from a west coast port - but overall the cost is still greater doing the combo method rather than simply shipping from LA).

I think Tesla does both. In general, they ship cars to Europe via the Panama Canal. But at the end of quarters, they also send some across the US via train to ship to Europe from the East Coast. I believe that is faster but more expensive.

I think Tesla does both. In general, they ship cars to Europe via the Panama Canal. But at the end of quarters, they also send some across the US via train to ship to Europe from the East Coast. I believe that is faster but more expensive.
I bet the lack of rail demand due to Covid made shipping cross country more economical.

I wonder if there are fewer options to get car carrier ships to leave from Houston? Maybe the cost vs speed doesn't add enough advantage. It might just split the difference between the panama option and NY. And I suppose once they're on a train, you might as well just take them as far as you can given the added speed.