Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a TX person who bought the P3 in TX in Sep 18 - it really was not a big deal. And still way more preferable to going to a traditional dealership. The only thing i have heard may be different is you have to pay the tax yourself - which is a little odd but likely not a big deal

getting rid of it is fine too - just saying i think it's pretty minor at this point

I am kinda thinking it will be part of the terms Elon demanded in order to build in Texas.

Elon, to Texas Governor: "You want 25,000 new jobs in this state? You have to let me sell a Texas-built product in Texas.
Texas Governor: Yes sir, consider it done.

(I don't know if this requires approval from Texas legislature or if the Governor can make the change himself).
I expect it will require the legislature, but if the Governor wants it, he will get it.

As a TX person who bought the P3 in TX in Sep 18 - it really was not a big deal. And still way more preferable to going to a traditional dealership. The only thing i have heard may be different is you have to pay the tax yourself - which is a little odd but likely not a big deal

getting rid of it is fine too - just saying i think it's pretty minor at this point

The message it would send would be ENORMOUS!

Note that the same things were said about the early S, but my early 2013 S was just fine, and so were all the club members' S. The issue here is that any issues are blown up to looks way worse then they are. Are there some problem cars? Sure. But I'd suggest not that many.

Exactly! And I'll suggest that a "problem car" when it comes to a Tesla is almost never the kind of "problem car" you might get with an ICE vehicle. Tesla's are much more likely to suffer from a minor misalignment of a door or other body part, not have an engine that is not reliable or get's bad fuel economy or a shaft that vibrates (at least not on recent Tesla's) or other problems that are mechanical in nature.

Aren't they limited to a certain number of locations as well?

Electric Future - yesterday:

Youtube "Electric Future" is essentially making free infomercials for Tesla. And this one is the most compelling I've seen. Well, they are probably doing it for themselves, not Tesla, so as shareholders it probably wouldn't hurt to give them a "like" and subscribe to their channel.

I mean, why let all the most outrageous and controversial programming get all the attention and views?:)

Probably just delayed.

I figure next week is when this will start pricing in. Today and tomorrow has some stiff headwinds. To-wit; triple witching has multiple hundred of millions of dollars on the table for sub $5 movements in the share price. When Friday is finished, then we'll be able to return to our regularly scheduled programming (OMG - there's a lot of good news out there!!!)

Huh. I thought news of the land purchase in Austin would have bumped the stock price, but no...
This is a good natural experiment for how slow to react institutional investors are...

It's been over an hour since this news dropped and there has been absolutely no reaction from the SP. Surely buying $5 million in land for $65 million in incentives is market-moving news. But crickets...
Probably just delayed.

Institutions may want to wait until Monday, rather than create problems for their friends who are hedge fund managers or market makers gaming "Triple Witching Day".

Tomorrow will be a “Triple Witching Day”, the major quarterly expiration of individual stock options and stock index options & futures.

The $1000 strikes for TSLA calls and puts are easily the most popular. If trading volume remains light, big options writers (mainly hedge funds and market makers) may try to keep the share price channeled near $1000 into the Friday close.

EDIT: I salute @adiggs for beating me to the punch while I was composing this.

and also...so "the market is acting slowly"?
Now also there is the triple witching lockdown....
What is going to rule?
Could the announcement leak out at the exact wrong time for the MMers? This might cause them to lose control...I guess we need to watch the number of shares traded from here till close tomorrow, and how the price moves.

Not that I think Tesla has reached Toyota levels of build quality, but nobody reports on Ford buyers refusing delivery. Food for thought.
Because it's so usual that it's not news? Or perhaps the dealer just switches to another car, so the bad one is still on the lot? Dealers can hide a lot of manufacturing sins (This is not a reason to use dealers). If anything the Tesla system of refusal means that the factory gets real feedback.

Reactions: Nocturnal
Exactly! And I'll suggest that a "problem car" when it comes to a Tesla is almost never the kind of "problem car" you might get with an ICE vehicle. Tesla's are much more likely to suffer from a minor misalignment of a door or other body part, not have an engine that is not reliable or get's bad fuel economy or a shaft that vibrates (at least not on recent Tesla's) or other problems that are mechanical in nature.

Except the suspension on our 2015 which requires repair work on an annual basis. We lost the Tesla quality lottery on that car, unfortunately. My anecdotal experience is if you get a bad one, it can be really bad. Maybe they are rare, but it sucks when it happens. Just recently the car sat dead in our garage for a week when the 12V failed without warning during a software update rendering the car undriveable. Good times.

Although to your point: having to wait a week to replace a 12V battery is certainly an issue unique to a Tesla vs an ICE. Cant just run to Autozone for that.

Last edited: