Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think $420 might be too high for a stock split if the goal is to keep the individual share price accessible to retail investors.

How about $69?

TSLA is the only ticker symbol and company where I can literally say something like this completely seriously. That's how memetic the company and it's founder have become.

I would love the chance to buy TSLA at $17 again.

The wisdom of many with significant experience on this thread promotes the idea of being long and HODL. My natural inclination is to try and out-think the market and the MMs and sell at the high and buy more shares at the low. I have tried this approach and the results have been inconsistent. Instead of accumulating more shares through the arbitrage, I either lost shares or stayed even in the long run. At the same time I realized taxable gains in one of my accounts that is non-qualified. Once I realized my true long term goal was accumulated wealth, not incremental realized gains, I finally gave in to the idea of long and HODL. More shares are added through dry powder or funding through selling something of value with less potential future growth. Winning the arbitrage game for accumulation of shares is possible, but there are so many variables and forces beyond our control - it can drive you crazy at best and, in my experience, does not work so well. Maybe ok in low end day trading, but that’s a different story with a different goal. Thanks to all the knowledgeable and helpful people with tremendous experience on this thread who are willing to share.

+1. I think it was Buffett that said Time in market is better than timing the market. So true and much less stressful.

My contribution to Q2 just arrived :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    665 KB · Views: 67
Hmmm looks like there is potential (albeit quite a small chance for now) for a stock split:

View attachment 558908

I'm saving about $100 each month from my wages. So with the current price I need to save for 10 months to be able to buy one more share. Problem is - can I buy TSLA for $1000 in 10 months? Don't think so. I know Robinhood offer partial shares but I don't live in the US so not an option.

So lately I've been buying NIO :rolleyes:

But if we get a stock split :D

I have mixed thoughts on this. For the most part it doesn't matter too much as more and more brokers offer fractional shares. But the high price makes options more expensive since I'm not aware of anyone offering fractional options. That is both good and bad, it helps keep some of the smaller manipulators out, but it means that all options trades cost more. (So "lottery" calls get expensive too.)

Of course having 15x more shares for the same investment would sort of make me feel like I own more of Tesla even though it is no different.

i don’t want a split

it’s not en vogue. unnecessary w/ frac trading. keeps riffraff short out

when is last time a hot momo stock split?
amzn hasn’t split...why should tesla.

split is so tim cook, not elon musk

split isn’t cool or hip, it’s old school stuffy bankers collar

someone convince me otherwise, and not cheaper shares or options, we know its all relative

robinhood not offering frac trading is not excuse. either wait til they do, or find a real broker

is this about benefitting tesla, or yourselves?

Last edited:
I'm saving about $100 each month from my wages. So with the current price I need to save for 10 months to be able to buy one more share. Problem is - can I buy TSLA for $1000 in 10 months? Don't think so. I know Robinhood offer partial shares but I don't live in the US so not an option.

I have no spare cash for shares, which is why I sell covered calls to buy more. As long as you pick "safe" strikes and the moment to do it, it's OK.

i don’t want a split

someone convince me otherwise, and not cheaper shares or options, we know its all relative

robinhood not offering frac trading is not excuse. either wait til they do, or find a real broker

I think a split makes perfect sense. I have a monthly savings for my pension that used to allow me to buy a share each month... Guess how easy that is now...

So a spilt would cause more people to actually be able to invest.

Fractional shares shouldn't be limited to just the US - I am in the UK and able to buy fractional shares of Tesla. You may want to research and see if there are any brokers in your country that offers this?

i don’t want a split

It's an easy win for the stock price. Stock splits tend to lead to an increase in price shortly thereafter.

The other big win is for people who can only save a little per month like @Christine600 mentioned a couple of posts back who want to buy in. Given the environmental cause for Tesla, regular buying by 10s or 100s of thousands of additional people leads to greater public support. This is helpful in pushing Tesla's narrative. It builds the tesla army who will vote for politicians that align with their interests and write to the local government in times where Tesla could be supported. It's like creating a superPAC for the low cost of a little extra admin on the share registry.

I think a split makes perfect sense. I have a monthly savings for my pension that used to allow me to buy a share each month... Guess how easy that is now...

So a spilt would cause more people to actually be able to invest.

so you cannot choose to use another account in order to gain fractional shares of tesla. this is legitimate concern.

others may move account to broker who offers this

seems with pension they may not. so this is a valid argument and one i would consider. thanks for sharing!

• Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger
It's an easy win for the stock price. Stock splits tend to lead to an increase in price shortly thereafter.

The other big win is for people who can only save a little per month like @Christine600 mentioned a couple of posts back who want to buy in. Given the environmental cause for Tesla, regular buying by 10s or 100s of thousands of additional people leads to greater public support. This is helpful in pushing Tesla's narrative. It builds the tesla army who will vote for politicians that align with their interests and write to the local government in times where Tesla could be supported. It's like creating a superPAC for the low cost of a little extra admin on the share registry.
Exactly!

Remember when my monthly savings could be converted to at least one share:p

for chrsk it’s an issue

for christine it looks like she has a choice of different brokers, so she definitely has options

i would change my tune in order to get people like chrsk the ability to invest in it for sure

but i dont put a lot of weight in the argument that post-split, shares tend to rise..tesla just rose 800 the last year

Reactions: capster
There's definite risks involved with selling covered calls. Can't go wrong with HODL'ing TSLA.

Correct, but I gained 13 free shares over the last 6 weeks as a result of covered calls. So if you play it carefully then you can get free stuff.

Right now though, I would not recommend selling calls, too risky (except for my play shares). Wait until the SP finds a new channel after the P&D.

I know about these options in theory. But then I need to think before I buy. Problem is - I'm LAZY HODL.

Totally agree, I'm a bit HODL fan, but never look a gift-horse and all that.

The trick for me to destress was to stop selling calls again ALL my shares and to do just a couple at any point in time. Means that if there is a sudden upward movement, I'm only partially exposed.

And, as a counter to that, because I've earned 13 free shares recently, if I needed to re-but a call for a loss, I could sell some of these to finance it without feeling too bad about things.

Not advice, just sharing my experience.

Last edited: