Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A stock split would create a tsunami of retail buyers, complicating the ability of Market Makers and ETFs to manipulate the share price. There you go, I’ve talked myself into it.
This would create an Osborne effect on TSLA stock.

People would hold off buying TSLA because they heard it would split and become 20 times cheaper.

(Kidding but not completely kidding, I believe there are people with that level of understanding of stock investing their savings. They only invest in brands they love, and they actually tend to do really well long term, since they won’t bother to check ticker, and might not even know how to sell.)

where is the popcorn :p
Not only that, but...
Screenshot_20200701-202736_Twitter.png

A stock split would create a tsunami of retail buyers, complicating the ability of Market Makers and ETFs to manipulate the share price. There you go, I’ve talked myself into it.

In today's world of Robinhood, fractional share buying, and zero commissions, most of the reasons for splitting a stock have gone the way of corded power drills:

RobinTrack-TSLA.jpg

Notice:
1) Recent price rise with accompany # of users holding TSLA
2) More Robinhood users buying starting April Fool's through Halloween, 2019. Then some profit taking, but caught up now.

This ^. Manufacturing the 7 seater MY will unlock hundreds of thousands of new orders not already in the pipeline, mine included. The MX is too rich for me and also not a fan of the falcon wing doors.
Yup. My car before the 3 was a 7 seat highlander. We didn't even look at 5 seat models because we wanted the flexibility to take kids friends or squeeze in a couple extra adults.

In today's world of Robinhood, fractional share buying, and zero commissions, most of the reasons for splitting a stock have gone the way of corded power drills:

Aptly, I love my corded power drill. It works so much better than any battery one I’ve ever had or used, and it never needs charging.

Just like fractional Vs whole shares: you can’t sell fractional to those who don’t buy fractional, you may or may not get any voting rights, and any gain you get is divided. Further, the mentality of having fractions of a whole and not a whole.

Leaving that aside, I think retail investors are not aware of fractional shares. When a newb thinks of stock trading, they probably think a piece of paper per share is traded like Pokémon cards. They wouldn’t think of someone cutting a card up into smaller bits would be a real thing.

View attachment 559245

Notice:
1) Recent price rise with accompany # of users holding TSLA
2) More Robinhood users buying starting April Fool's through Halloween, 2019. Then some profit taking, but caught up now.
We still have a lot of ignorant, for a lack of better words, people (I have some in my family too) who gets turned off by the sticker price, period. These people can buy whole shares but just decide not to. The people who buys fractional shares know better and is a different problem.