Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Brokers in Europe don't offer fractional shares. I know several investors with less capital to hand that would love to invest in $TSLA but are put off by the SP.

So yes, would be beneficial IMO.

Actually, what are the arguments against it? The Apple example was very positive for the stock.

Incorrect. Trading 212 does and I own fractional share of Tesla.

As a person who still works for a living on a moderate income, I agree; buying a full share is much better than a fractional share.

I don't care if it's literally the same thing functionally (which, some brokers don't deal in fractional, so it's debatable), it's a mental hurdle. It's why prices are $9.99 and not $10, it's why people round numbers up or down, and why we tend to say, "keep the change" or put our change into the tip jar. We don't like fractions of something, we'd rather take a whole.

I'd not ever buy a fractional share, but I absolutely would buy more shares if the stock split into a reasonable price point.
Agreed. If you have $10K, you can't even buy ten shares. That's a big psychological hurdle.

I know of several people who "missed" buying into Tesla last year when it was in the low 200's. Even though I was constantly telling them, "Buy TSLA, it's such a great company!" they never did, and how they're all grumpy at missing it.

Of course, they may whine still and not buy it if the stock splits, they seem to be more complainers than doers. But maybe one would.

Can't blame them. Morale was totally destroyed even here. Long time bull Neroden sold out. Rob on his podcast talked about his losses and his disappointment at Tesla for misguiding S/X numbers by a HUGE margin. Karen's last post before going on a hiatus was "I guess the bears are right this time". Compounding that to store closures, decreasing S/X shifts and devastating Q1 2019 delivery numbers which gave people the impression that demand was non-existence without tax credit.

Go back and read the messages around that time, not many cheerleaders as people see a drop of 3-5% daily.

I remember people here was telling me how I was just trying to catch a falling knife when buying in. There were negative cheerleaders even here.

i don’t want a split

it’s not en vogue. unnecessary w/ frac trading. keeps riffraff short out

when is last time a hot momo stock split?
amzn hasn’t split...why should tesla.

split is so tim cook, not elon musk

split isn’t cool or hip, it’s old school stuffy bankers collar

someone convince me otherwise, and not cheaper shares or options, we know its all relative

robinhood not offering frac trading is not excuse. either wait til they do, or find a real broker

is this about benefitting tesla, or yourselves?

I do not think I can convince you.

But I believe the stock market is a lot about psychology. As some members here have stated, they more likely buy a stock between $40 and $100 than a four digit. Even Warren gave in after many decades of stubbornness.

Convinced? (Told you)

I'm enjoying writing a few puts for tomorrow. Lots of premium which will disappear tomorrow. Plus if the P&D report doesn't show up tomorrow morning I'll roll the puts to next week and collect the inflated (due to the pending report) premium again.

Today:
1095's (when it was at 1092 this morning)
1130's (half when it was at 1118 and half at 1109)

Yesterday:
1200's (when it was at 1078) [not much premium given so far in the money; more for capturing the upswing]

Last edited:
Can't blame them. Morale was totally destroyed even here. Long time bull Neroden sold out. Rob on his podcast talked about his losses and his disappointment at Tesla for misguiding S/X numbers by a HUGE margin. Karen's last post before going on a hiatus was "I guess the bears are right this time". Compounding that to store closures, decreasing S/X shifts and devastating Q1 2019 delivery numbers which gave people the impression that demand was non-existence without tax credit.

Go back and read the messages around that time, not many cheerleaders as people see a drop of 3-5% daily.

I remember people here was telling me how I was just trying to catch a falling knife when buying in. There were negative cheerleaders even here.

I recall that as well. I didn't join in 2018 when the stock was floating 300's, but I first bought when it was 260 some in February last year, right before everything went to Etron. So I never suffered much, I think I was down 50% at one point, but it was all paper loss at the time.

However, those guys I work with are just complainers. They didn't follow Tesla at all, and didn't even know that the model 3 had been released for a year by then. So it's hardly that they knew it was going to go down, or what the company was worth. Just me going on (and on) about how much Tesla is growing, and how well their factory in China is building, and the model 3 is getting into the groove, etc, etc, etc. Don't think they listened to me at all, as such none of them bought any! They're paying more attention now, with the SP over $1k.

Last edited:

Yes, go back and read it. You will see that I was very positive and doubled my position at $184. Before that I was adding on the way down, $240, $220....Hard to believe that was only a year and a month ago.

I was trying to look into the likelihood of Tesla releasing the P&D report after market hours today. I don't think that is likely based on history. It is however likely that Tesla will release the report tomorrow morning. Q4 2018 P&D report was released on Jan 02 2019 at 8:31 AM ET. Jan 1st was a Sunday. Most recent morning release was Q4 2019 P&D report on Jan 3rd 2020.

Here's a link to previous Tesla IR press releases

Press Release Distribution and Management

If they release it tomorrow it will likely be between 8:30 AM ET and 9:00 AM ET. Let the fireworks continue!

I do not think I can convince you.

But I believe the stock market is a lot about psychology. As some members here have stated, they more likely buy a stock between $40 and $100 than a four digit. Even Warren gave in after many decades of stubbornness.

Convinced? (Told you)
Johann, I had just written a post that was almost word for word what you just posted! Great minds (and even ours) must think alike. My post is unnecessary and has been sent to the dustbin. Thanks for saying what I have been thinking for quite some time. It will be a few months before anything might happen, but at least it will probably be a topic of discussion at the shareholders meeting.