Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Where is the volume today? Did the amp blow up? Forget to turn on the phono preamp? Tube(s) go bad?

We need a stack of kHorns powered by the 1,200 watt Mac mono amps. That will wake up the powers that be for S&P inclusion... may I suggest "Street Fighting Man"...

Just reading this made my ears ring and then deaf.................. Throw Phil Collins's "I don't care anymore" into the playlist.

• Funny
Reactions: wipster
Just know that TSLA has been around for a long time at this point and did not trade millions of shares per day. Try the link for some historical comparison:

Tesla, Inc. (TSLA) Stock Historical Prices & Data - Yahoo Finance

Think was good time to buy then.

(Below is a revised graph from my post #187827 .. this time with a more useful indication of buy/sell volume Vs SP)

SP v Volume revised.jpg

Something that I think is worth remembering is that one of Tesla's competitive advantages is in manufacturing. With respect to that their competitors generally fall into one of two camps:

Legacy OEMS
While the OEMs have plenty of experience with manufacturing they are hobbled by a need to do so within the confines of their ICE-focused production. This leads to inferior vehicles. Attempts to avoid this dead end are hampered by other legacy constraints.

New Startups
While a new startup is not afflicted with the legacy problems they have an even bigger one: volume production. Elon Musk keeps repeating that "building the machine that builds the machine" is "an order of magnitude more difficult." For a newcomer the difficulty isn't in designing an EV with desirable characteristics, but in making that design in a way that allows it to be mass produced.

Tesla has had quite a bit of difficulty in this regard, but what they did not have was a competitor mass producing compelling EVs. Any newcomer, whether that is Rivian or someone else, will have to solve the manufacturing problems for their design. Maybe Rivian will succeed (I hope so) -- but I suspect that their "early- to mid- next year" [1] estimate for bringing their vehicle [to market] is optimistic. Their struggle will be the same as other newcomers: to stay afloat while struggling with production issues.

Maybe Musk is wrong and volume manufacturing isn't that hard. But the dearth of successful automotive startups speaks volumes.

1) Rivian raises $2.5 billion in aggressive plan to beat Tesla and Nikola with the first all-electric pickup

Last edited:
I know we are bored and it's fun to make fun of the idiots at NKLA but since we all agree it's kinda pointless to discuss unless it's something new and material.

My .03 (money printer go brrrrrrr cause inflation)

I work under an LLC with S corp taxation and I've looked into this myself. I don't see any tax advantages.

@Lycanthrope is European - the kind of account he's talking about is either a European thing, or a thing from his country (Belgium?).

New Startups
While a new startup is not afflicted with the legacy problems they have an even bigger one: volume production. Elon Musk keeps repeating that "building the machine that builds the machine" is "an order of magnitude more difficult." For a newcomer the difficulty isn't in designing an EV with desirable characteristics, but in making that design in a way that allows it to be mass produced.

Good points. And in addition to the difficulties of being able to MANUFACTURE their EVs in high volumes, competitors already face the huge headwinds in that by far the highest cost of any EV is the battery pack. As your battery pack volumes increase, the cost of the cars decrease significantly because you are able to better vertically integrate and lower the cost of raw materials and everything else that goes into the pack.

Tesla makes WAY more battery packs than anyone else in the world and is on a nearly uncatchable trajectory. It will take a very, very long time for ANYONE else to catch up to that, regardless of whether they're an OEM or a startup. That's the first-mover advantage, and the reason why TSLA should be higher than it is right now. And it's the major thing that most analysts are too stupid to understand. (Sorry analysts, but it's true).

Just as in recognizing that when buying a house it's "Location, location, location", Elon's smartest move with respect to Tesla was in realizing that with EVs and storage, it's "Batteries, batteries, batteries".