Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Updated institutional holdings report is out.
This Boothbay Fund opened new position of almost 10B. Anyone know who they are? Are they hedging or front running or long term holder?

Oh btw, Renaissance increased their holdings by 44%, I thought they were going to close it out, I guess their Algorithms says not yet.

looks like Boothbay has only $11 Billion total under management, so having almost $10 Billion in Tesla alone is quite the move (it is a new position)

upload_2020-8-17_10-55-54.png

Last edited:
Investing advice from our forum experts requested. Currently sitting at 125 shares. Due to COVID and lack of shorter-term work prospects, I am hesitant to deplete my cash reserves of 6 months' expenses. What are your thoughts regarding obtaining a minimal margin loan of say, 10-20%?

I have never utilized margin before (heeding your many warnings) but the coming 6-month opportunities seem much to tempting to do nothing in advance of this likely run-up. My other option is a line of credit at the Credit Union equal to approx 5% of my current holdings.

Thanks to this fine group I managed to HODL through all the tough times since 2014. My success with TSLA (such that it is) is mostly due to the insight and wisdom gained from the forum members. My most heartfelt thanks to you all.

Investing advice from our forum experts requested. Currently sitting at 125 shares. Due to COVID and lack of shorter-term work prospects, I am hesitant to deplete my cash reserves of 6 months' expenses. What are your thoughts regarding obtaining a minimal margin loan of say, 10-20%?

I have never utilized margin before (heeding your many warnings) but the coming 6-month opportunities seem much to tempting to do nothing in advance of this likely run-up. My other option is a line of credit at the Credit Union equal to approx 5% of my current holdings.

Thanks to this fine group I managed to HODL through all the tough times since 2014. My success with TSLA (such that it is) is mostly due to the insight and wisdom gained from the forum members. My most heartfelt thanks to you all.

If I was you I would try and hold out until it least Q3 delivery numbers or Q3 earnings. If you could get a loan or use a line of credit. Really depends on your risk tolerance.

looks like Boothbay has only $11 Billion total under management, so having almost $10 Billion in Tesla alone is quite the move (it is a new position)

View attachment 577147
Sounds like someone is making a S&P gamble. I would be pretty pissed if my fund manager acts like a bunch of wsb autists. Maybe they should dump 90% of their funds into calls next time.

Basically there was one time almost ever the pundits and analysts were right: Buying SCTY was Elon bailing his cousins out. Elon is ultimately human and he cares about his family. It should be no surprise that they left SCTY shortly after the acquisition was completed, Elon probably saw the state of the company after the buyout and told them to take a hike and never talk to him again.

I remember a post from Neoden where he clearly stated the price Tesla paid for Solar City was more than justified by the value of the Solar City leases.

Yes, I am aware why Neoden left the forum, that is unfortunate, but that doesn't take away from the fact that he was a valuable poster, and his posts on Solar City were some of his best work.

After all this time I am yet to read a single criticism of the deal which even attempts to value the leases...

I'm not saying Elon and his cousins got everything right...

It is true Elon's cousins are no longer involved. but that does not necessarily mean they were bad business managers.

Solar City was under a prolonged and motivated short seller attack, it is hard to sort the truth from the FUD.

IMO a plausible explanation is that Elon and the cousins wanted to take Solar City in different directions and Elon's short term priority was the survival of Tesla and fixing the Model 3 program....

Ultimately we don't know how any alternative reality would have played out, this is the one we are in. Sometimes the journey is rough but the destination makes the trip worthwhile. What is needed is the long term vision that determines the destination is worth the trip.

This Boothbay Fund opened new position of almost 10B. Anyone know who they are? Are they hedging or front running or long term holder?

Oh btw, Renaissance increased their holdings by 44%, I thought they were going to close it out, I guess their Algorithms says not yet.
Wow, there are about 330 institutional funds that have less Tesla stock than I do. I'm such a baller.

If I was you I would try and hold out until it least Q3 delivery numbers or Q3 earnings. If you could get a loan or use a line of credit. Really depends on your risk tolerance.

Thank you Rammstein.
After the split, I could consider perhaps buying an option, not something I could attempt at this time due to premium costs and my lack of experience. At this point, I am just trying to maximize share count.

• Disagree
Reactions: Hock1 and gabeincal
@Etna, When the subject of supersonic VTOL aircraft came up in a published interview of Elon on other aerospace topics, Elon said he would reduce weight and drag by eliminating unnecessary items like wings, elevator and rudder! This made VTOL and supersonic flight possible in a rocket like aircraft with electric fan propulsion and a small mass fraction available for payload with 500 Wh/kg batteries.

The US DoE “Battery 500” research program is making good progress toward their 500 Wh/kg goal.

GSP
(emphasis mine)

While he did talk about eliminating items, I don't believe he talked about eliminating wings. Elevator and rudders can be eliminated with vectored thrust from a gimbaled motor (rocket style). But eliminating wings as a means of lift would be a different story, and I don't recall him saying that.

That's not to say it couldn't be some sort of flying wing/lifting body design aspect to it...

Reactions: kbM3 and JRP3

During the run up from last fall, I started using margin to buy when I didn’t have any dry powder. I got a little too aggressive, and when the COVID dip hit, I was getting uncomfortably close to margin calls. I never got any, but I went through a lot of effort of moving around money and sorting through tax lots to prioritize potential sales.

My personal rule is to keep my margin equity above 80% (broker’s current limit is 60%). It really did pay off during the run up - my “price paid“ is leveraged about 2:1.

Last edited:

Guess its safe to say Boothbay doesn't give a rats ass about their 'fiduciary responsibility' for investors in their fund :) :) :)

I remember a post from Neoden where he clearly stated the price Tesla paid for Solar City was more than justified by the value of the Solar City leases.

Yes, I am aware why Neoden left the forum, that is unfortunate, but that doesn't take away from the fact that he was a valuable poster, and his posts on Solar City were some of his best work.

After all this time I am yet to read a single criticism of the deal which even attempts to value the leases...

It is true Elon's cousins are no longer involved. but that does not necessarily mean they were bad business managers.

Solar City was under a prolonged and motivated short seller attack, it is hard to sort the truth from the FUD.

IMO a plausible explanation is that Elon and the cousins wanted to take Solar City in different directions and Elon's short term priority was the survival of Tesla and fixing the Model 3 program....

Ultimately we don't know how any alternative reality would have played out, this is the one we are in. Sometimes the journey is rough but the destination makes the trip worthwhile. What is needed is the long term vision that determines the destination is worth the trip.
It'll blow over soon, until the next Solar City re-litigation scheduled IRRC for January 2021.

Edit: logorrhea

Last edited:
Reactions: Hock1 and MC3OZ
During the run up from last fall, I started using margin to buy when I didn’t have any dry powder. I got a little too aggressive, and when the COVID dip hit, I was getting uncomfortably close to margin calls. I never got any, but I went through a lot of effort of moving around money and sorting through tax lots to prioritize potential sales.

My personal rule is to keep my margin equity above 80% (broker’s current limit is 60%). It really did pay off during the run up - my “price paid“ is leveraged about 2:1.

Do you often close out your loan after a run-up or reduce exposure?

Do you often close out your loan after a run-up or reduce exposure?
No, I leave it open, but of course as the SP climbs, it becomes a smaller concern. Also, the APR is 4.8%. That’s a week’s round off error with TSLA.

I may close it someday but, honestly, I like the flexibility for the “buying opportunities” that drive the bulls on this site. If another big run up happens, it may make sense to do it on margin to some extent.

This is not advice. It’s just my thinking.

I’m not saying this is not good information but be careful not to read too much into the reporting. This data is as of June 30th 2020, a good 1.5 months ago.

In a world where everything we do is tracked in real time I find it somewhat disconcerting that the reporting requirements have not evolved. Maybe I’m overreacting but I personally am not making any decisions based on these filings. It is at best good to have information.

You can't sell 5000 cars in 6 months and be profitable when there are very little cross pollination between the ipace and their ICE. It's a money loser and just bleeds money.

No tougher challenge than selling a 100k ICEv per year.

Together with Range Rover JLR sells ~350k ICEv per year.

Hard to be profitable when VW and Toyota sell 10M/year.

It is tough being small in the automaker universe.

In addition, I believe they got the Buffalo GF for an incredible deal.