Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After reading all retirement posts of this am.
I really don't understand all the hype around retiring while young. Something is really wrong here - like you are forced to work at uranium mines untill you finally retire. And we are talking about 1st world countries and intellectual work here.
I left my last corporate job at 33 because I just didnt feel like I belong to that hierarchy at any level of it. I guess I could say that I retired, but I had maybe just a low to mid 6 figures in my pockets, and lost about $150k of them on some sapphire company soon after.
I did have a new business though, but it folded soon after with the whole sector of the economy of the country it was relying on.
I started another one and another one and then some more. Some profitable, some money loosing, some both at different stages of the lifecycle.
What I know now for sure is that I probably will never retire regardless of the money, untill necessary for medical reasons or similar. It is so much fun to create something all by yourself and be proud of it, or be worried about it - it all comes in the same package!

I really don't understand all the hype around retiring while young. Something is really wrong here - like you are forced to work at uranium mines untill you finally retire. And we are talking about 1st world countries and intellectual work here.
I left my last corporate job at 33 because I just didnt feel like I belong to that hierarchy at any level of it. I guess I could say that I retired, but I had maybe just a low to mid 6 figures in my pockets, and lost about $150k of them on some sapphire company soon after.
I did have a new business though, but it folded soon after with the whole sector of the economy of the country it was relying on.
I started another one and another one and then some more. Some profitable, some money loosing, some both at different stages of the lifecycle.
What I know now for sure is that I probably will never retire regardless of the money, untill necessary for medical reasons or similar. It is so much fun to create something all by yourself and be proud of it, or be worried about it - it all comes in the same package!
There is a big difference between 'retirement'...'entrepreneurship'....'starting new ventures'....'doing jack *sugar* all day' :)

Well there is some conflicting info coming from ARK then because I have heard Cathy Wood say "base case without including any autonomy". But I also see their charts that explain their "base case" as a probability matrix that is a blend of their bull and bear cases. So maybe they changed their methodology recently. Or, maybe they have run it both ways.
Given the way Tesla has been performing this year, they may have updated the inputs to their model and gotten different SPs and probability distribution. Note with their bear and bull cases ( <25% and >75% probabilities) they CAN assign "non-autonomy" to the bear case and "autonomy" to the bull case because the respective probabilities fall within the exclusive ranges. The "expected value" fell outside the exclusive ranges, so no autonomy assignment was possible. If (for example) a new analysis showed the expected value to fall within the exclusive probability range of non-autonomous cases, you would be correct.

That is awesome. I am happy you find such fulfillment in that.
Some people don’t and I applaud them for finding the things that provide them fulfillment.
One size does not fit all:)

I guess I was being conservative with all my entourage making fun of my 3 years waiting to get my Model 3 and people thinking the Model Y would arrive in 2023. Repeated doubters had their influence.

I got so many strange looks so many times over the past 2-3 years when I would say with a straight face "Tesla's growth is being hidden....in 3-4 years times Tesla will be a trillion dollar company and at least 3 traditional Auto makers will have gone bankrupt before 2025"

They never made fun of me.....but I'm sure they thought I was in the looney bin. I don't plan to rub it in their face........but I will invite them out on my boat when I buy it next year. I'm thinking I'm going to name the boat "Doubters"

Edit: Btw I would definitely take suggestions for boat names if anyone has some good ones :D

Last edited:

I've been retired for over 20 years and I still create things of value all by myself all the time! I just don't want economics and money to dictate what those things are! Small businesses are great but they require serious chunks of time and dedication. I like being able to go skiing when the powder is deep and fresh, hiking when the air is sweet and refreshing and cook a delicious meal when I'm hungry.

I'm a stock market investor because I don't think I have the risk tolerance to invest in small businesses. Not only would I be risking my capital, but my precious time. There are plenty of ways I can give back to the world without it being in the form of business (or working for a paycheck for someone else).

OK, sorry, OT in market hours, but, CHEERS!

(sour IPA...)

IMG_3737.jpg

I went over my 50% "diversification" rule. Should I just ride this out until Battery-Day-Split-Q3-FSD?
What is ARK doing now - are they adjusting down to their 10% TSLA yet? I have no idea where to find that info if anyone knows, thanks!

Speaking of Battery Day, any word on rules for attendance other than the usual stock proof in hand?

upload_2020-8-18_11-18-17.png

Great stuff from Solving the Money Problem's Steven Mark Ryan:

I just watched this and I agree completely! And I'm in good company because Peter Lynch is one of the most successful investors of all time.

And, no, he didn't try to time the market! He invested in quickly growing companies. A must watch for many of the "nervous Nellies" who think they will lose their shirt if they don't hover their finger over the "sell" button.

Last edited: