Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure about the others, but here are some other headlines for Kyle Guske articles:

Tesla Is the Most Dangerous Stock in 2020 and Intel is Worth a Look

Why Investors Should Sell Tesla and Buy Intel

Tesla: The Most Dangerous Stock for 2020

Podcast: Why This Automaker Is In The Danger Zone <<yes, that is about Tesla: "extremely irrational exuberance">>

Just August, and I probably missed some. While he may not be paid specifically to bash TSLA, that seems to be a high fraction of his output.

edited to fix two titles

Google should have been my first reference.

Thanks to your insights I did a search on the lead author (Trainer) of the Forbes hit job and found this gem:

Tesla has economic value of $50: David Trainer

He was hopelessly wrong back in 2013, and it looks like he'll just keep riding the "I'm a friggin' moron" train to the end of the track?

And, assuming this is the same guy, it appears the best possible course of action would be: DO THE EXACT OPPOSITE of whatever he recommends!

https://www.tipranks.com/bloggers/david-trainer

Ranked #6,840 out of 7,583 Bloggers on TipRanks (#12,938 out of 14,478 overall experts)

Average
Return
-2.5%

(He's ranked at 1/2 a star out of five.)

It's just stunning how bad this guy is. Enjoy the cut-and-paste of the 2013 article:

David Trainer, president of New Constructs Inc., said Monday that Tesla Motors is so far ahead of itself in value that it looks "like a pump-and-dump scheme that's basically going to enrich some corporate insiders, some Wall Street insiders and leave the Average Joe holding the bag."

MW-BG687_musk_e_MD_20130812100559.jpg

Elon Musk
BLOOMBERG
While Tesla shares were falling Monday, purportedly because Lazard Capital Markets had downgraded the stock to "neutral," Trainer was far from indifferent about the stock while appearing on the "Danger Zone" segment of MoneyLife with Chuck Jaffe, saying he believes Tesla has an economic value per share of "50 bucks … but it could be a lot worse."

Tesla's share slip also follows some negative "bubble trouble" comments in Barron's over the weekend.

"The stock price is ridiculous because it basically implies that these guys are not going to have any competition, and will enjoy margins on par with Harley-Davidson," Trainer said, noting that the current stock price in the $150 range "implies 25% compounded annual growth in revenue for over 20 years."

Trainer, whose Nashville firm judges stocks and funds on a scale from "most attractive" to "most dangerous," noted that Tesla had gotten a big boost earlier this year "from profits that aren't real," citing that virtually the entire profit was related to either a deal with the Department of Energy or to foreign currency gains. Further, he noted a tremendous stock-options liability, noting that with the stock riding high many of those options were being exercised.

While Tesla stock has been riding high, there is plenty of bearish sentiment; Market IQ noted that the social sentiment on the stock was 83% bearish.

Visit our Video Center
You can listen to Trainer's "Danger Zone" interview at www.moneylifeshow.com

-- Chuck Jaffe

You know, when the stock price rises for no apparent reason we see endless posts speculating about possible good reasons. When the stock price tanks for no apparent reason then there are endless posts whining about "manipulation". In reality, the stock fluctuates as people buy and sell due to various irrational sentiments. People here, relatively well informed, do so constantly. So it's no surprise that the poorly informed do so too.

Anybody aware of any actual news today, especially something that broke around 10:45EDT?

Last edited:
LoL. I'm not afraid to admit I sold in May after the 5/1 8:11 tweet cuz I thought Elon was losing his mind. I told my wife and she gave me the chilling "you effing retard" look. Mind you, I've always been the wallet keeper but here're her exact words "Why did you do that? It was our ticket out of this dump!" :p So I bought back quickly after. :oops:

This is pretty much exactly what happened to me.

Having grown up in a family ravaged by mental illness, I truly thought Elon was having a nervous breakdown, demonstrating signs or psychosis that I had observed growing up. I ran to my wife and told her we needed to immediately sell our (leveraged) shares - she thought I was overreacting, but I still went through with my panic sale.

Anyway, the next day Elon seemed to, "recover." Buoyed by the resiliency of the stock and the guidance of level-headed TMC gurus I immediately began buying again, not waiting for dips, and was able to ultimately get back to about 90% of my original position. While I've obviously left some $$$ on the table and now having a higher cost basis, my TSLA investment fortunately remains a life-changing tool for my family (although not quite in an island buying way).

You know, when the stock price rises for no apparent reason we see endless posts speculating about possible good reasons. When the stock price tanks for no apparent reason then there are endless posts whining about "manipulation". In reality, the stock fluctuates as people buy and sell due to various irrational sentiments. People here, relatively well informed, do so constantly. So it's no surprise that the poorly informed do so too.

Anybody aware of any actual news today, especially something that broke around 13:45EDT?

Umm there's a very obvious reason as to why people are speculating. Seeing a stock go up or down throughout a day, even 4-7% is nothing to speculate about.

Seeing a stock go completely vertical in the matter of 5 mins on very strong volume is very much worth speculating. Could be nothing of course. But what happened 20-30 minsa go was very unnatural stock trading action

I bought Tesla logo golf shirts about a month ago. They are generating lots of useful conversations. I am now thinking of wearing only Tesla logo shirts, but I would like to get better quality ones than what I purchased. Any Ideas?
Wearing Tesla logo clothing is a great way for us (owners and stockholders) to promote our Company.. Up until a year or so ago, I used to jump eagerly into conversations about Tesla often wishing I hadn't, due to Tesla Derangement Syndrome or people just not interested or hateful of Elon. Now, since I've been wearing logos, most of the conversations are with people who are either other Tesla owners or people who are genuinely interested in learning about the car. Saves a lot of time and aggravation.

Anybody aware of any actual news today, especially something that broke around 13:45EDT?

But don't we all agree there are interested entities with LOTS of capital whose sole purpose is to manage outcomes?

Having grown up in a family ravaged by mental illness, I truly thought Elon was having a nervous breakdown, demonstrating signs or psychosis that I had observed growing up. I ran to my wife and told her we needed to immediately sell our (leveraged) shares - she thought I was overreacting, but I still went through with my panic sale.

Anyway, the next day Elon seemed to, "recover." Buoyed by the resiliency of the stock and the guidance of level-headed TMC gurus I immediately began buying again, not waiting for dips, and was able to ultimately get back to about 90% of my original position. While I've obviously left some $$$ on the table and now having a higher cost basis, my TSLA investment fortunately remains a life-changing tool for my family (although not quite in an island buying way).
Same. I peeled off 25% when that happened. After it was clear he was just being goofy and not falling apart I bought back in at essentially the same price. I really did worry he was losing it.

I bought. I held--even when a Mod sold all. Today I'm happy. I expect to be even more happy in the future.

From my ticker’s news feed. Is this the sign that Tesla has jumped the shark?

Tesla Owners Can Find Their Electric Flame -- Overheard
8/20/20, 11:57 AM
If someone purchasing a top-of-the-line Tesla Model X a year ago had instead bought the company's shares, he or she would be sitting on a paper profit of three-quarters of a million dollars by now. But then, while money can't buy you love, that Tesla might.

Owners of a car that regularly needs to be hooked up to an outlet have just as much trouble hooking up as the rest of us. Now a new dating service, the Tesla Dating Co., seeks to make it easier.

"It became a big part of their identity," says Ajitpal Grewal, the Canadian e-commerce entrepreneur who is developing the app. "Suddenly it hit me: These people would be perfect for each other."

The site requires applicants to prove Tesla ownership before joining. Yet Chief Executive Officer Elon Musk, the man who named his four vehicle models so that they would spell "S-3-X-Y," has no affiliation with Mr. Grewal's venture.

It is hard to imagine a similar app for, say, Fords or Toyotas, but then how many owners of those cars can name the chief executive of the manufacturer, much less worship him? This one describes itself as being for an "exclusive community of like-minded Elon stans...the kind of people that really understand you."