Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agreed. Elon Musk said in the video in Berlin:

It's a radical redesign of the core technology of building a car. And some of this when I do Battery Day later in September I'll talk about what we're going to be doing here in Berlin but it will be the first time that there is going to be a transformation in the core structural design of the vehicle. It's quite a big thing.​

My read on this is a revolutionary and faster way to install batteries in the structure of the vehicle that will drive down production costs. Else why would he talk about it for Battery Day? Batteries and drive unit(s) are the "core technology" of a BEV, no?

I vote for very heavy handed work on mega castings and cells basically fixed (not cast in but almost) into the chassis floor pan.

1M mile battery and motors in a 1M mile (non corroding) chassis = recycle the whole car at EOL.........a long way down the road.

oh yeah, a bunch cheaper too! $25K M3s anyone? :D

I'd be curious to hear reactions to this Tweet by JRP007. In a nutshell, he's arguing that much of the buying in recent weeks was from hedge funds hoping to engineer a squeeze when S&P500 index funds learn they must acquire TSLA. When Tesla announced the details of their $5 billion cap raise, it became apparent that Tesla was going to do what's necessary to keep a massive squeeze from taking place. Since Tesla's cap raise announcement, we've been seeing a decline in the stock price, which is some of these hedge funds unwinding their positions (still at a profit for most) because the big squeeze plan is going to be foiled by Tesla.

I doubt this theory simply because 5B is not going to put a big dent on the squeeze that might occur. If you buying the rumour, wait properly until the news comes out no? Although It might have been A contributing factor, but there has to be more factors involved.

What I dont understand is that TSLA in Pre market was down almost 7-8%, But the broader market Nasdaq down only a few points as well as Sand P. And now TSLA is holding up still at 7% when Nasdaq down ~5% and SnP down 2.7%. Super strange. Could the MM be covering when the broader market is crashing?

Maybe he struck gold and booked Gordon Johnson.

I had no idea Rob wanted to get into the comedy scene! Comedy could really benefit from more dry humor, it's my favorite style. Rob's going to go far in this space if he doesn't run out of great guests like Gordon Johnson. But make no mistake, this is a tall order - it's hard to find people so stupid and ignorant that they are actually funny.

Tesla is not in the business of trading their stock or capping the price. They are raising capital for expansion. Any limits they put on the price of shares sold would be regular market limit orders (which means the shares could be sold at any price above the limit price). To put an upper limit on the price would be acting contrary to shareholder interests (which would make it illegal).

To avoid obvious price caps it is almost a certainty that the shares available for sale would be divided into blocks, each with a different limit price. It's confusing to me why you picked an example price of 3 times the current price. That's not a realistic guess.

I couldn't agree more. SnP must have begged Tesla for raising money. Tesla must have negotiated that they agree to do it only in the pre-condition that they get to decide the price and timing.

Last edited:
From DaveT:
"But since I'm more of a long-term investor, I'm not too concerned about the stock price over the next 5 years. My main concern is the level of execution Tesla has and if Tesla is continuing to push ambitiously toward their aggressive growth goals. If Tesla executes well, then the stock price will take care of itself. And I expect TSLA in 2030 to be a lot higher than it is now."

And This

Last edited:
Haha, they are really overdoing the tech rotation today. Investors are very stupid, all I've ever invested in is tech and even before TSLA went parabolic it was easy to outperform the S&P 500 year in and year out. I've seen more tech rotations than I can count over the years, this is why I deserve to be rich and the vast majority of people don't.

The current Y is going to get a single piece rear casting. Add a couple more presses and you can get a single rear, single front and single side castings. Not too dissimilar to their patent but 4 individual castings. Connect these 4 castings together with the cell to pack battery structure and you have the complete superstructure of the car. I'd call that a "transformation in the core structural design of the vehicle".

And holy crap This!

Point, Tesla is an amazing company and handsomely rewards the mature long term investor. I have a huge amount of gratitude for Elon Musk, his vision, heart, and all the hard working employees who are hitting it out of the park!

Manipulate away. I'm long and strong!

Last edited:
I don’t believe JRP007’s explanation at all. If funds were front running then explain:
1. Why wouldn’t Baillie Gifford wait until the infinity squeeze to sell? They sold their shares even before Tesla’s cap raise announcement, so they clearly weren’t spooked by that.
2. If funds are front running then why are they selling right now with the risk that inclusion announcement could happen any night? People are trying to say the funds are spooked by $5 billion cap raise. That amount is less than 10% of what the Index funds alone must add. That doesn’t even take into account the amount the benchmarked funds must add.
3. Folks on CNBC that are fund managers have given interviews stating that they haven’t added TSLA yet and are happy that their benchmarks haven’t either because they would be underperforming their benchmarks. @FrankSG posted one such video last week.

I agree (although BG did have to sell because of their rule about how large portion o their portfolio a stock may be; they sold befor the big drops, so we’re not the cause).

My hypothesis is that the culprits had acquired a load of chairs by frontrunning and decided to use them to earn more money before the announcement. Dump them and buy them back way cheaper a couple of days later.

Growth Company doing buybacks?
It depends on how they get the cash and what they intend to do with it in the first place. If this $5B coincides with their upcoming capex projects and/or is a one time thing, it's fine. But, if next week the action gets hot and they issue more to get it under control, I think there're gonna be problems if they don't return it in some shape or form down the road.

Last edited:
Reactions: Harrito
Feels like we're shaking out a lot of weak longs, first time TSLA investors and maybe hedge funds who were speculating on an S&P 500 squeeze and are no longer convinced that will happen.

There may still be some folks whose brokers are finally entering the Tesla dividend shares into clients' accounts. Today might be the first day for them to sell or place stop limits on the new shares. We likely saw some of this yesterday and perhaps more today.

Regarding an S&P 500 inclusion, my guess has always been after the market close on September 18th in conjunction with the quarterly rebalancing. That may make the process smoother for index funds. Usually the announcement of a rebalancing is made a week prior, but last September it was two weeks prior. This year the fact that only US markets will be closed on Monday for Labor Day, would seem to make an announcement tomorrow impractical. Otherwise the European exchanges could experience chaos on Monday. Tuesday may be more likely for an announcement, or perhaps as late as Friday September 11th to allow for a weekend in which index funds can plan their reallocation strategies.