Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am at odds with the general feeling here at the moment.
She is bang on with that analysis. NKLA's stock price reaction to this news is completely unhinged.

They just handed nearly all of their margins directly to GM. The only margin left for them to realize is on the whatever spread they think they can achieve in consumer prices versus GMs costs. NKLA will produce essentially nothing, and thus have no means of materializing markup on anything it actually produces. Better hope that GM is able to keep costs down low enough that the vehicles can actually be sold at a price point that consumers are willing to actually buy the vehcile.

Granted, it's only for one of their "products"... oh wait... no it's not... GM just got exclusivity to supply NKLA on a cost plus basis (i.e., GM will never lose money; even if NKLA does) on ALL of its battery and fuel cells for their semi truck production as well. Again, better hope that GM is capable of delivery those at a reasonable cost since last I checked the battery is the most expensive part of the vehicle.

I'm not sure how this is in any way a good deal for NKLA.
Given that Nikola were pretty screwed after having announced vaporware, I think it is a pretty good deal. Staying afloat would be a good outcome for them given that they may not have any real capability of their own. Good deal for GM also given their difficult circumstances.

Secondly, I never wanted the raise. I hope it is not needed and just insurance. I want max squeeze. 1% is small but could have a significant affect. Tesla will be printing money soon, where are they going to spend it without being wasteful?

Thirdly, inclusion is for me more important than anything else. Apologies for wanting the share price to rocket soon rather than it going up organically.

Some people got hurt and are mad ouch:

Screenshot_20200908-164313.png

Screenshot_20200908-164738.png

I’ve learned a good lesson. Don’t hold your call options with the conviction of a buy & HODLer.
I’ve been thinking the exact same thing! I wanted to hold up until Battery Day and I’ve lost profits because I was too stubborn to sell. From now on, if I’m holding calls during a feeding frenzy, I’m selling into that strength, rather than waiting for further catalysts.

I have compiled a list of reasons to feel good about today:

1. I woke up healthy today
2. I woke up in my own home with easy access to food, clean water, and my needs are met
3. I have a model s I can go drive if I feel like having a Tesla smile
4. If I ignored the tsla ticker for the next six months, my life would probably continue just fine.

I could go on.

My paper loss today was greater than my net worth was a few years ago.

Be wary of greed. It is a trap. The Tesla mission is more important than money. We are fortunate that pursuing that mission is helping humanity and likely to make us investors a large amount of money.

At the end of my work day today, I can have a beer and play a video game. I am thankful for that, too.

1. I woke up healthy today
2. I woke up in my own home with easy access to food, clean water, and my needs are met
3. I have a model s I can go drive if I feel like having a Tesla smile
4. If I ignored the tsla ticker for the next six months, my life would probably continue just fine.

I could go on.

My paper loss today was greater than my net worth was a few years ago.

Be wary of greed. It is a trap. The Tesla mission is more important than money. We are fortunate that pursuing that mission is helping humanity and likely to make us investors a large amount of money.

At the end of my work day today, I can have a beer and play a video game. I am thankful for that, too.

5. My 8 year old daughter and my 10 year old son said "I love you dad"

Please stop making "presplit" references. It doesn't convey information. market cap and % changes do
Today is 532 weeks since the IPO.
Today is <1.5 weeks since the split
So for 1-(1.5/532) = 99.7% of it's existence, investors have dealt in pre-split based numbers. That is the level of movement people are used to, it is also the number they can quickly use to estimate their account movements.
Give it time.

Edit: typo

Last edited:
OK. We lost 21% today and are down about 34% from ATH close...in five trading days.

Umm, that certainly conveys information...but I can't say it works for me any better.

Maybe try another side of Elon's tweet "A la guerre comme a la guerre" as applied to us LT investors - vs how it applies to Tesla's recent goings on, as I deciphered accurately from the French Petit Robert - ""In war as in war: Suffer hard times, or have a good time, depending on the prevailing circumstances" Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the 2019-2020 Investors' Roundtable

Reactions: traxila
I’ve been thinking the exact same thing! I wanted to hold up until Battery Day and I’ve lost profits because I was too stubborn to sell. From now on, if I’m hold calls during a feeding frenzy, I’m selling into that strength, rather than waiting for further catalysts.

Yeah - I loaded up on calls for the “Autumn of catalysts,” of which yes, a squeeze from inclusion wouldn’t have had me complaining.

The plan was to find an exit point to convert to shares. Or just sit on all cash for a while during election turmoil.

My trading account swelled to heights I had never dreamt of (still far less than most on this forum). I thought this is far more money than I deserve to make on an educated gamble, so I should probably sell it all. I perseverated and was occupied with other things, as my mother-in-law passed away unexpectedly two weeks ago. It wasn’t so much greed as it was just trying to figure out what to sell and what to exercise given I’d be facing a tax bill larger than any amount of money I had ever seen. I didn’t quite get the time to think about it as thoroughly as I wanted to.

Now the account is around 1/5 of what it was just a few days ago. It doesn’t really bother me, as the market - which I abhor - is simply the only way I have to participate in the Tesla story. And the story is far more important and fascinating than any amount of money you could hand me, truly.

On the Model Y speculation going to EU next quarter.

I like to stop by our local store occasionally. There were about 10 new Model 3/Model Y total on the whole lot. That's it. They were all in one place and a big area cleared for what looked like an area for the end of quarter push. I am pretty sure all those cars were spoken for as the build dates were mostly very late August and even a few from last week. It was nice to see the parking lot with room to separate the new cars from the service cars. I could not find one new Model S/X.

A look online for local inventory cars shows only 3 new Model S in the whole NYC area, No new Model X, a handful of Model 3. There are no Model Y inventory cars as of yet.

I have a neighbor that ordered a Model Y 3 weeks ago and still no delivery date.

I have casually watched inventory online and physically for many years. One reason I like to visit the stores to see if the cars there somewhat line up with what we are seeing online.

Given low inventory I don't think they will be building the Model Y for EU next quarter. It's actually quite bullish as the number of cars I am seeing overall in stock is quite low now, especially given the higher run rates. Even used model 3 prices seem to be getting a bump from the lack of available new cars.

Today is 532 weeks since the IPO.
Today is <1.5 weeks since the split
So for 1-(1.5/532) = 99.7% of it's existence, investors have dealt in pre-split based numbers. That is level the movement people are used to, it is also the number they can quickly use to estimate their account movements.
Give it time.

Dollar amount changes never really mean anything. Less so for a company that 10x'ed inside of a year. Remarking on a change in dollar amount per share perpetuates a fundamental misunderstanding on how companys and stock are valued.