Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe I have discovered the secret to the efficiency of Lucid Air: It's narrow, only 65.47 inches (w/o mirrors).

Model S is nearly a foot wider at 77.3 inches. It is also about an inch taller giving it about 20% bigger frontal area.

Even Model 3 is over 7 inches wider and over 1 inch taller.
This changes my perspective, 20%less frontal area to yield 17% better “efficiency”, so their drive train is not really much more efficient after all.
Also this size could mean they would not be able to compete with Model S?

I couldn't get through much more than the first few minutes of the Lucid unveil. All this smooth blather. Perhaps people who like that sort of thing are their audience?

Let's start with the claim that they chose to "think completely different". Note they didn't say "think different" because that would be thinking the same as Apple, but they retained the recognizable grammatical anomaly so as to claim kinship with Apple's legendary design prowess. Only not.

And then they went through a bunch of things that somehow thinking completely different led them to, and amazingly they were almost exactly what Tesla did with the Model S, mostly back in 2012. Uncanny! They could have shortened their presentation significantly by just saying "Tesla got it all right, so we copied them. Only completely different, if you know what we mean."

And in market-speak that defied physics they decided to make "something that just flowed through the air without being overly aggressive, and through that vision we came up with this idea of a jet..." Umm... hard to get more aggressive than a jet. Maybe they meant a glider? I sure don't think they are using a propulsion system that flings mass out the back end.

And they were inspired to "simplify the vehicle down to its very core essence. The car really has just one line that goes all the way round, and that became this key defining feature and all of the other details flay [play?] off of that one line..." Maybe I just don't have enough patience with design-speak, but that struck me as seriously heavy on the bullshit.

And it all culminated in "the largest taillight ever". I had to stop at that point.

I had a deja vu scrolling through this Lucid Air unveil. A deja vu back to that Cadillac EV thing they 'unveiled' a while back. This wasn't an unveil, it was an hour and a half long promotional video and Q&A with fake questions to make themselves look good.

I instantly dislike any company, politician, or person in general who is fake, dishonest, and cares too much about being perfect. To me, Lucid's presentation works like anti-marketing, and makes me avoid their product and company until I see evidence of excellence. I just have a hard time trusting a company that presents itself like this, especially when it's an unproven startup. There's no way they are as perfect and amazing as they present themselves.

As for the Lucid Air, I'll see it when I believe it. Too many companies have promised the world with their EVs only to fall short. The Taycan's range, and now the ID.3 that @avoigt mentioned on Twitter will cost €49k for 160 miles of range. When Lucid is actually producing and selling this car, it'll be interesting to see what its specs are, but for now I have a hard time believing anything they say, partly due to the way they present themselves, and partly due to broken promises of other companies regarding their EVs.

Everyone see this?
UPDATE: Tesla shares plummet after stock left out of S&P 500 rebalancing

Who’s he? Sounds like something someone would say right before they do something unexpected :)
God damn Q3 Production report is gonna rock this world

Well at least Elon had the self-awareness to see his own hubris in the past. These guys are so stuck up their own asses that they can't breathe.

Indeed, bring on $600+ and let's wreck their stupid index as-and-when, they deign to allow $TSLA to sully the S&P500.

Two words: **** them!

Who would you like to see succeed as the 2nd US EV maker (behind Tesla)?
  • Ford
  • GM
  • Chrysler
  • Rivian
  • Lucid
  • No one
6 months ago I would have said Rivian, now I prefer Lucid, even though their first car isn't something I personally would buy.

IMO the legacy ICE makers have tried to slow down the adoption of EVs and don't have a culture of innovation.

The world is big enough for 2 US car companies it will be a long hard slog for Lucid to get to scale, just as tough as it was for Tesla.

if I had to nominate who is most likely to fill second spot it is GM, they don't deserve it and their products will be mediocre unless they can complete overhaul their corporate culture.

No one is a possibility, but not very likely IMO.

Depends on your definition of "succeed", but I'd personally put my money on no one. I think they'll all sell less than 20% the volume of Tesla, quite possibly less than 10%.

As far as which one I'd like to see succeed, probably Rivian. They seem to be pretty serious and hard working. My opinion could change though if the Tesla lawsuit uncovers some really shady stuff.

I believe I have discovered the secret to the efficiency of Lucid Air: It's narrow, only 65.47 inches (w/o mirrors).

Model S is nearly a foot wider at 77.3 inches. It is also about an inch taller giving it about 20% bigger frontal area.

Even Model 3 is over 7 inches wider and over 1 inch taller.
Wtf 7 inches skinner than a Model 3? I thought the Model 3 was skinny enough.

Lucid Air: Almost a motorcycle....

Lucid volumes will be insignificant. Personally I don't like the exterior (looks like a big boat). Without a supercharging network I have zero interest in that vehicle.
I'm snobbishly disinterested in Lucid.
I'm disinterested in anything that costs over 100k and it's not part of a masterplan to build something cheaper and at volume.
It's all about the Mission: luxury electric cars alone are insignificant, if not detrimental.

I don't want them to fail, I just don't want them to take business away from Tesla, I want them to take business from ICE manufacturers. From what I've seen and heard, I think they will be niche players for quite some time or at least/until they can build the equivalent of the models 3 and Y. And that's going to be some tough sledding IMHO.

It would be funny/ironic if the only people that could afford a Lucid would be Teslanaires.

Lucid aren't, and never will be, a competitor to Tesla, at least not in any meaningful sense. Lucid are a competitor to high-end luxury cars out there and the ICE market in general, of which there are several gazillion* vehicle that need to be replaced in the coming decades. The market is so huge that ALL manufacturers could all switch to 100% EV overnight and Tesla would still grow as planned.

(*WAG)

Currently:

upload_2020-9-9_23-14-29.png

Which equals US $383.28.....see y'all in the morning :)

Nothin' better than a good argument right before bed.
I can think of a number of reasons:
A) It can charge faster. Even the V3 SuperCharger doesn't reach the claimed 1200 miles/hour rate.
B) True Luxury. Can't get leather in any Tesla vehicle anymore. And Lucid emphasized that they're prioritizing build quality over production quantity. Definitely reminding people of panel gaps and other interior fit/finish issues.
C) Rear seat comfort. The "sculptured" battery pack means you may not have the knees too high issue that Model S has for back seat occupants.
D) The luxury back seat option - clearly aimed at the high-end China market where people have Chauffeurs.
E) 500+ miles of range, about 25% more than the longest range Tesla today.
A) Emphasis on "the claimed"... and Tesla not standing still.
B) I agree some folks still do equate luxury with dead tortured animals, but BEV buyers might be among the vanguard of the eco-conscious who know animal agriculture contributes to climate change more than transportation.
C) Never heard of this hardship for Model S passengers.
D) Tesla discontinued their executive rear seats. Not enough demand?
E) Wait two weeks.

Because that's not what the $150K market wants. They want slightly different, not totally different.
I see. Only slightly "drastically different."

At this price range, young people are not the target market for Lucid.
No young people with money in Beverly Hills? Have you been there?

So, you're showing a fan rendering as somehow supportive of Tesla? That's a fail. Again, high-end sedan buyers don't want radical looks, they want comfort and luxury with performance. As someone else pointed out, that Lucid is opening their first showroom in Beverly Hills says a lot. The competition for Lucid is the Taycan, not the Model S. At least for now.
Man-o-man, chill out brother. A fan rendering that looks exactly like the front half of Cybertruck does indeed give an idea what Cybercar could look like. And I'm not saying Cybercar will appeal to leather-loving same-only-different buyers. I said it will appeal to lots of buyers. Nighty night.

I don't see anyone talking about the Lucid V2G (vehicle-to-grid) capability?

Tesla has been resistant so far to provide V2G, mostly considering that some older Model S have free charging,
and may be because of the current 1,000 miles of free Supercharging with the referral program,
and also because Tesla sells Powerwalls.

However with Honda, Lucid, Nissan, and Toyota having V2G on some of their car, I wonder if Tesla would one day provide V2G?
Especially in some countries, like Japan, where V2G can be use as contingency back up for the grid.

(Sep 09, 2020) Nuvve Corporation's Vehicle-to-Grid (V2G) Platform Enables New Phase of Project Providing Grid Services in Japan

Who would you like to see succeed as the 2nd US EV maker (behind Tesla)?
  • Ford
  • GM
  • Chrysler
  • Rivian
  • Lucid
  • No one
6 months ago I would have said Rivian, now I prefer Lucid, even though their first car isn't something I personally would buy.

IMO the legacy ICE makers have tried to slow down the adoption of EVs and don't have a culture of innovation.

The world is big enough for 2 US car companies it will be a long hard slog for Lucid to get to scale, just as tough as it was for Tesla.

if I had to nominate who is most likely to fill second spot it is GM, they don't deserve it and their products will be mediocre unless they can complete overhaul their corporate culture.

No one is a possibility, but not very likely IMO.
Except for the last sentence (which I don't understand), I agree with nearly everything you say.

Rooting for Lucid but getting past the Great Filter of scaling up makes it unlikely any of the startups end up #2 behind Tesla. IMO, the only way they survive is being bought by a tera-tech giant.

That pretty much leaves GM by default because Ford won't survive as a stand-alone company.

Tesla has been resistant so far to provide V2G, mostly considering that some older Model S have free charging,
and may be because of the current 1,000 miles of free Supercharging with the referral program,
and also because Tesla sells Powerwalls.

I'm expecting V2G to be one of the things revealed at Battery Day, and so are at least some others (Now You Know - Youtube channel comes to mind).
Makes sense to add it with the Millon Mile Battery. Current Tesla batteries already last pretty long, so the MMB isn't such a huge deal for cars, but for V2G it's awesome.
Now, will they allow V2G for older cars? I don't know.

Reactions: Watts_Up
Well at least Elon had the self-awareness to see his own hubris in the past. These guys are so stuck up their own asses that they can't breathe.

Indeed, bring on $600+ and let's wreck their stupid index as-and-when, they deign to allow $TSLA to sully the S&P500.

Two words: **** them!
If there was a stronger rating than love I would give it to your post. This was exactly my reaction reading that blog post, and I am a person who avoids using bad words!!! F*** them and their stupid index.

there are 3 major catalysts before the December rebalancing of the index. Battery day, Production and Delivery report for Q3 and Q3 ER. By all counts Q3 appears to be a blowout quarter. By December rebalancing they will be dealing with a SP close to 700 with market cap twice as high as now. We HODLers will have a great Christmas and New Year’s celebrations!

In fact, I am glad it will be in Q4 - now it is separated enough from Battery day so that the effects of battery day will be felt with full attention. Otherwise the Q3 rebalancing would steal some of the thunder from battery day.

full disclosure: I have leather in vehicles I own where there was no option offered by the manufacturer but I am not a fan of leather seats for a number of reasons including due to how they wear and age.

I have purposely factory ordered cars without leather for my own use, and love the fact that the interior looks good years on.

Porsche, Bmw, MBz all offer non leather options, and Range Rover ie the velar was launched with Leather as the “cheap” trim and the highest end trim was non- leather.

Bentley is working on pineapple ( animal free ) leathers. While others are exploring mushroom leathers. These will be expensive options to eliminate the leather.

Car enthusiasts pay extra in $500k to 2.5 million dollar Ferrari’s for the non-leather Alcantara (non animal based fabric) as a highly desired option - primarily for reasons including weight savings, and anecdotally I can say I know a couple of owners who are vegan so ordered their Ferrari’s with carbon fibre and Alcantara but no leather.

Bentley Goes Vegan and Leather Alternatives 101 | Vegan Interior Design & Cruelty-Free Trademark

From the business side of things Elon is way ahead of the game. He caught on to this - and eliminated the leather seating in Tesla’s years ago. Maybe there were some that didn’t like that, but it hasn’t hurt the sales numbers - particularly with younger people.

I’m glad he’s innovating & sees what people want. Leather was available from Tesla when I bought my S, I purposely waited to get a non leather seat version, and had to wait longer to get one at the time. A couple of sales guys at Tesla at the time told me that it was a popular request to have non leather seats.

not surprisingly Tesla made it standard on all Tesla’s a little while later.

Last edited: