Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's this morning's Tech chart from 09:30 AM:

sc.TSLA.50-DayChart.2020-09-10.09-30.png

Note that the Mid-BB was 402.05 at the Open.

Cheers!

As an investor, Lucid is irrelevant. Even if they totally destroyed Teslas model S performance sales, its such a small part of teslas business that who cares? Plus... they wont. And they certainly wont do it soon. I'll care when I see one on an actual road driven by an actual buyer. (Taking of which I saw my first every jaguar i-pace yesterday).

As a car-buyer, I actually do NOT want 1200 miles/hour charging rate. I never charge my S on a road trip more than 200 miles as it is, and FFS I need time to have a coffee and a call of nature.
My 2015 model S tends to get 50kw or slower when I charge at a supercharger. Its already fast enough for me. Why do people constantly compete over a metric thats already fine.

The future of EVs is not faster, or longer range, or faster charging. Its cheaper. He who makes desirable, cheap EVs will win. Everything else is for corporate bragging rights.

I saw my first i-pace yesterday also in Silicon Valley. Took a while... :D

Proof we are living in the matrix.

Look Out, Tesla, Another EV Is Coming—and This One Is Gunning for You

In that article is this gem:

"The Air isn’t only about range and charge time. It also comes with advanced safety features, like a Model S, and an Amazon.com (AMZN) Alexa personal assistant integrated into its controls."

edit to say that's a MarketWatch article for those who already took a shower.

I think it’s time for me to ignore MarketWatch amongst others on the same list (CNBC, CNN business, Fox Business - basically the entire Apple News section in their stocks app)...

I think it’s about to run.
I saw my first i-pace yesterday also in Silicon Valley. Took a while... :D

on competitors

has there been a product to doa faster than the ipace?

I hope they learned a lot from that.

NKLA down another 8% thus far on the day.

I’m cool with Lucid saying, “we’re utilizing every detail of Tesla’s playbook because it worked” because they actually seemed to have done that, but Nikola feels so shabby. I want Lucid to succeed and Nikola to fail.

Surprised this wasn't posted yet....but Giga Texas operational in May

Tesla Cybertruck poised to start trial production runs in Giga Texas in May 2021

It was posted yesterday but surprisingly few commented. There is also a thread on this subject here:

TeraFactory Austin Texas Preliminary Build Schedule --- Substantial completion ****

Another interesting milestone is dry factories by New Years. So roofs and walls. And they can start putting delicate machinery inside safe from weather issues.

As for the competition between countries - I think the first Model 3 rolled out of Giga Shanghai 9 months after the first work was done on the site. And if May 1st holds then Texas will have used 10 months or so.

Daimler: "Für neue Modellreihen wird das Elektroauto zuerst entwickelt" - ecomento.de

Translated by @avoigt

Sorry if I’m stealing Alex’s thunder, but these quotes are priceless:

Daimler CEO Källenius:
"Although it is clear that the future is emission-free & electric, as an established manufacturer one cannot simply send 300,000 employees home & build up an electric car company with 20,000 re-employed people"

"And we have decided on a paradigm shift. In future, the electric car will be developed first for all-new model series," Källenius emphasized. "We have set the course. But the journey will take at least ten years."

This is why Elon is talking with Diess on a regular basis. MB and BMW are dragging their feet and what they have done to date is not good. VW is not crushing it, but they keep pushing forward and are trying to learn from their mistakes (as quickly as possible). MB and BMW seem to go back to their board of directors to get direction. VW has decided on a platform and long term strategy and that is the way to leverage a big company. Tesla is not encumbered with big governance and that helps them be a fast leader. A well run mature company can be a close follower with good governance and use the tools that kept them in business for 100 years. Those same tools can doom a company that does not fully commit to disruptive technology. See Ford, GM, MB, BMW & Toyota. I expect Toyota to make a dramatic shift in the next 2 years, but they are currently lost. Tesla and VW have a historic opportunity to dominate the western auto market. They are building cars and charging systems and the ecosystem to make the cars work for consumers. This is the reason I like the cap raise, which will give Tesla the debt ratings to grow faster. Even if they have adequate capital to grow 50% YOY, with better debt ratings, they could grow 75-100% for the next 3 years and have long term control of 50% or more of the global EV market. I think Tesla may be Ford and VW the GM of the world and both could be selling 20 million cars a year if the rest of the industry continues to drag their feet into oblivion.
I'm sure Tesla will be announcing a 3rd phase of Shanghai or a new site for a new model in Q1 2021. As soon as Model 3 production was up, the phase 2 Model Y plant was started. They will be generating cash flow to fund a new plant\or plant expansion starting Q1 and it would not be like Elon to sit back and enjoy the win, he will capitalize on Model Y production with a new investment. A Model 2 or a small truck, a Semi a 3H (hatchback) could all be next in China.
Seeing the Austin timing for May\June building completion, points to Berlin opening late Q1, with limited output in Q2 and ramping in Q3 and 4. Austin should see limited production by Q3 and ramping starting in Q4 and Q1 2022. Full production for Fremont and Shanghai should be about 1.1 million cars. Berlin may only be 100,000 cars in 2021, but likely closer to 200,000 cars. Berlin phase 2 should start as soon as production has started as well and again, phase 2 starting about 10-12 months later.
Could Austin could be a phase 1 & 2 concurrent project. With the fund raise being adequate to accelerate the project and Tesla needing N. American capacity to make additional upgrades to Fremont, Austin will be making the Model Y, the Cybertruck and the Semi, to phase 1 should be bigger then Shanghai and Berlin. If they can move some production out of Fremont, they can create space to replace the original paint shop, install more giga-casting machines and rebuild assembly lines and increase long term output and quality in ways they can't while Fremont is so critical.
Short term, I'm still hoping to see an S&P update tonight after close, but that is looking like a no. I do think the market is starting to price in good Q3 profit, Q4 MIC Y and delivery of the Berlin plant on time. Battery day could be a sell the news, unless accompanied by new products that we expect (Plaid S/X) and maybe some firmer dates for Roadster and Semi.

So how many "ick engines" does your family own, operate and maintain? Serious question.

Please include any tool or vehicle containing one of these "ick engines". :)
I’ve gone over our fleet size in the past but that was now many tens or even hundreds of thousands of posts ago, so -

First - I managed to sell off THREE of them this summer! Yay! Including the two doggiest of the dogs.

So now we’re down to, in order of oldest—->youngest:

1980 BJ40 Land Cruiser. A real Back of the Barn Beast - haven’t turned over the engine in five years. Drips with sentimentality, as it embodies great off-road performance with classic looks, and enriches dental surgeons everywhere each time we take it out. Frame excellent for a 40-yo Cruiser; body VG. Its rarity in not having rusted out is surpassed by its supreme rarity of that diesel engine: Toyota never sold a single “BJ” in the United States.

198x 90hp Johnson outboard, affixed to an ultra-rare 17’ Boston Whaler SuperSport Limited. I was gifted this from the Chmn of the company that owned Whaler; it itself was a company vessel and has “WHALER” in obscenely large type along its flanks. Even more parked than the BJ40: I towed it to Alaska in the late 1990s, put it in Paxson Lake for one two-hour trip; fogged the engine and it now has sat for this entire millennium untouched.

1988 FJ62 Land Cruiser. Near-Barrett Jackson quality example of the first of the auto tranny Cruisers. Second owner; it started life as a production rig for an ex-Baja racer who turned to filming the race instead, then used it to film from Costa Rica to polar bears in the NWTerritories. He had an entire mechanical staff in his production studio to “make sure you solve any problem before I take it into the field because it can’t break down once we’re out”, as he told me. I’ve driven it all over Alaska as well, and have tried to keep it in as good a shape as its first owner. But it’s too small for the three of us plus two malamutes so it rarely gets used.

2006 VW Golf TDI. Off the very last transport ship that brought TDIs to the US from VW’s Brazilian assembly plant, marking the end of their diesels to the US market, as they no longer could meet the increasingly strict emissions standards. Oops! Some years later VW “solved” :mad: the diesel emissions problems and re-introduced them (and, thus.....Electrify America:rolleyes:o_O:oops:). Our solution to all those times we need to go into town (400 mi r/t if Fairbanks; 600+ if Anchorage) but don’t need the pickup. Still as zippy and fun to drive and unsafe as when new, and I can still kiss 50mpg if I keep it under 60mph.

2008 F-350. Last manual transmission Ford (or GM or Dodge or Toyota or Nissan) ever made, with gooseneck hitch and ‘helper’ airbag suspension assist. Its 6.4l engine is a great improvement over that wretched interim 6.0l of the prior 5 or so years.....but I still hate it and consider it a perfect example of how manufacturers CANNOT solve the Performance or Reliability? dilemma. Those so-called emissions control patch-ons that have increasingly been stuck into and onto ICK engines - most particularly diesels - over the past quarter century or so do, in my considered and highly experienced opinion, two things: they fairly quickly fail in themselves, and they hobble the underlying power plant. In this sense, one can almost excuse {***ALMOST***} VW’s Dieselgate: at least they realized “clean diesel” was phony. The nostrum “reliable diesel” is a glorious fiction from the past and, of course and fatally, bypasses all discussion of hydrocarbon consumption and emissions.

2012 Mercedes Sprinter (long bed: 170” wb) . A massive rig with a relatively small diesel power plant that can supplant the pickup a large fraction of the time; that is, all but the real heavy hauling with the additional benefit of carrying most items weatherproofed in its interior. Nothing to love, but fairly capable. Really think it could be re-engineered with a +/-200kWh battery bank, perhaps 250-300kWh. Many, many points off it for the numbingly complex and virtually unapproachable electronics - makes minor repairs stupendously expensive.

2014 Northern Lights 30kW diesel generator. NL uses a Mitsubishi engine for its power plants. This supplants our PV panels to keep our 120kWh battery bank up. In its seven years, it has a total of just under 800 hours’ use - great testimony to the efficacy of PV + battery even high in the Alaska Range.

20xx DR Brush Hog. A “lawn mower” where we live? Ha! But also a small JDeere rider mower and a Craftsman push mower for our winter home....I have, though completely replaced those two with that Husqvarna electric and robotic Automower I’ve discussed in another post. A really cute 3HP trenching machine that I sure needed when burying 2,300 feet of guide wire for that Automower. 2 Stihl chainsaws....that have had about 90% of their use curtailed by first, a 36V Makita saw (so-so but underpowered) and now a 80V EGO saw (pretty good; have cut down and bucked up an alder 20” in diameter....but that stretched the saw’s limits).

Including the 3 previously mentioned, I also have sold off w/o replacing three or four other ICK Engined vehicles in recent years. Bizarrely, all those sales mean we have not even one snowmachine OR ATV. Pretty odd for Interior Alaska.

You specified “engines”. That is all of them currently. In addition, however, we have one oil-fired furnace (“oil” = fuel oil = diesel#1), and one oil-fired steam cleaner, and many oil-fired heaters - one for each cabin. And propane water heaters and cookstoves.

Is this On Topic? Stretchingly, I suppose.

Any AI /Python wizards around? We could use an algo that hides from view (on demand) low quality OT posts, and also optionally ON Topic lower quality ones too. Barring that, maybe simply require an [OT] be inserted for each such post by the author, and/ or a self delete timer, say 3 day. And thanks to the mods for their tireless excellent job!
OT
yes I actually started my post with "OT."
I do that now when I make an "OT" post.
It clues the reader in to skip the post COMPLETELY.
If I want to make a point that is about Tesla investing I don't put it in that post, Or I put what is on topic first and then put an "OT" in the post to clue the reader in that the rest of the post is OT.

I would like an "OT" rating in with the likes and dislikes, and have the thread set up so if a post gets 5 "OT's" it would be a different color so that people could skip it. I've asked for such before, and I am led to believe I am a terrible fool because of it.

That only works if you want the pack to match ambient temperature. If it is -20C out, it's going to be a problem.
I know. I did think of that as a potential drawback. But a material with a high thermal conductivity coefficient can conduct heat both ways, for cooling and for heating. So incorporating a number of resistive (electric) heating elements strategically placed into the heat sink might help with the problem for cold climate driving. Or something else…