Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would it make sense to create a thread like this one (to share news that might affect Tesla the company and TSLA the stock price, and discuss both) but without comments on daily SP manipulation and small moves?

For those who care that much about manipulation, a dedicated thread would probably make a better case. I don't understand why we created separate threads for analysts targets, sales stats, technical analysis, industry competition, oil discussions... but not about manipulation. The topic ends up diluted here, and taken seriously only by a minority of contributors.

For those who don't have access to Google, Yahoo Finance or any website that streams real-time stock prices, we could help then by telling when the font goes green or red, and when to line goes vertical, horizontal or sideways. They could visit the thread to learn when the market is open and when it's close.

Just sayin'
PapaFox's thread handles that.

Always worth posting Rob Maurer videos here just in case people don't religiously watch them. This is his battery day predictions. At the end of the video Rob says he left out one prediction which he believes more important than everything else he mentioned. My guess is the potential of Tesla Energy enabled by larger better battery supply. Tesla energy is going after a bigger market than auto. The reason very few have focussed on it is because thus far Tesla has not had enough batteries to go after energy as ambitiously as auto. In the Autonomy Day presentation there were clear figures showing how a robo taxi fleet would blow away the competition and be a huge profit generator. Batteries does the same thing when applied to the energy sector.

My guess is he’s going to present his thoughts on Elon’s statement of re-inventing the way automobiles are made. Elon specifically said that would be discussed on battery day.

My guess is he’s going to present his thoughts on Elon’s statement of re-inventing the way automobiles are made. Elon specifically said that would be discussed on battery day.

Yeah, that makes sense with the Giga presses under the newly constructed tents on site. My personal thoughts are still it doesn't matter how fast and well you make cars if you do not have the batteries to put in them. That part of the puzzle is the foundation which I really hope we get better visibility on in battery day. Still once that battery base is in place, the go pedal is manufacturing to leverage that base. So Yeah.

If Models S&X are going from 18650 to 5498s, then how much redesign of the body is needed to accommodate the additional height of the pack? If I'm looking at this old tear-down properly, then the cells are oriented vertically. That means the pack could easily be almost an inch thicker/taller. Headroom is already right in Model S, does this drive the new body style as well?

ModelS Pack1.jpg

OMG. Remember the Martin Tripp case? Electrek’s got an update about it. Basically, Tripp’s motion for summary judgement blew up in his face. Tesla won on all legal points. Electrek (Fred Lambert) is going to bat for Tripp in his article and especially in the comment section. And Martin Tripp is also commenting, and digging himself into an even deeper legal hole. It’s a bit of a slow motion train wreck if you like that kind of thing.

Tesla gets partial win in Gigafactory 'saboteur' case, but it's not really a good look for the company - Electrek

OMG. Remember the Martin Tripp case? Electrek’s got an update about it. Basically, Tripp’s motion for summary judgement blew up in his face. Tesla won on all legal points. Electrek (Fred Lambert) is going to bat for Tripp in his article and especially in the comment section. And Martin Tripp is also commenting, and digging himself into an even deeper legal hole. It’s a bit of a slow motion train wreck if you like that kind of thing.

Tesla gets partial win in Gigafactory 'saboteur' case, but it's not really a good look for the company - Electrek

Why is it not a "good look"? I just don't like to support Fred so sort of tldr.

I'm looking to sell 25x Dec 18 c800, but will wait until early next week to get the best premium

I am planning (could change) to sell Sept 18th(done - before battery Day), Oct 2nd(before Delivery report), Oct 16th(before earnings) and then Dec against the same underlying. I think both IV and SP will be good till then. cheers!!

(+ For my Jan 20 Calls, CC are gonna get more aggressive and closer - 550 - 600 range)

Last edited:
I'm personally curious to see if the Cybertruck will have cast SS pieces. (Is that even practical? question for those here who are more experienced in metallurgy...)

Tesla is using a die cast for these aluminum sub-frames. Molten aluminum injected into a steel die much like the injection molding used for plastics. SS has too high of a melting temp to use a metallic mold and would need a more conventional sand mold.

Even though the Cybertruck body/frame is bent sheet SS, I don’t see why they couldn’t use aluminum sub-frames in the design.

Now Models S/X is interesting. Since they have to redesign the rear subframe for the twin-mtr layout, it makes sense to also simplify production techniques to die casting at the same time.

One additional consideration in favor of Model S/X getting a die cast rear subframe: Now that Model Y has the Gigapress in operation, Tesla will have available the smaller die casting machines initially used to created the Model Y "2 part" rear subframe.

Telsa's not one to let good tooling sit around unused... ;)

Cheers!

Why is it not a "good look"? I just don't like to support Fred so sort of tldr.

Fred is claiming that Tesla went over the top with litigation and that they fabricated the shooter story. It's his opinion and has no value whatsoever. My opinion is that Tripp was a willing, stupid pawn, entrapped by Linette Lopez - I think Tesa hoped they could go down the rabbit-hole with this and expose some of the corruption of some media outlets. Maybe they still will...

If Models S&X are going from 18650 to 5498s, then how much redesign of the body is needed to accommodate the additional height of the pack? If I'm looking at this old tear-down properly, then the cells are oriented vertically. That means the pack could easily be almost an inch thicker/taller. Headroom is already right in Model S, does this drive the new body style as well?

View attachment 589519

Who says they'll be packed vertically?

In my Fidelity account there is a note of "--Piedmont Lithium Shares Halted, News Pending"
It's almost midnight in Australia, so I doubt there will be news today. I'd expect something over the weekend or on Tuesday during Battery Day, like @Right_Said_Fred said. I'm not sure if they would keep a stock halted for 3 trading days.

No, pressing SS is not possible. It would break the press machines.

No, it wouldn’t break the presses. It would break the dies.

And technically you can ‘stamp’ (it’s not called ‘press/pressing’) stainless steel. The problem is that it wears dies out quickly (cutting edges) and can crack/break them - which wouldn’t be cost effective. It also has to be considered that Tesla is obviously using hard, thick stainless steal because body panels are advertised as 9mm bulletproof. If the stainless steel was comparatively softer and thinner, stamping panels would be more possible.