Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe Elon is front running what is now the highest voted question on SAY:

"If Tesla achieves its goal of massively increasing the world's battery production, do you envision supplying batteries to other companies? Or do you see Tesla needing everything it can produce for the foreseeable future?"

BTW as i mentioned this morning, i believe my question about battery materials will be the most relevant to a long term investor because it takes 5-7 years to bring majorly more supplies of battery materials online. Feel free to upvote it.

Say

Michael F.?

That's one of only two questions in the top 10 I've upvoted. Great question, thanks!

Tesla Battery Day — A Travel Diary, Day #1: Travelling In The Time Of Corona

September 21st, 2020 by Alex Voigt @avoigt (TMC)

"When a story decides to be written from me, there is no escape. To bring it to paper is a relief, like scratching itchy skin. You can try to postpone it a little bit, but that’s about all that you can negotiate. Today, it’s an itchy day again, and I predict there are some more days ahead."​

Wow, I hope he get's into battery day after all that.

Reactions: CatB
I mean...

I expected some new batteries for semi, Cybertruck, and Roadster...which I didn’t expect to be in serious production next year.

I was hoping we’d see an S option with plaid powertrain. A more thorough refresh would be cool. I was thinking like a “one last thing” could be a detailed refresh of the S with plaid.

I don’t see how Elon’s tweets would be traded against. I don’t see the scenarios gamblers were hoping for if they dumped on those tweets.

Battery day is like, “hey we’re number 1 and we plan to stay number 1”, not some magical night/day boost to everything. It’s perfect to roadmap the coming years - everybody else is still chasing 7 years ago. I’d just like a sexy plaid model S to consider buying lol.

I mean...

I expected some new batteries for semi, Cybertruck, and Roadster...which I didn’t expect to be in serious production next year.

I was hoping we’d see an S option with plaid powertrain. A more thorough refresh would be cool. I was thinking like a “one last thing” could be a detailed refresh of the S with plaid.

I don’t see how Elon’s tweets would be traded against. I don’t see the scenarios gamblers were hoping for if they dumped on those tweets.

Battery day is like, “hey we’re number 1 and we plan to stay number 1”, not some magical night/day boost to everything. It’s perfect to roadmap the coming years - everybody else is still chasing 7 years ago. I’d just like a sexy plaid model S to consider buying lol.

I can play the bear.

Tesla investing more into battery production from other companies goes to show that.

1. The Tesla batteries is probably not some magical breakthrough in chemistry or manufacturing or else why would you want to use outdated tech? ->this will be answered on battery day

2. S3XY will not be getting any range bumps because apparently they are still using cells from other companies so the competition can catch up. And by using batteries from other companies, the cost/kg is not going to dramatically shift down at the pack level for Tesla's highest volume producers meaning margins wouldn't go as high as we expected. ->also will be answered on battery day

However these are some short term concerns for prematurely "selling the news", if Tesla disappoints.

Ok so here is one mystery - what happens to GF1 cells long term?

If, as expected, the new cell & cell production tech unveiled tomorrow is both significantly cheaper and higher performance on key metrics, what use does Tesla have or the existing cells and cell production lines in GF1 produced by Panasonic once Tesla has enough capacity from its own cell production (say 2023)?

Why would Tesla continue to use a more expensive and less capable cell in any of its products at that point?

The only thing I can think of that they would be useful for is for providing battery packs to other auto OEMS, at least until Tesla has enough capacity to also serve that potential market from its own cell production.

At this point the only reason that Tesla continues using those GF1 cells long term is if Panasonic lowers the prices to match what Tesla can produce its own cells for, or because Tesla is contractually obliged long term to use them.

• Informative
Reactions: CorneliusXX
I can play the bear.

Tesla investing more into battery production from other companies goes to show that.

1. The Tesla batteries is probably not some magical breakthrough in chemistry or manufacturing or else why would you want to use outdated tech? ->this will be answered on battery day

2. S3XY will not be getting any range bumps because apparently they are still using cells from other companies so the competition can catch up. And by using batteries from other companies, the cost/kg is not going to dramatically shift down at the pack level for Tesla's highest volume producers meaning margins wouldn't go as high as we expected. ->also will be answered on battery day

However these are some short term concerns for "selling the news", if Tesla disappoints.

Tomorrow is definitely going to be a breakthrough in cost and capability. A simple reason to continue using other battery supplies is simply the fact that Tesla needs this supply in the short term (next 24 months) until it has its own battery cell production up to a level that it can supply itself.

Great suggestions, will do this weekend,
Love burnt ends , Woodford Reserve (and Templeton Rye).
Can’t go wrong with Woodford!
I’d recommend 2 fingers of Blanton’s though. Worth celebrating the shorts getting burned, IMHO. :)

DD5ACF8E-70DC-4319-9153-5E97E88A8F45.jpeg

Turn that frown upside down. Like I said, his tweet may have disappointed those who wanted a roadster tomorrow, but the part where all battery manufactures need to maximize production and still can't keep up? bullish AF.

a) dude makes me laugh because Saul Goodman’s cousin
b) dude us a-ok with me because cat
c) dude talked only cars - mistake; give me a T! give me an E! What does it spell? Tesla needs bajillions of batteries for freaking energy storage!!!!

I am pretty sure Kato Rd is more than a pilot production line. I can't find the old info but I think it said up to 400 employees and something like 30 truckloads in and out per day.

That could be enough for a redesigned S&X and some founders Roadsters and maybe more beta Semi's, but a drop in the bucket compared to 3 and Y cell demand.

Tomorrow is definitely going to be a breakthrough in cost and capability. A simple reason to continue using other battery supplies is simply the fact that Tesla needs this supply in the short term (next 24 months) until it has its own battery cell production up to a level that it can supply itself.
Per Elon's tweet, they will need battery suppliers well beyond 2022 (which is a very bullish thought).

Gonna be blowout growth and expansion for several more years. >50% annually.

The tweet was just for humanity own sake.
The technology presented tomorrow will be so advanced that people will start to gossip it is alien technology.
To prevent global panic of people searching for aliens worldwide, he made it clear they were only arriving in 2022 to deliver the new battery technology to be used by humankind, and to correct some panel gaps on the Great pyramid and update Stonehenge.

Yes, what I wrote was a speculation on why some people have sold. Weak longs or people expecting Alien manufacturing production line just left the building. It's almost unreasonable to think Kato Rd will somehow just replace all battery production by tomorrow. But there are people who are in it for those kind of upside surprises.