Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think our speculation has gotten way off track due to this tweet induced AH nut punch.

The Panasonic relationship issue was sorted out after the 1Q19 bottleneck fiasco. Knowing how Elon works, it's all good moving forward. He doesn't compromise in a way that keeps Tesla beholden to a partner, especially after that partner tried to leverage production to renegotiate.

I don't see any way on Earth the gf1 relationship with Panasonic is today a hindrance to Tesla's plans. We shall see.

Reactions: UkNorthampton
I can play the bear.

Tesla investing more into battery production from other companies goes to show that.

1. The Tesla batteries is probably not some magical breakthrough in chemistry or manufacturing or else why would you want to use outdated tech? ->this will be answered on battery day

2. S3XY will not be getting any range bumps because apparently they are still using cells from other companies so the competition can catch up. And by using batteries from other companies, the cost/kg is not going to dramatically shift down at the pack level for Tesla's highest volume producers meaning margins wouldn't go as high as we expected. ->also will be answered on battery day

However these are some short term concerns for prematurely "selling the news", if Tesla disappoints.

answer to 1 is pretty obv if you’re running a biz; same for 2. Same answer to both. To keep making profits in the meantime

I think our speculation has gotten way off track due to this tweet induced AH nut punch.

The Panasonic relationship issue was sorted out after the 1Q19 bottleneck fiasco. Knowing how Elon works, it's all good moving forward. He doesn't compromise in a way that keeps Tesla beholden to a partner, especially after that partner tried to leverage production to renegotiate.

I don't see any way on Earth the gf1 relationship with Panasonic is today a hindrance to Tesla's plans. We shall see.

I dont think Panasonic & GF1 are a hinderance to Tesla's plans - what I think is that they will soon be redundant within a few years. It's possible GF1 doesn't grow any bigger from here, unless all the lines get converted to "roadrunners" via some reorg of ownership.

Apparently wall street (Factset) are now expecting 144k deliveries for Q3. I guess they are all following @Troy and his estimates:

"According to a survey of analysts by FactSet, Wall Street expects Tesla to report vehicle deliveries of 144,000 for the quarter. The estimates range from 123,000 to 190,000."
190,000 I'm sorry what?

I don’t think "literally" means what you think it means.
They updated the definition of literally a few years back.
I'm being serious.

Dictionaries include definition of literally that isn't literal - CNN.

Maybe so people stop giving eachother annoying grammar lessons.
Screenshot_20200921-192720.png

I dont think Panasonic & GF1 are a hinderance to Tesla's plans - what I think is that they will soon be redundant within a few years. It's possible GF1 doesn't grow any bigger from here, unless all the lines get converted to "roadrunners" via some reorg of ownership.

They can always use 2170s for Powerwalls and Powerpacks.
Longer term most vehicle batteries will be made at or near the vehicle factory.
I read Elon's tweet was getting Model 3/Y buyers off the fence.
If / when Model 3/Y are made with Roadrunners, they don't necessarily have to be cheaper or better.
IMO the best path is steady slow improvement, and slow steady price drops.