Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe a bit OT, but the new Apple CPU M1 looks pretty damned awesome. 1/4 power for same performance as latest intel, 2x top performance, 5nm. Tesla should ditch AMD and get these for their next gen MCU.
I just ordered two to replace older versions. Next comes replacements/additions to Tesla products...

FWIW, both have produced quite adequate returns in investor perspective.:D:D:rolleyes:

I accidentally clicked on this from Mark Speigel. Talk about delusional.
There Is No China Growth Story For Tesla; Company Headed To Zero: Shortseller

5SUMEYWRVRCUHI5JR3DZJJLDVY.jpg

I don't think there's any negative connotation to selling covered calls. It's simple and very low risk (other than the risk of having long term shares being called away). Selling way-out-of-money covered calls has been a great way to create some income. It was MUCH MORE FAVORABLE before battery day, when time premiums were crazy high. Not nearly as compelling today, but still a good strategy depending on your individual situation.

Yeah, I've made good money on these over the years, used the proceeds to buy more shares.

But hell, on one hand I'm congratulating myself for moving into $215k cash yesterday, but had to sit on my hands not to rebuy at these cray prices. Fact is I need that money for the house and cannot risk it dropping further.

Yeah, I know, sell $350 puts, or something, buy you never know, do you, especially with this really, really weird election stand-off and the old 'rona ramping up.

I honestly thought the end of the election (especially with a Biden win) wouldn't be this boring. On that note, many of us are thinking about possible EV credits but I don't see much discussion about what might happen on the solar and battery side. If the Dems are serious about both climate and infrastructure, then a national push in those industries would make a lot of sense.

Dripping with bile!
Is that why his office is based around his toilet? Sounds practical.

This explains the range increase - not really surprising, but putting the pieces into place nicely:

Tesla confirms new 82 kWh battery pack in Model 3, thanks to new cells - Electrek

Something I think the "no demand" crowd will never understand: no matter how many vehicles Tesla sells in any given country, their innovation creates more demand.

I bought my Model 3 in early 2019, and now less than 2 years later I'm being tempted by the 2021 Model 3. The same kind of consumer that needs to have the latest iPhone every year needs to have the latest Tesla every 2-3 years.

What if the big whales are waiting to see if the new FSD Beta crashes? They might be unwilling to take the risk to plough new money because they are scared of an accident? Maybe that's why the volumes even after the elections are so low?

FSD beta can't "crash", only the driver can. And we know there will be car accidents regardless of whether humans are in charge or machines. So, what would they be waiting for? A human to crash? It happens all the time.

On the Austin Boring Co project.

Looking at the map, this seems like a great route.

Muller Market District? -> University of Texas -> Downtown Austin -> Austin Airport -> Tesla Terafactory

A route like this would be handy for workers commuting to the factory...

It would be interesting to know what is proposed, and where the project is currently at.

At $10 million per mile of tunnel, the infrastructure to support this would have an astronomically large cost.
Well, I’m not advocating for a “full-sized” subway tunnel. I was thinking more along the lines of a 6-12” diameter tunnel. More like horizontal drilling. They would drill and fill the tunnel simultaneously. Still probably too costly.

Something I think the "no demand" crowd will never understand: no matter how many vehicles Tesla sells in any given country, their innovation creates more demand.

I bought my Model 3 in early 2019, and now less than 2 years later I'm being tempted by the 2021 Model 3. The same kind of consumer that needs to have the latest iPhone every year needs to have the latest Tesla every 2-3 years.

Excellent point!

I used to be one who questioned the long term demand since Teslas are so low maintenance and the battery is good for at least hundreds of thousands of miles. When we bought our two Model 3s in 2018, I thought we were both done until our daughter starts driving in 2026, at which point, an 8 year old used Model 3 would be a perfect car for her. Two years later, we are sure we will soon be trading in one for a Model Y.

Well, I’m not advocating for a “full-sized” subway tunnel. I was thinking more along the lines of a 6-12” diameter tunnel. More like horizontal drilling. They would drill and fill the tunnel simultaneously. Still probably too costly.

I was thinking of modifying the existing Boring co tunnels so the HVDC runs in a secure duct under the floor of the tunnel.

So the tunnel is dual purpose, with perhaps a separate machine coming along after the Boring machine to dig a trench.

IMO the only issue is safety, as the cable is high voltage, it needs to be deep enough down to be safe....

For some reason running HVDC underground is possible, HVAC is problematic.

This solution is limited in scope to areas where you are building a Boring tunnel anyway. Small detours or extensions for the purposes of connecting electrical assets might be OK.

Even then there is a considerable cost in the length of the copper wire and the connectors at each end.

There is no way this proposal replaces the grid... Boring Co HVDC might supplement the grid in some areas.

Boring co running their own optical fiber is another possibility.

If Boring co doesn't want to run these services, others may pay them to do it, it all depends on how practical / economical dual purpose tunnels are.

Look on the bright side:

This is the market finally recognizing that TSLA really is a tech stock. :D

It's idiotic that 'Tech' is a category to begin with. It's way too broad to mean anything. Wall Street should just call the category 'Companies we're completely unqualified to be analyzing because we have no STEM background'.

I was thinking of modifying the existing Boring co tunnels so the HVDC runs in a secure duct under the floor of the tunnel.

So the tunnel is dual purpose, with perhaps a separate machine coming along after the Boring machine to dig a trench.

IMO the only issue is safety, as the cable is high voltage, it needs to be deep enough down to be safe....

For some reason running HVDC underground is possible, HVAC is problematic.

This solution is limited in scope to areas where you are building a Boring tunnel anyway. Small detours or extensions for the purposes of connecting electrical assets might be OK.

Even then there is a considerable cost in the length of the copper wire and the connectors at each end.

There is no way this proposal replaces the grid... Boring Co HVDC might supplement the grid in some areas.

Boring co running their own optical fiber is another possibility.

If Boring co doesn't want to run these services, others may pay them to do it, it all depends on how practical / economical dual purpose tunnels are.

The more Boring tunnels for power, water etc, the cheaper they will get (more dev, experience, financials, mass production). The better tunnel-making is, the more vehicle tunnels. The more vehicle tunnels, the more Teslas sold.

Boring/Tesla very complementary. Sum of the whole much bigger than sum of the parts.

With super-insulated/vacuum and chilled tunnels, low electric transmission losses/superconducting could lead to big deployments with resulting Boring company improvements, leading to further Tesla domination.

The more Boring tunnels for power, water etc, the cheaper they will get (more dev, experience, financials, mass production). The better tunnel-making is, the more vehicle tunnels. The more vehicle tunnels, the more Teslas sold.

Boring/Tesla very complementary. Sum of the whole much bigger than sum of the parts.

With super-insulated/vacuum and chilled tunnels, low electric transmission losses/superconducting could lead to big deployments with resulting Boring company improvements, leading to further Tesla domination.

I do think they will eventually develop Boring machines of all sizes to make tunnels of different diameters..

The tunnel machine for vehicles being the largest, right down to a 6-12” diameter tunnel is possible. I not sure if they hit a limti where smaller diameter tunnels can't work.. They need to be able to get the dirt out.

The smaller the diameter the cheaper the tunnel, launching smaller machines from a Boring Tunnel and running them parallel makes some sense.

But if it works, dual purpose is the cheapest option, no additional tunnel, is cheaper than a small tunnel.

IMO Boring Co eventually builds a factory to make Boring Machines, as well as paying for tunnels, others will buy the machines if they are given the option.

Yep, more tunnels definitely means more Teslas sold, in most cities there are traffic snarls on roads in and out of the city at particular times of the day or on certain days "soul destroying traffic. Bypassing all with a quick efficient journey is something people will pay for and they will need an EV.

Reactions: UkNorthampton
Yeah, I've made good money on these over the years, used the proceeds to buy more shares.

Still not getting it..

$500 calls this Friday stand at $0,13, so that's $13 per contract.. So you'd need 7 contracts or 700 shares as cover to gain about $90, against 700 shares' worth of about $290,000.. To make an 'interesting' profit of $1000/week you'd be around 7500 shares to cover 75 calls, worth $2,9m.., so on a year basis that's a gain of 0,5%.. Not that interesting, is it?

What am I missing?

Reactions: UncaNed