Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, fun fact -- i've now made about a million more dollars from Tesla stock since the last time my financial advisor begged me to sell it (September).

Not that any of us need to since we are either current or future Teslanaires, but I now realize that all of us could have a great career in being a financial advisor. We sure could do much better than the ones out there today.

Are you already approved for options and LVL 2 trading? If so just call up Schwab and they will walk you through what buttons to press.
If you are not set up, they will send you the additional forms over to get that set up.

I am set up with margin, and approved for Level3 options trading. ;-)

Just cant figure this out.. call options bought showing up as margin, the unsettled funds I used showing up as Margin Equity.. and so on. First time with a margin account. :-D. ref. screenshot.

Guess its time for a phone call to schwab. ;-)

Edit: I know, wrong thread. Wont happen again.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: lafrisbee
Barra is a genius. Imagine where Tesla would be at if she was CEO instead of Elon.
CNBC just told me, and I quote.....

"GM struggled in EV's, but is now absolutely killin it!"

That actually came out of someone's mouth at 1:04pm today 11/18. A paid analyst could be forgiven since they'd simply be lying, this was the anchor's sincere thought!

I am set up with margin, and approved for Level3 options trading. ;-)

Just cant figure this out.. call options bought showing up as margin, the unsettled funds I used showing up as Margin Equity.. and so on. First time with a margin account. :-D. ref. screenshot.

Guess its time for a phone call to schwab. ;-)

Take it easy. You're playing with fire. (Says the guy who had about 10 margin calls since Sept.)

That actually came out of someone's mouth at 1:04pm today 11/18. A paid analyst could be forgiven since they'd simply be lying, this was the anchor's sincere thought!

Must have meant it literally.

I like how Elon has learned to make a comment using just facts and quotes.

From Twitter:
Gary Black said:
S&P senior index analyst Howard Silverblatt was asked whether $TSLA CEO
@elonmusk
could weigh in on how S&P should add TSLA to the S&P 500 (one or two tranches, % each tranche). Silverblatt’s response: “If he wants to put in a comment, that's fine and dandy." Go for it, Elon.

Elon Musk said:
Wise words from Bogle. The point of companies is products & services. They have no point in & of themselves, nor do these indices. Buy & hold stock in companies where you love the product roadmap, sell where you don’t.
Bogle Sounds a Warning on Index Funds

Elon Musk said:
The only publicly traded stock I own is Tesla

Who said that? Seymour? as in Seymour Butts? :)

Not that any of us need to since we are either current or future Teslanaires, but I now realize that all of us could have a great career in being a financial advisor. We sure could do much better than the ones out there today.
No we are all terrible financial advisors. "In Elon We Trust" is not some kind of financial advice I would expect from a professional. It's easy to look back today and think we were all geniuses but there were some real crazy blind faith risks over most of Tesla's entire business model people here took on. Lets not forget there was a time Tesla looked to be not investable grade even for someone like me. When Elon's team couldn't ramp the Model 3 and then said something along the line of "we don't know what we are doing since we never done it before"..I was sure not in a hurry to put my money into this company. Only when they actually ramp the Model 3 to 3-4k/week did it give me the confidence while no demand FUD helped me buy in at 5 year lows.

It took 5 years for Tesla to break out. Most people I know who doesn't have a lot of FU money sitting around would not have the patience for those 5 years of crazy volatility with barely any returns.

Last edited:
Wonder if Geico can help Tesla with their insurance to go national, IF Berkshire owns some Tesla now. :)
Who knows , Berkshire might now be the ultimate Tesla insurance underwriter...
"State National, a subsidiary of Markel, will be insurer of record for the Tesla insurance policies, underwriting the risk and setting prices. While Tesla currently only has regulatory approval to act as a broker in California, State National is licensed to sell insurance in all 50 US states.
State National is a speciality property-casualty insurer rather than a car insurer. It will reinsure all of the risk it takes on in the Tesla partnership, as it does with most of the risks it assumes, according to Markel. State National is, in effect, taking a servicing and underwriting fee while passing claims risk on to the reinsurers. The company has not disclosed which underwriters have bought the Tesla policy risks."

Hey - how do you sell so many puts? Do you really have free cash at hand to buy 3000 shares at $420? (1.26 million USD)
That's kinda bearish? I am all in - no spare cash at all. :)

I am trying to figure out how to sell puts on margin at Schwab, with my stock as security.. guess I will have to call and see if its possible at all?
You should get IB. They calculate that automatically for you. Cash becomes part of the margin calculation. Stock margin % gets adjusted all the time so it is best to use their number.

Understanding Margin Webinar Notes | Interactive Brokers

Also, I know another guy from Drammen and you guys have similar style in investing. You two probably know each other.

I second the IB recommendation. I’ve been selling TSLA Puts since July and now I’m in the process of moving from Schwab to Interactive Brokers for the better margin rates, and easier access to portfolio margin, and Schwab currently has a special margin maintenance requirement of 65% on TSLA because of its volatility, which gives you much less margin when you use TSLA shares as the equity security. I believe my LEAPs aren’t marginable securities, which they might be with IB and I’ve been margin called way too many times in the past 3 months because of this :)

You should get IB. They calculate that automatically for you. Cash becomes part of the margin calculation. Stock margin % gets adjusted all the time so it is best to use their number.

• Informative
Reactions: capster and Runarbt
No we are all terrible financial advisors. "In Elon We Trust" is not some kind of financial advice I would expect from a professional. It's easy to look back today and think we were all geniuses but there were some real crazy blind faith risks over most of Tesla's entire business model people here took on. It took 5 years for Tesla to break out. Most people I know who doesn't have a lot of FU money sitting around would not have the patience for those 5 years of crazy volatility with barely any returns.
That's why Time in market > Timing the market...I only started investing in Tesla in 2017....but there sure were times where i questioned myself on why i kept buying $TSLA....and then it got to the point where i thought to myself "Why would i buy anything else?" :)

No we are all terrible financial advisors. "In Elon We Trust" is not some kind of financial advice I would expect from a professional. It's easy to look back today and think we were all geniuses but there were some real crazy blind faith risks over most of Tesla's entire business model people here took on. It took 5 years for Tesla to break out. Most people I know who doesn't have a lot of FU money sitting around would not have the patience for those 5 years of crazy volatility with barely any returns.
Also no financial advisor would ever advise to only invest in 1 company.