Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you need to have any cash at hand at all, or it is enough to stay well within your allowed margin?
You don't need cash. But again, you have to be very careful. Because if you only own TSLA, as TSLA drops, not only will your margin go down, but the margin requirement will go way up. I nearly lost everything a couple years ago in that exact scenario. I am not selling any PUTS after Dec 21 in case the SP drops hard after inclusion. If you do get a margin call, you can call the broker and buy deep in the money Puts cheaply that will expire worthless to make the margin call go away (I learned that too).

On a day the share price is increasing nicely and we're all feeling pretty chuffed about it, if you disapprove of posts mentioning the price action, then maybe this isn't the place for you.
I disagree. It's fine to mention the current stock price if you add some value or insight with your post. If not, don't clutter the general thread please. Too many posts to get through as it is.

they now backup all Calls up to $440. SO THEY really do not care about that $410 number anymore.
How about $480? Do they still care about $480? :D
sc.TSLA.10-DayChart.2020-11-18.12-15.png

Cheers!

Before COVID, the conclusion from the calculus I made is that cash flow is more important than growth. As you can just redeploy the extra cash back into investment if you can't find any better way to use it.

However, COVID and the eventual money printing changed that whole equation. Now it is 200% in growth assets. The thing about this inflation bubble is that there is going to be a lag between the inflation of financial asset and real assets. So you want to take advantage of this transitional time and get into financial assets to grow. Then in 1 or 2 years time when inflation starts to arrives in real assets you use the financial assets to buy real assets.
Man that sounds BRILLIANT! But it's like you're the Banker and I am the 10 yr old that is putting his 50 cents in every other week so he can have $15 for his Christmas Fund.
"I haven't got a clue how you do that." and what's more I couldn't keep my attention focused on you long enough for you to explain because in my mind I can't do something that diabolical.
But good for you!

Hey - how do you sell so many puts? Do you really have free cash at hand to buy 3000 shares at $420? (1.26 million USD)
That's kinda bearish? I am all in - no spare cash at all. :)

I am trying to figure out how to sell puts on margin at Schwab, with my stock as security.. guess I will have to call and see if its possible at all?
You can't use stock as security to sell puts, except to the extent that the stock (any stock) justifies the cash available from your account or margin loan. Your only security is the ability to buy the stock if the put is exercised.

You should get IB. They calculate that automatically for you. Cash becomes part of the margin calculation. Stock margin % gets adjusted all the time so it is best to use their number.

Maybe I misunderstand. But you say that as if you think his current broker (Schwab) doesn't already do exactly that (keep a running balance of your remaining buying power).

Well they are still reasonably priced...

Edit: Just converted some TSLA into 6 x Mar 19 '21 $700s. Target: 300% :cool:
Does anyone here think this was a bad idea??

Asking for an impulsive friend who copied @gabeincal , thank you for your observations in advance.

Edit - And much thanks, @gabeincal , for the idea, which was just the little nudge I needed.

Last edited:
Man that sounds BRILLIANT! But it's like you're the Banker and I am the 10 yr old that is putting his 50 cents in every other week so he can have $15 for his Christmas Fund.
"I haven't got a clue how you do that." and what's more I couldn't keep my attention focused on you long enough for you to explain because in my mind I can't do something that diabolical.
But good for you!
@Causalien, I would like to hear more about your suggestion. Like @lafrisbee, I might need some more specifics on how to accomplish this, but I am definitely listening!

Reactions: Drumheller