Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Like many, TSLA has now become the dominant part of my portfolio.

The sensible part of me says “you need to diversify!”

The other sensible part of me says “don’t be stupid, TSLA is once on lifetime opportunity, don’t you dare sell a share”

How are people dealing with these two reasonable points of view arguing in one’s head?

I only see one sensible part here. :) The one talking "diversify-mumbo jumbo" can be ignored.

(I have no love for "diversify" talk)

My hedgie friend still think it's all hype. That it' impossible for good fund managers, let along normal ppl to beat yhe market. Goes to show that even professionals have no clue and ppl's job don't dictate if they give good advice. But if anyone were to stop me on the street and ask me about financial advice. I'd point them to these professionals.

Because you hate all strangers? :confused:

***OMG*** i can't believe the coincidence. This is just Twilight Zone territory. Just literally 10 mins ago, my spouse and I concluded our long talk and then celebrated the fact that we also both decided to retire early. Just need to give our 2 weeks' notice tomorrow. We worked to death the Government of Canada Retirement Calculator (and other bank calculators) and it repeatedly confirmed what we already know from our spreadsheets: TSLA has made our early retirement possible. We cashed out of all our real estate/mutual funds/ETFs/etc and dumped every single thing into TSLA early last year and way before the 700%+ runup. I would have never guessed this day has arrived. We are so happy like you wouldn't believe it.

THIS FORUM IS THE REASON WE ARE IN THIS FANTASTIC SITUATION
. I'll repeat that. THIS FORUM IS THE REASON WE ARE IN THIS FANTASTIC SITUATION. (If you are new in this forum, do NOT believe everything you read in the news/Twitter/Reddit/etc. Seek clarity with the members here. Get the real facts HERE.)

Most of all, we love your non-stop pleadings to HODL and to never give up when the MM's were at their worst. There were certainly many, many depressing days like that where the SP was going nowhere. Thank you so much for all your advices and amazing insights into clearing up the FUDs. We wish you all the best this season and in the many years to come. Don't know what to do yet at retirement, but top of the list is giving, especially to family and friends, like you also said.

Special ***THANK YOU*** to TMC members here who are unwavering and steadfast in sharing information and life experiences - you know who you are. You are the pillars in this forum. Even during times where members are bickering towards each other, we learned to filter and pick up info gems and gold nuggets here and there.

Thank you so much again sincerely, TMC.

Okay, so that's two posting the same wonderful news story, but, please, help me understand this.

Explain this as if I'm a six-year old: What do you do about cash flow since TSLA pays no dividends?

Are the "retire early" folks here just selling to create a bucket of money and then hoping it lasts before they kick the bucket?

Thanks!

I have some other investments that have shrunk to less than 5% of my portfolio over the years.
I have permanently parted ways with financial advisors and their diversification and fear tactics.

IMHO Tesla is the safest and best investment in the future for at least the next 20 years.
Diversifying will only dilute your returns while giving you a false sense of security.

You are here on the TMC Investor Forum.
You are way ahead of the game in your knowledge base.
Tesla is the most diversified group of disruptive companies you can invest in here and now.

Of course, if you need the cash and want to sell some of your golden tickets (aka shares) to another investor then that is a different story...

Otherwise my advice and signature say it all...
I can definitely recommend the stocks suggested on this thread:
What other tech stock to consider?
Plus of course the Dave Lee youtube channel. Dave is looking for 10x stocks and is conservative.

Having skin in the game in non-TSLA stock is healthy and informative.

Okay, so that's two posting the same wonderful news story, but, please, help me understand this.

Explain this as if I'm a six-year old: What do you do about cash flow since TSLA pays no dividends?

Are the "retire early" folks here just selling to create a bucket of money and then hoping it lasts before they kick the bucket?

Thanks!

Sell Covered Calls way OTM, or margin covered OTM Puts. (aka The Wheel)

I'll tell you what made up my mind real quick.

I've got 3 kids each with edu accounts which I've added 2000 a year to every year (except one year I missed). My oldest is 8 years older than my youngest. When he turned 18 I decided I should diversify his account into stable, mostly dividend paying assets. After doing so, it took my daughters account (8 years behind) about two months to catch up to his account. When I saw that, I said "**** it, I'm going all in on TSLA".

Can you tell me what edu account you are using. I have the one in California, but think I can only buy their lamo mutual fund or something (my wife is spearheading this, so I'm not as familiar with it).

fair questions.

The short answer is to come up with a plan before you make the jump and retire.
  1. Figure out how much you'll be able to withdraw penalty-free (or what those penalties are) from your retirement accounts. Look into things such as the Roth Conversion Ladder, find out if any of the penalty exemptions apply to you, etc. Talk to someone who is a professional and REALLY knows the rules.
  2. Figure out what your expenses will be, particularly without an employer to pay your health care and other benefits.
  3. Figure out what kind of lifestyle you want to lead in retirement, and how it will differ from working life.
  4. Determine what return you expect from your remaining investments -- calculating this is kind of controversial and speculative. Research the 4% rule for one rule of thumb, but it is only that.
  5. Do the math to figure out if 1 & 4 can support 2 & 3 for however many years you're planning to stick around.
  6. Act on the plan -- make whatever investment adjustments are necessary, thank your former employer, and start looking for picturesque water-borne real estate deals (or whatever).
Unless you were already quite wealthy prior to owning Tesla stock, obviously this is going to require selling some in order to live. How much depends on all the factors above, as well as how well you did with Tesla. I wouldn't call it "creating a bucket of money and hoping it lasts" but I guess that's the general gist.

Claim chowdhry looks like a genius compared to Gordo :)

2 years ago for reference:

Funny, many people rip the piss out of Trippin' Trip for so many years, but when you re-watch this video, he's talking about things that many analysts are only now beginning to pick up on.

Note that Gordo was talking over people already back then, his arguments were the same as today (competition is coming), and finally, despite his very poor analysis skills, he seems still to be able to put food on the table, lots of it over the last couple of years...

Last edited:
Can you tell me what edu account you are using. I have the one in California, but think I can only buy their lamo mutual fund or something (my wife is spearheading this, so I'm not as familiar with it).
Education Savings IRA through Charles Schwab. It's essentially a Roth for education and you can invest in anything that's available through Schwab. I think you can do options but don't hold me to that because I've never tried. If funds don't get used for education they can be passed on indefinitely to younger siblings or grandchildren. You can also add more than 2k per year. That was the limit when I started and I just stuck with that yearly amount for all my kids.

Thanks!
Discussed here:
Early retirement strategies

Can we please stop with OT discussion of retirement and taxes here!!!!

There are threads specifically established for these topics.

1. Not everyone here is ready for retirement.
2. And even though it might not be apparent to some here: there are enough non-US people on this board who just couldn't care less about your personal US tax situation.

thanks. rant over.

If self-driving comes to life there might still be a pretty good jump.

Realistically I do not see this happening from a legal standpoint for another 5-10 years. We will get there but it will be slow.

I do expect FSD take rate to pick up in 2Q/3Q as FSD continues to improve. This will obviously help the top and bottom line. Or whenever the subscription model is introduced.