Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am planning to invest in Bitcoin (through GBTC) to get to 5% of my total net worth. I was doing well buying in small increments when BTC was $9-11K but then it spiked and I figured I’d wait for a pullback to keep building. Oops.

Now I think that since it’s passed the ATH from 2-3 years ago and has become more mainstream and recommended as a hedge by many smart analysts (ARK and Chamath for example) it will likely just keep running up. I bought a bunch more on the dip last week but still am only at 0.5%. I figure I’ll keep trying to buy as it goes up to $30K to reach my goal and if there is a pullback I’ll speed up my buying. I’m expecting it to pass $100K in the next 1-2 years.

I am planning to invest in Bitcoin (through GBTC) to get to 5% of my total net worth. I was doing well buying in small increments when BTC was $9-11K but then it spiked and I figured I’d wait for a pullback to keep building. Oops.

Now I think that since it’s passed the ATH from 2-3 years ago and has become more mainstream and recommended as a hedge by many smart analysts (ARK and Chamath for example) it will likely just keep running up. I bought a bunch more on the dip last week but still am only at 0.5%. I figure I’ll keep trying to buy as it goes up to $30K to reach my goal and if there is a pullback I’ll speed up my buying. I’m expecting it to pass $100K in the next 1-2 years.

What are some some other vehicles for investing in Bitcoin? How is investing in GBTC compared to buying BTC?

I have been doing my research and the hype is unreal. This whole supply is fixed concept of bitcoin is fascinating.

I recommend buying bitcoin on BlockFi. You get 6% interest on your Bitcoin. It's like a super savings account hahaha. BlockFi is a company backed by investors such as Coinbase, Fidelity, and the Winklevoss twins. Feel free to PM me for a referral code and get free btc as well ;)

Seriously though, name me an investment that can 50x over the course of this decade with 6%+ dividends? The asymmetric return on bitcoin is insane.

We don't know how much supply of gold is in the world. We know EXACTLY how much bitcoin there will EVER BE in the world. It's the ultimate deflationary asset / store of value.

Recommend everyone listen to BlockFi's CEO here - Animal Spirits Podcast: Talk Your Book: Investing in Bitcoin

And recommend everyone watch this Youtube video with HyperChange -

• Informative
Reactions: pz1975
Does anyone else feel like the current market smacks of the dot com bubble?

I saw a video a couple months ago where Cathie Wood addressed this. She said something to the effect of this time it's different because in the late nineties the technologies were a dream, now they are a reality. I believe that's true to an extent, for a few companies like Tesla. However, other companies like Quantumscape, are wildly over valued in my eyes. Which is more predominant, companies like Tesla that deserve their valuation or companies that have been carried by irrational exuberance? What's going to happen to the market as a whole, or to Tesla (the largest holding for all of us), when rationality returns?
Sounds like a good question for the main investment thread.

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the 2019-2020 Investors' Roundtable

I recommend buying bitcoin on BlockFi. You get 6% interest on your Bitcoin. It's like a super savings account hahaha. BlockFi is a company backed by investors such as Coinbase, Fidelity, and the Winklevoss twins. Feel free to PM me for a referral code and get free btc as well ;)

Seriously though, name me an investment that can 50x over the course of this decade with 6%+ dividends? The asymmetric return on bitcoin is insane.

We don't know how much supply of gold is in the world. We know EXACTLY how much bitcoin there will EVER BE in the world. It's the ultimate deflationary asset / store of value.

Recommend everyone listen to BlockFi's CEO here - Animal Spirits Podcast: Talk Your Book: Investing in Bitcoin

Can you explain BlockFi a little more. How do they make money? Sounds too good to be true.

Can you explain BlockFi a little more. How do they make money? Sounds too good to be true.

1) I highly, highly recommend listening to the podcast. It answers all your questions.

2) They lend out your crypto (and stablecoins) to a variety of counterparties. For example, bitcoin short sellers is a pretty straightforward one. They return most of the spread to its users. Another example is crypto entities that can't get loans from US banks, leaving BlockFi to step in and fill the gap with USDC (a dollar stablecoin). Because of this, BlockFi can charge a very high interest rate, which they give back to users. Another example, institutions that hold Bitcoin with Fidelity get loans through Blockfi. And so forth.

3) Loans on BlockFi are over-collateralized. So to borrow $10,000 you need to have $20,000 of liquid assets. 0% delinquency rate. See this CNBC interview here -

I'm telling ya, the level of disconnect in information and awareness around crypto is very similar to what we all saw in electric vehicles even as late as 2019. And the same lack of imagination for what crypto can transform in our lives is similar to people who dismiss SpaceX 20-year potential because "the TAM is too small." The TAM for crypto is literally sovereign debt.

Reactions: Dig deeper
What are some some other vehicles for investing in Bitcoin? How is investing in GBTC compared to buying BTC?

I have been doing my research and the hype is unreal. This whole supply is fixed concept of bitcoin is fascinating.
GBTC is like buying a stock - you just buy and sell from a brokerage account. It is very easy; no different than buying TSLA shares. I found the complexity and risk of buying actual BTC for the $ amounts I am considering to be too much for me. I am computer and tech savvy but I could never find an easy, fast and straightforward way to simply buy BTC.

It always seems complex - buy a digital wallet, wire $ to a third party crypto exchange (separate from your wallet), buy BTC on the exchange when your $ arrives, then transfer BTC back to your wallet. Then if you want the withdraw the $, all those steps are reversed. Most exchanges had high transfer fees and maximum deposits and withdrawal amounts. And then I don't like the idea of my investment sitting on a hard drive/USB with a password that could be lost or being held by an unknown host.

I understand GBTC has its own risks and limitations, but it currently holds $4 billion+ of investment money and is predicted to own over 3% of all BTC sometimes soon. Also, Chamath Palihapitiya (who I follow and trust) mentioned that he uses (or maybe would use) GBTC to invest in BTC.

Thanks for the info and link - I took a look at it is still the same problems for me taht I mention in the post above. I still would need to go through the long, convoluted process to buy BTC through them that I don't want to do. Also, their interest rate for BTC drops to 3.2% or so after 2.5 BTC, which is still fine, but again, not worth the hassle and long process for me.

• Informative
Reactions: Buckminster
Yep, been buying up GBTC to have at least 5% of the portfolio, which with TSLA going up and up and up meant buy and buy and buy. But I also was buying GLD for maybe 2-3% holding. Which went nowhere. I also made a determination a few months ago to keep some sane % of real estate (mostly non-commercial) exposure, for which STWD has been pretty good so far and it throws off crazy almost 10% dividend.

Thanks for the info and link - I took a look at it is still the same problems for me taht I mention in the post above. I still would need to go through the long, convoluted process to buy BTC through them that I don't want to do. Also, their interest rate for BTC drops to 3.2% or so after 2.5 BTC, which is still fine, but again, not worth the hassle and long process for me.

?

I don't get the complexity here.

1) Sign up for BlockFi account. It's a little annoying that it requires you to show your passport, but I like that because it makes it more difficult for hackers to get in and easier to get access to your funds when you need it.

2) Wire money from a checking account or whatever to your BlockFi. Again, it's not that hard you just need to know your routing number.

3) Once the money is on your BlockFi account, buy bitcoin. Same with any brokerage and buying a stock.

If anyone's having problems with Coinbase/BlockFi/whatever service, PM me. I'll zoom call you through it hahaha. There definitely should be a short, friendly Youtube video for these services because it seems so intimidating when you first hear about KYC, digital wallets, all that jazz. Honestly, it's a reason I never did Apple Pay until I got an Apple Watch this year. It seemed theoretically difficult lol.

2.5 bitcoin in 10 years might be...a 7 digit figure position lol.

FYI I hold GBTC in my IRA. GBTC is a pretty fantastic option there. Since Tesla is the "safe" portion of my portfolio (My S&P500 basically), Bitcoin is my main bet for investment appreciation over the coming year or two.

Reactions: kevchan and dakh
They sold off their manufacturing plants.
They delayed US st 3 trials twice
They were on the verge of delisting
US population approaching 6% that have had it, more likely had but not tested
My quick net search suggests they might vaccinate 13% population per month with moderna and Pfizer
3-4 months vaccines along with case counts= herd immunity

If NOVAX (symbol NVAX) had a vaccine, company leadership would not have been dumping the stock.

So NOVAX (actually, no vaccine ever) has finally announced stage 3 trial in US for their vaccine for Covid. Stage 3 is where results normally fall apart for them (RSV, Bird flu, I think others). If data for stage 2 worked, wouldn't the leaders have held on, perhaps even kept quiet and bought more? Is todays bearish action a sell the news kind of thing? is the US feeling hope in the midst of ever broadcast pandemic? Symbol NVAX, you can guess what side of the trade I am on. My motives are not pure, bashing them as I have.

1) I highly, highly recommend listening to the podcast. It answers all your questions.

2) They lend out your crypto (and stablecoins) to a variety of counterparties. For example, bitcoin short sellers is a pretty straightforward one. They return most of the spread to its users. Another example is crypto entities that can't get loans from US banks, leaving BlockFi to step in and fill the gap with USDC (a dollar stablecoin). Because of this, BlockFi can charge a very high interest rate, which they give back to users. Another example, institutions that hold Bitcoin with Fidelity get loans through Blockfi. And so forth.

3) Loans on BlockFi are over-collateralized. So to borrow $10,000 you need to have $20,000 of liquid assets. 0% delinquency rate. See this CNBC interview here -

I'm telling ya, the level of disconnect in information and awareness around crypto is very similar to what we all saw in electric vehicles even as late as 2019. And the same lack of imagination for what crypto can transform in our lives is similar to people who dismiss SpaceX 20-year potential because "the TAM is too small." The TAM for crypto is literally sovereign debt.

I now have reached $100k in bitcoin value from small purchases in 2014 and I feel stupid because I was still missing out on a 6% per annum additional appreciation?!

ABML up 20% this morning.
Stonks only go up ;) haha

But this is what happens when you have someone trying to put on a large position on a small company... It's been trading a lot of shares, but the dollar-value of the shares exchanged is not that much... Just about $20m traded a day. Good luck to anyone who wants to put on a sizable position ($5M+) without moving the price.

Reactions: JRP3 and Xepa777