Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm turning into Buffet - The richer I get, the cheaper I get... I don't want to see my account value go down for anything. I said I would buy a Roadster when I hit a much lower target than I'm at now, but I just can't pull the trigger! :confused:

I never get the Buffet kind of mindset. The richer I get, the more I spent. Reasoning being that my time is better saved to pursue what I am going after right now.

Then I have another extreme. Too lazy to actually go through with the act of buying. I want to just pay someone to do the buying for me, but haven't actually converted enough asset to cash flow yet to afford that. So there's this weird combination of top of the line stuff and things very worn down and almost broken in my possession

Even though today is a Thursday, it is a weekly options expiration day because of the holiday tomorrow. Big call option writers (mainly hedge funds and market makers) may want to protect some of their positions by attempting to push the TSLA share price downward into today's close. They can cover any shorts on Monday, but the options expire today. They would likely prefer a close at $700, although $710 may be more reasonable. However, they'll have to fight the money managers performing end-of-year window dressing.

Last edited:
Second largest tech tuber reviews the Model Y. This is how FUD have consequences. This was not a positive review IMO. Bit of a mix bag plus a huge rant about why Tesla sucks by bringing up FUD.

I agree. Way too much FUD in that review.

He says he didn’t buy a Tesla because he doesn’t support how Tesla does some things. But yet he’s okay with Chevy and others with what they do? Give me a break.

A LEAPS question to all.

Yesterday my Ameritrade account was showing 2023 Mar17 leaps to be 130$ bid but open interest was 0 for all the available OTM calls. Today it is up by 20$ and the open interest numbers is a lot.

What happened? Did a bunch of people wrote calls overnight?

These are soooooo expensive. The ITM ones are even way more expensive. Who buys at these crazy prices? What logic do you use to calculate if buying leaps is cheaper vs stocks?

Even though today is a Thursday, it is a weekly options expiration day because of the holiday tomorrow. Big call option writers (mainly hedge funds and market makers) may want to protect some of their positions by attempting to push the TSLA share price downward into today's close. They can cover any shorts on Monday, but the options expire today. They would likely prefer a close at $700, although $710 may be more reasonable. However, they'll have to fight the money managers performing end-of-year window dressing.
Settling nicely onto UBB, between $700 & $710. There's your answer.

yeah. significant pattern change back to 707-708 now

wonder if we’ll get back up to 715 or more like we did earlier

edit: even worse. looks like it’s trying to take away all of today’s gains at this point. would be nice to rally back up a bit to be convincingly into the 700s for year end

Last edited:
I agree. Way too much FUD in that review.

He says he didn’t buy a Tesla because he doesn’t support how Tesla does some things. But yet he’s okay with Chevy and others with what they do? Give me a break.
Well the media hides what GM does and amplifies every little thing what Tesla does...and they amplify everything with a negative slant which makes Musk seem like a defensive prick. There are many people out there who thinks Musk skews more closer to Trump as his personality.

• Funny
Reactions: StealthP3D
I am not sure that all the benchmark funds are in yet, either. Yes, the MMs are pushing hard to get back down to $700, but may not succeed. There's still a closing cross too.

:D
1CB006F9-F089-4016-A392-9562B3314E75.jpeg

Happy New Year to all! Thank you for your knowledge and participation! See you all in 2021! :D

A LEAPS question to all.

Yesterday my Ameritrade account was showing 2023 Mar17 leaps to be 130$ bid but open interest was 0 for all the available OTM calls. Today it is up by 20$ and the open interest numbers is a lot.

What happened? Did a bunch of people wrote calls overnight?

These are soooooo expensive. The ITM ones are even way more expensive. Who buys at these crazy prices? What logic do you use to calculate if buying leaps is cheaper vs stocks?

Retail investor here, but I did, but only to manage positions, -- against Sold Jan 23's from a while back. Closed most of the Jan 23's, but decided to shadow 4 of them with 5 March Calls. Different strikes, but roughly same Delta - but with march 23 having more leverage. cheers!!

Reactions: UncaNed
These Stocks Will Win No Matter Who Wins the EV Race

Motley Fool continues to demonstrate that they just don't get Tesla. Here's an article that claims to pick wins no matter who wins the EV race.

They begin with the unsupported assertion that EV stocks are overvalued "anyway you look at it." Apparently they are ignorant of Tesla bull theses.

So if they are not recommending Tesla as a way to play the EV race, what do they recommend? NextEra Energy, a power producer with renewable assets; Switchback Energy, which is a SPAC for CargePoint; and a biomethane producer I've never heard of. Allegedly these three are winners no matter who dominates the EV market. But is that true specifically if Tesla were to overwhelmingly dominate.

NextEra has done a good job pivoting to wind, solar and battery generation. But does this position them to enjoy growth it Tesla brings more EVs to market? No. What Motley Fool overlooks is that Tesla Energy produces more power than what Tesla and its EVs produce. Tesla Energy is first in line to benefit from power demand growth from EVs it brings to market. Tesla Energy is a direct competitor to NextEra. So it is not at all certain that NextEra wins no matter who wins the EV race.

ChargePoint may have a valid subscription-based business model. But it is in direct competition with Tesla Superchargers. The vast majority of Tesla owners will not need a subscription to ChargePoint. The greater share Tesla has of the EV market, the less residual demand there is for ChargePoint. So again, ChargePoint is not a winner "no matter who wins the EV race."

Finally, the assertion behind biomethane is that heavy duty commercial vehicles can't all run on batteries so their must be an EV angle for biomethane producers, "no matter who wins the EV race." This is wrong on so many levels, not the least of which is a bloated natural gas industry outbidding each other for the same crumbs of decline demand. But specifically if Tesla wins with the Semi, the who CNG vehicle investment thesis falls apart.

To recap, if Tesla wins the EV race, the future is uncertain for these three alternative investments. Specifically, Tesla competes directly with each of them if you appreciate the full scope of where Musk is leading Tesla. It is curious that Motley Fool (and others) are so eager to find alternatives to investing in Tesla that they miss out on the full scope of investing in Tesla.

It's simple: if you really want to invest in EVs, start with Tesla. Take the time to appreciate all the ways Tesla will extract value from every segment of the EV value chain. Then consider residual opportunities for other companies to participate in the new ecosystem.

Agreed. The only reason I have a Chargepoint account is because I travel frequently and they often have free Level 2 chargers I use when I'm stationary or not in a hurry. Otherwise I only use Tesla's SCs. It cost $10 to start the account.

It definitely was a great year for Tesla investors.
I wish to thank everybody here for the sharing of all your knowledge and wit.
Tonight I will drink from this special bottle with gratitude for this and will toast to the health of you all.
Have a lovely evening and to reading in this thread with pleasure next year.
Stay safe and healthy!

View attachment 622908
Agreed, no two buck chuck tonight,
Thank you Mr. Musk...
IMG_0818.jpg