Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I highly doubt that they would replace 254,000 vehicles in one year. I would suspect it would be a 10 year transition
No one, no company, leases a car for 10 years, by far most are three to four duration leases, a few five year leases. Expect to transition from ICE to EV over four to five years, maximum.

Tesla investment reaps $29bn profit for Edinburgh fund manager | Scottish Mortgage Investment Trust | The Guardian

The Guardians usually anti Elon so this article makes a nice change.

Anderson, who first made the decision to invest in Tesla in 2013, said if the fund had not acted to sell some of Tesla shares, the stock would have accounted for more than a third of the whole fund. Tesla is still Scottish Mortgage’s largest holding at 8.9% of total assets.

Explaining why he first bought Tesla, at a time when many experienced investors thought it was hugely overvalued at $6 a share, Anderson said: “To us it was, frankly, clear even back half a dozen years that the underlying technologies from batteries, to solar to eventually self-driving were progressing and would continue to do so.

“We thought (and simply observed) that Tesla was already past the technological and practical challenges to a good degree and that execution and finance were the practical issues. What we needed was time. Not many investors can have that luxury and necessity.”

Anderson said he believes the electric car revolution could only have been started by a maverick outsider such as Musk, and said he deserves the record-breaking $55.8bn bonus he is on track to collect.

“Let’s be clear that we thought this could only be done by a visionary from outside the traditional industry,” Anderson said. “We’re usually sceptics of management rewards but Elon deserves it. So, more recently, does his burgeoning team.

No one, no company, leases a car for 10 years, by far most are three to four duration leases, a few five year leases. Expect to transition from ICE to EV over four to five years, maximum.

I think, as a side-effect, the government will be able to keep their EVs active longer, reduce maintenance requirements (obv) and get more for them when retiring them. Win Win Win.

It really doesnt matter if the government just buys 645,000 EVs from Chevy and Ford. That means 645,000 government employees drive an EV all day. What car do you think they are going to buy for their own use once they get used to an EV?
After putting up with the crappy government EV's built by Boeing, Northrop Grumman and/or other defense contractors with slow charging and that drive like an electric AMC Rebel, they'll buy ICE vehicles. (just speculation on how this might go)

Last edited:
Reactions: saniflash and MikeC
Hold up here.. he could be talking about Chevy Bolts......

/s.

The sad part is, this might be true. Remember Biden’s “Buy American” rally. There were pickups from the “Big 3” behind him as well as a Chevy Bolt. Not a single Tesla.....

Is everything about federal cars decided by the government - or can individual drivers or counties or states pick their own preferred cars?

Reactions: ThisStockGood
Is everything about federal cars decided by the government - or can individual drivers or counties or states pick their own preferred cars?
The federal government orders fleets, central procurements. States and municipalities buy their own fleets or make other arrangements for vehicles, separate from the federal government.

I'm hoping the City of Fremont's decision to try Model Y police cars will be a success and that news will spread to other municipalities who might procure them in increasing numbers.

Pretty quiet in here for a 3% up day in an earnings week. Is everyone just rich now or are you secret WSB posters?

Checking in... going very well here. Bought many shares past weeks (all corrected now), sold a Call this AM at peak for some quick fun, 100% Tesla vehicles in this home, my Naturopath MD gave me highest scores today, and best of all... I just bought out ALL partners in SoulPedal® last week. Busy-happy, bought a ticket for the Tesla Carbon lottery.

Then these arrived... "It was just another investment dear."

upload_2021-1-25_16-22-13.png

Checking in... going very well here. Bought many shares past weeks (all corrected now), sold a Call this AM at peak for some quick fun, 100% Tesla vehicles in this home, my Naturopath MD gave me highest scores today, and best of all... I just bought out ALL partners in SoulPedal® last week. Busy-happy, bought a ticket for the Tesla Carbon lottery.

Then these arrived... "It was just another investment dear."

View attachment 630661
Sounds like you are having an even better day than many of us here. And we are mostly having very good days.

Congrats and enjoy! I am kicking myself for ordering just one bottle.

Edit: I thought my better half would not be pleased with buying two bottles so ordered just one. When it arrived, she was more excited about it than I was, and asked why I didn't order more. Apparently, she heard folks were buying them for >$1K on Ebay and Craigslist. Who knew?

Tesla investment reaps $29bn profit for Edinburgh fund manager | Scottish Mortgage Investment Trust | The Guardian

The Guardians usually anti Elon so this article makes a nice change.

Anderson, who first made the decision to invest in Tesla in 2013, said if the fund had not acted to sell some of Tesla shares, the stock would have accounted for more than a third of the whole fund. Tesla is still Scottish Mortgage’s largest holding at 8.9% of total assets.

Explaining why he first bought Tesla, at a time when many experienced investors thought it was hugely overvalued at $6 a share, Anderson said: “To us it was, frankly, clear even back half a dozen years that the underlying technologies from batteries, to solar to eventually self-driving were progressing and would continue to do so.

“We thought (and simply observed) that Tesla was already past the technological and practical challenges to a good degree and that execution and finance were the practical issues. What we needed was time. Not many investors can have that luxury and necessity.”

Anderson said he believes the electric car revolution could only have been started by a maverick outsider such as Musk, and said he deserves the record-breaking $55.8bn bonus he is on track to collect.

“Let’s be clear that we thought this could only be done by a visionary from outside the traditional industry,” Anderson said. “We’re usually sceptics of management rewards but Elon deserves it. So, more recently, does his burgeoning team.

Someone needs to send a copy of this to Bernie Sanders. Some issues are more important than wealth redistribution.

The sad part is, this might be true. Remember Biden’s “Buy American” rally. There were pickups from the “Big 3” behind him as well as a Chevy Bolt. Not a single Tesla.....
Not necessarily sad, remember we need to electrify everything and Tesla can’t do it alone. Also, fleet vehicles are much different, low spec, content removed, usually white, sometimes even without A/C. There is so much room for all manufacturers. If Tesla wants to play (and I doubt they do), then they will need to create some boring, de-contented vans, trucks, and small CUVs (0 to 60 times, infotainment, maps, navigation, etc. don’t matter in those vehicles). If Tesla had enough free engineering support, sure they could do it, and one day they eventually might. One positive reason to do it would be V2G with solar, MegaPacks, and Autobidder. It would be great for the environment, air quality, noise, fuel costs, and national security. However, I don’t think it would be in the best interest of the Tesla brand, and therefore government fleet electrification will be left mostly to GM & Ford. Perhaps, if those guys are desperate, Tesla will supply bulk batteries, but even that is doubtful.

Sounds like you are having an even better day than many of us here. And we are mostly having very good days.

Congrats and enjoy! I am kicking myself for ordering just one bottle.

Edit: I thought my better half would not be pleased with buying two bottles so ordered just one. When it arrived, she was more excited about it than I was, and asked why I didn't order more. Apparently, she heard folks were buying them for >$1K on Ebay and Craigslist. Who knew?
Thanks, reelin' it all in. I owe it mainly to the fact that I don't drink as of over 5 yrs ago, then took control of my IRA. So I thought I'd celebrate some (haha). But I do have a plan which is key. One gets shared at my launch party, and the 2nd is for when I'm dying, lol (which could be a while so I'm told).

Could you imagine if WSB'ers had went after $TSLA instead of $GME and created the gamma squeeze causing $TSLA to go to $1500? :)
That would be a sight but it would probably come down just as fast...would be great entertainment though!

I have to imagine the liquidity on TSLA is an order of magnitude above GME...not sure WSB would have the firepower to move it as much.