Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I like Doug and found this to be an interesting and accurate take. At the time, I was smitten with BMW's 2001 lineup and forgot about all truly great cars they were producing in that era. I must have watched "Star" 100 times and have coveted an E39 M5 for years. A number of us had caught on early that Tesla had essentially leap-frogged BMW and other legacy makers in terms of image and cutting edge tech. I still remember my first drive in a Model S in late 2012 and thinking: "This is game over for everyone else."

BMW is completely lost right now, as are most legacy marques. There's lots of talk and some action, but much of it is too little, too late, and it's totally unclear what separates these companies from each other anymore. Doug was spot on that BMW's have completely lost their cachet and the fact that they produce 7 unique crossovers/SUV's models is laughable. While I sometimes wish Tesla had more offerings, what they do offer is truly best of class. There's no noise or strange niche-filling with their lineup - just incredibly well executed vision that gets better over time.

All of this was a great reminder of why Tesla is capturing the hearts and minds of many. They cut through the legacy marques like a hot knife through butter and, 8 years later, the Market Cap of Tesla and other makers reflects the fact that there's little more than a puddle of semi-hard butter on the table. We here knew this all along, but it's nice to see more "mainstream" sources acknowledging not only that Tesla is cool, but that other makers are no longer cool.

This OK Boomer backlash, or Vw CEO trying to talk *sugar* on twitter to get a response are just more ways to copy Tesla's free marketing tactics. However these people are not Elon, who is meme creator and told the SEC to suck his C. People will see through what other people are doing and it's just not genuine. Elon is a rebel, he is the wsb movement, he is the disruptor and destroyer of shorts. Anyone with a brain can tell BMW/VW their marketing tactic to pretend to be Elon like will backfire.

These companies run by suits are too busy being impartial. They are so afraid of stepping on people's toes while Elon and his followers embrace it. That's why people claim it's a cult like status because it's true to how he thinks. Every month people wonder if his twitter account was hacked because he is just too edgy and give zero Fs about it. Everything the other companies say seem like they being a used car sales man. Elon on the other hand sometimes shot himself in the foot but at least it's true to how he thinks.

Last edited:
Interesting video from Doug DeMuro about how BMW has lost its cool factor because of Tesla (among other reasons). The people that used to aspire to own a BMW now want a Tesla instead.

Well perhaps their strategy really is to become a BoomerWagon.

Talked to a guy in the soda industry who told me they market the sugar free Pepsi Max as the cool drink for active young people. Since that make health conscious middle aged customers buy it.

So by marketing the electric BMWs as the cool kids car they can get older customers with fat wallets to buy them?

Interesting video from Doug DeMuro about how BMW has lost its cool factor because of Tesla (among other reasons). The people that used to aspire to own a BMW now want a Tesla instead.

Remember when BMW was the car all the iPhone owners drove around? BMW was closely aligned to Apple, so much so that BMW actually put the proprietary iPod/iPhone connectors in their cars so you could plug your Apple device right into the car.

Now, Apple is supposedly partnering with Hyundai/Kia for the Apple Car. BMW isn't even on their radar anymore. The days when people thought BMW was cool are long gone.

This OK Boomer backlash, or Vw CEO trying to talk *sugar* on twitter to get a response are just more ways to copy Tesla's free marketing tactics. However these people are not Elon, who is meme creator and told the SEC to suck his C. People will see through what other people are doing and it's just not genuine. Elon is a rebel, he is the wsb movement, he is the disruptor and destroyer of shorts. Anyone with a brain can tell BMW/VW their marketing tactic to pretend to be Elon like will backfire.

I find this part especially hilarious. There's a number of inimitable qualities that Elon and Tesla possess, but they figured they would try anyway, with predictable results.

Doug couldn't even read through the Twitter replies to BMW's "Tell us you have a BMW without telling us you have a BMW." without cracking up. Absolutely brutal.

If BMW's strategy is to make EV's cool, they need to stop designing them with hot garbage as the inspiration. I still find the original Model S elegant after nearly 9 years, which is an incredible feat by Franz and the team, whereas a 9 year old 7 series evokes feelings of an unloved season.

Last edited:
Am noticing huge put volume the last hour. My short puts are shooting up in price despite TSLA holding steady. This is like a reverse ER IV spike on calls.
put.JPG

Trying to work out how my OP deserved an "informative"... o_O:D

Derek and Clive were in fact the alter-egos of establishment comedians Peter Cook and Dudley Moore (the latter well know in the film "Arthur")

Some of their other "work" was really, really filthy... checkout "Worst Job he Ever Had"
‘Cause the humor in the video was truly awful and also funny. I had on occasion in the past wondered where the phrase "awful funny" came from. This fits the bill though the actual connotation of "awful funny" is "very funny" at least in the US. Still it seemed close enough for the play on words to work.

I also use ‘informative’ on posts to express "it’s informative that you think that or that you would post that post." Perhaps consider it like a double entendre in this case. ;)

Cheers

So, Ray4Tesla tweeted a report that Giga Shanghai is right now cranking out 700 Ys per day.

Does this seem likely?

If true it is an amazingly fast ramp up.

It could be possible, based on a few thoughts;

Y and 3 do share a high percentage of common architecture; The experienced 3 employees walk over to the Y factory and get to work immediately. Plug and play.

Each casting eliminates 300 robots, so the time that if would have taken to calibrate 300 robots is gone.

Does the Shanghai Y use 2 castings? for front and rear, if so that eliminates 600 robots.

there is quite a bit of confusion in the article, so it could be 700/day is the eventual output,
some are also asking if this is per line, or per shift, in which case it could multiplied by 3 if it is just one shift.

I guess one way to know for sure would be to watch 100 car carriers loading up every day with just Model Y

MIC MY UPDATE: Chinese media PC Auto reports Giga Shanghai currently makes 700 Model Ys per day.
https://twitter.com/ray4tesla/status/1357563757010952195

Screen Shot 2021-02-05 at 12.41.02 PM.png

The italics are some of the responses to the tweet;

"Y and 3 share 75% of common architecture. Hence the quicker ramp."

"Gigacastings seem like they are making a huge difference in reducing assembly time per vehicle."

"Get ready for 1Q21, 700/day on a single shift is literally printing cars."

"不对吧,这个节拍单班只能产200多辆啊 translates to;
That's not right, this single class can only produce more than 200 cars"

this is a pretty lousy outlook on life, and terrible investment advice overall. Re-evaluating a company's direction and position is a necessary component to making any rational decision about it. Otherwise you're just operating on blind faith, which is a stupid thing to do.

Refusal to evaluate new information is a sign of weakness, not strength.

Not what I said nor the discussion.

Right there with you, man. I'll be looking to trade in our last ICE car for a Model S later this year / early next year (depending on availability). Just want to get my butt in a seat for some test drives and decide: Long Range, Plaid, or Plaid+. :cool:

If you have the means, I highly recommend picking a Plaid+ up

Given the incredibly low volume the last few days of trading, I'm pleasantly surprised the SP has held up so well. It bodes well for SP action following any good news/developments. And we all know there are a ton of positive news/developments coming.

I have a $600/500 put spread for next week. Premiums suddenly went up by almost 5-6X...anyone have any idea why? The share price barely moved.

What are you talking about? Just this year I've already bought 3 pair wool socks, 6 pair of underwear, a set of binoculars I've had my eye on and a fluid head to go with it. All purchased with stock gains.

Are you saying that looking at the un-light-polluted winter night sky through a nice set of 25 x 100mm binoculars, with warm, dry feet and fresh undies on is not life-changing? :confused:

Grandparents do always like to buy people underwear.

I have a $600/500 put spread for next week. Premiums suddenly went up by almost 5-6X...anyone have any idea why? The share price barely moved.
There's a China recall story that came out but I can't see how it can be the basis for any outsized crash next week. This massive put volume suggests someone is expecting something in that neighborhood.