Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It will save Tesla 1-2% in credit card processing fees.

I actually don't understand why Tesla does not offer alternative payment methods for at least domestic supercharging sessions. Most countries have some payment mechanism for that that is cheaper than a credit card (possibly even free as an already included service in a standard banking account). I tried to email (LOL) Tesla in Germany to get that set up, but never heard back from them. For comparison my Amazon account has six payment options (of which I actually use two)....

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
You either own it or not. You don't need your own wallet if you want to leave it on the exchange/app that you used to buy it. Cash app for example. Or you can use your own wallet to store it. The benefits to using your own wallet are that you actually "hold" the coins. Square can go bankrupt and you keep your bitcoin. The downside are that you could be stupid and throw your hardware wallet into the trash and forget your recovery phrase.

I'm not clear on which "it" you are referring to. BTC (the tradable shares) or Bitcoin Wallet (used for conducting transactions).

Or, are you saying that I can buy BTC shares through Fidelity and purchase things with a Bitcoin Wallet that takes the coin from the BTC shares held in a Fidelity account?

This is what I feel is the difference between "BTC shares" and "Bitcoin Wallet holdings." They are not the same thing, yet folks seem to be conversing as if they are.

This is exactly why those with huge profits in bitcoin is trying to get them accepted as payment. If it is they can say you don't tax currencies so don't tax my billions in bitcoin.

The US doesn't consider Bitcoin a currency.

Frequently Asked Questions on Virtual Currency Transactions | Internal Revenue Service

Q2. How is virtual currency treated for Federal income tax purposes?

A2. Virtual currency is treated as property and general tax principles applicable to property transactions apply to transactions using virtual currency. For more information on the tax treatment of virtual currency, see Notice 2014-21. For more information on the tax treatment of property transactions, see Publication 544, Sales and Other Dispositions of Assets.

Q13. Will I recognize a gain or loss if I pay someone with virtual currency for providing me with a service?

A13. Yes. If you pay for a service using virtual currency that you hold as a capital asset, then you have exchanged a capital asset for that service and will have a capital gain or loss. For more information on capital gains and capital losses, see Publication 544, Sales and Other Dispositions of Assets.

I'm not clear on which "it" you are referring to. BTC (the tradable shares) or Bitcoin Wallet (used for conducting transactions).

Or, are you saying that I can buy BTC shares through Fidelity and purchase things with a Bitcoin Wallet that takes the coin from the BTC shares held in a Fidelity account?

This is what I feel is the difference between "BTC shares" and "Bitcoin Wallet holdings." They are not the same thing, yet folks seem to be conversing as if they are.
You can't buy bitcoin on the stock market. GBTC etc. just track bitcoin.

Correct. But the more it's accepted as payment the more you can argue that it is a currency. Which is the end goal since currencies is normally not taxed.

Never mind that everyone holds them as 'investment' and not for payments.

Can't believe I'm discussing bitcoin in this thread. Spent a month finetuning twitter to get rid of as much as possible of that talk there.

Actually mods. More Teslas have already been paid for in Norwegian kroner than will be paid for in bitcoin the next 10 years. Way more than $1.5b in Norwegian kroner has been held for periods of time than what is now held in bitcoin.

Three posts about the valuation and merits of Norwegian kroner in this thread and there would be a ban on that discussion. Please ship all of this to a separate thread.

The notion of people using Bitcoin as a currency is hard for me to accept as long as it is considered a highly appreciable an investable commodity. Am I missing something?
Yup, it's terrible as a currency. However as it's worth more, those who held are more willing to part with their real currency.

Most will not trade their Tsla shares to buy Tesla either. However as their paper gains increase, they are more likely to justify spending piggy bank money on a Tesla.

Reinforcing how Bitcoin shouldn't be spoken of as a currency until it is traded on the FX.

It is a private alternative payment system, akin more to "Ithaca Hours" or a similar functioning exchange system than it is to currency.

I don't see any problem with Tesla holding a small stake in it, particularly if it has potential for gains, or, could be useful for expanding transactions.

• Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Serious question...If we cannot control Battery technology, and we are setting up 2 new gigafactories, are we concerned if one of the many new Battery start-ups come up with a new battery technology that is much better than what we currently have and what we are planning as we have already committed resources to our current Giga set up. There is so much capacity coming on stream over the next few years and the Europeans will be building their own plants funded by the EU, Should we be somewhat concerned?

Serious question...If we cannot control Battery technology, and we are setting up 2 new gigafactories, are we concerned if one of the many new Battery start-ups come up with a new battery technology that is much better than what we currently have and what we are planning as we have already committed resources to our current Giga set up. There is so much capacity coming on stream over the next few years and the Europeans will be building their own plants funded by the EU, Should we be somewhat concerned?

No.

And Germany is set to subsidize Tesla's German battery factory, btw.