Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's talk in DC of making the tax incentive for EVs even more generous than $7500, and Schumer bringing up the idea of no more ICE cars in the US. In a sane market, this would be incredibly bullish for Tesla, but the market right now is freaking out about 0.25% changes in interest rates that are still near their all time lows.
Reality check: There are lots of ideas out there but Dems can only cram so much through Congress this year because of how dysfunctional things are. Additionally, Joe Manchin has veto power over every divisive issue in the Senate.

Tomorrow is a Triple Witching Day, a quarterly expiration of large open interest stock index futures, their options, and individual stock options. Please don’t join the illiterates who call it Quintuple Witching Day. In mythology and literature, witches frequently came in threes, never in fours. Some years ago, the CME introduced single stock futures and asked the media to start using the term Quintuple to promote their product. That product never caught on. Those in the know stick with Triple, despite there actually being countless listed options and strikes.

Meanwhile, Tesla option open interest for tomorrow's expiration appears to be concentrated near the $700 strike price. That may be the closing target zone that could save the most premiums for many large option writers (mainly hedge funds and market makers) with the means to manipulate share prices. Of course, the ideal target can vary for each option writer. Right now, it may seem to be a stretch to get the share price back to $700 by tomorrow’s market closing. But the closer it gets; the more money could be saved by some of the option writers. A halt in the rise of long-term treasury rates or good Tesla news may make possible such a bounce. Fasten your seat belts. :D

Last edited:
CNBC- 2 hours ago:

I watched it - it is what one could expect. Not a word about Tesla's opportunity to establish itself in India via Tesla Energy - which should have huge potential, given the unreliable power grids and high PV capacity factor there. The focus was entirely on the low price point of cars (and 2- & 3-wheelers), and while CNBC did touch on the potential for Tesla's expected priced-lower-than-Model3 car, I expect Tesla will do something else with India. Tesla could for example establish a PV- and LFP-cell production there and then later start production there of the model that is currently under development in China - with cheap, locally produced cells. With Tesla Energy well-established and well-recognized, the combination of an electric car and PV + a Powerwall (all integrated) should be really popular - among the upper class. The country does seem to have some lithium and nickel, so maybe they could also secure local supplies for higher capacity cells. Eventually, with cheap enough batteries, an even smaller Tesla could perhaps be designed for the Indian market. But I can easily see why smaller and richer markets such as Israel come first.

Nah, there's a near-zero chance of any really positive EV legislation passing in the current political US climate.

Reality check: There are lots of ideas out there but Dems can only cram so much through Congress this year because of how dysfunctional things are. Additionally, Joe Manchin has veto power over every divisive issue in the Senate.

Any new EV credit would likely be in the massive infrastructure bill the dems want to do.

And would likely pass via reconciliation.

And Manchin has actively supported EV credits in the past FWIW

That said, the infrastructure bill will be huge, expensive, and likely months away from passing if it does at all.

Estimating the true direct economic costs of fossil fuel use would be a huge task that would likely miss many of the expenses. Of course, fossil energy has had many economic benefits also. But, now that we have a viable alternate path, the benefits are miniscule compared to the liabilities. I think a general estimation of the true costs would undoubtedly greatly under-estimate the actual impacts. I've never seen a comprehensive study.

I have seen a couple of attempts to account for the economic costs of just the medical impacts and it was sobering. It's hard to put a price on human cost in terms of reduced quality of life, pain and suffering and shorter lifespans but the direct costs are large enough to take immediate action to reverse this travesty.

There is no doubt that humans, as a species, are not nearly as healthy as we could be and much of it stems from our reliance on fossil fuels for so many things and cavalier attitudes towards breathing toxic gases. It's unavoidable, just a part of living, right? 🤔

The human civilization has evolved around obtaining and utilizing energy. The hunter-gatherer stage humans were not much different from today's chickens or monkeys. Then came the age of agriculture and domesticated animals, probably 10x human's ability to command energy.

Then the large scale use of fossil fuels, first coal, then petro, and natural gas made industrial revolutions possible. 300+ years of human history with easier and cheaper energy from fossil fuels, generation after generation have hallucinated the human race collectively, unconsciously, and/or conveniently ignore the very source of fossil fuel energy, and to the same or even more extent, its negative impacts on all aspects of human lives and very much likely if the trajectory weren't be changed fast enough, the continuation of the earth as it has been. It takes time to unwind that.

Now the technology to source the original energy easier, cheaper and simultaneously much cleaner than fossil fuels has matured. The use of "new" energy in large scale starts, very slowly at T+00:00, seemingly not moving at all, but keeps accelerating and very soon, will reach the escape velocity of no return. The future of limitless energy as envisioned by Tony Seba is only one or two decades away. The number I look forward to is 3 - 3 TWh from Tesla.

Even more exciting is that, for the first time, human race is transitioning from energy-dominant evolution to intelligence-dominant evolution, or probably more aptly, from carbon based human beings to carbon-silicon based superintelligent beings.

There will one or two organizations that will win out in both: first the old one, making energy availability trivial (limitless energy at will), then superintelligence. I can only hope it won't turn into evil with so much power, whoever/whatever it would be.

Watching $TSLA SP fluctuating up and down is like the time distortion of human perception during high stress (On time distortion under stress, pdf) - every single tick changes our sense one way or another. But if we zoom out to the scale of ten years, we see a curve trending right and up, with a few spikes and dips dotting along.

Zooming out is an effective way to relax and enjoy the show.

Last edited:
So, VW is selling ID.3 with 58kWh battery for <£35K including VAT and delivery fees?

This honestly surprises the hell outta me. Am I alone in thinking Tesla ought to have more margin than the ID.3? While a range of 70 miles isn’t impossible (or impressive) under £35K for this category, VW@58 kWh seems to be the outlier? I don’t see Tesla making a 70 mile variant, but a MiC model 3 with software limit/lock on the battery to keep range near the VW with a post-sale opportunity to unlock?
just glanced UK VW configurator and it seems you can get only base trim below 35000£ with steel wheels, no rear view camera, decent trim starts at 35400, so they can move below 35k easily. Not having to pay 10% import tax helps...

• Informative
Reactions: UkNorthampton
So while TSLA is down 25% from ATH, GM is absolutely soaring. This is hilarious given that it’s now pretty obvious that GM has entered into deals/partnerships with 2 “allegedly” fraudulent companies in NKLA and RIDE.

It has been "alleged" Tesla is a fraudulent company led by SEC sanctioned "allegedly" fraudulent CEO for over a dozen years.

• Funny
Reactions: AZRI11 and elasalle