Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So all you guys having been in TSLA for the last 5-10 years, what are some things you’ve done with your gains?
Have you cashed some out and bought homes, cars, islands, etc? Or still HODL on all shares you’ve accumulated?
I haven’t really bought anything big, but I did retire recently. I’ve donated a bunch and cashed out just enough TSLA for a year or two of living expenses. I also opened a Pledged Asset Line of credit against some of the position to cover anything “unexpected”. Ok, we did buy an RV to travel around the US for a while.

I owe much of this good fortune to the fine folks on this forum, whose sound advice helped me HODL and even double down when Tesla was struggling and when TSLA was just acting weird. And I bought my first Tesla, a 2012 Model S, from a member on TMC. THAT car changed everything for me; it made driving fun again!! It, along with my Model 3 and Model X, are the best cars we’ve ever had. My favorite...is whichever one I’m driving.

Oh, and I think the new Roadster will be one of those “unexpected” things.😀

Cheers!

So all you guys having been in TSLA for the last 5-10 years, what are some things you’ve done with your gains?
Have you cashed some out and bought homes, cars, islands, etc? Or still HODL on all shares you’ve accumulated?
I haven't done anything meaningful because I'm thinking more about early retirement. I don't want to buy a house, or a car, or even an island if my goal is to retire early and spend the rest of my life traveling the world. Which it is. If TSLA is over $1000 by 2022, I will retire in 2022. This is my plan, so let's all hope Papa Elon is going to make it rain again this year.

I have told literally no one this except my parents (who think I'm crazy). You guys are the only ones I can say this to, we all know what it's like in real life if you tell your co-workers who are 10-20 years older than you and no hope of retirement in sight that you plan to retire next year. I have to give 30 days notice to my boss when I leave if I want to be paid out my remaining unused vacation time, but I don't have to say a thing to anyone else. So I ain't saying a God damn thing, just one day I'm going to go to work, clean out my personal belongings, say it was nice knowing you guys, and never be seen again. I'm really looking forward to that day and I hope it's as early as next year.

I haven't done anything meaningful because I'm thinking more about early retirement. I don't want to buy a house, or a car, or even an island if my goal is to retire early and spend the rest of my life traveling the world. Which it is. If TSLA is over $1000 by 2022, I will retire in 2022. This is my plan, so let's all hope Papa Elon is going to make it rain again this year.

I have told literally no one this except my parents (who think I'm crazy). You guys are the only ones I can say this to, we all know what it's like in real life if you tell your co-workers who are 10-20 years older than you and no hope of retirement in sight that you plan to retire next year. I have to give 30 days notice to my boss when I leave if I want to be paid out my remaining unused vacation time, but I don't have to say a thing to anyone else. So I ain't saying a God damn thing, just one day I'm going to go to work, clean out my personal belongings, say it was nice knowing you guys, and never be seen again. I'm really looking forward to that day and I hope it's as early as next year.
Go for it!

That's pretty much what I did last month. Gave ~30 days notice and walked away after 24 years of being the sole IT person for a small company. The daily grind was weighing on me. I've now gone two weeks without having to ask anyone, "Did you turn it off and back on again?" 😒 It is quite refreshing.

After doing loads of research I realized that even if I hadn't reached my retirement goal quite yet I could live off of cash from margin (plus Social Security) while preserving chairs and HODLing TSLA for another two to three years. This scheme allows for 10% higher spendable income than the job I left. It was a risk I was willing to take. In a couple of years things may be quite peachy.

Now, the toughest part of retirement is adjusting to life without the daily obligation of working at a job I no longer enjoyed. 😎

I invested in something that likely won't make money but super educational, rewarding, and creative. Booth at NAMM in Jan '22 is the plan. SoulPedal® has Nicheman ingredients, exactly as Elon tweeted. Niche works for me, gotta start somewhere. I was making Bouee Products (Pool Buoy/sign/chlorinator for boater types shown in lower right of photo) but then Tech Shop closed and I lost access to industrial equipment. So making my own Tech Shop now. Lot's of Maker equipment in the home now, and seriously eyeballing an SLS powder based 3D printer from Poland for Nylon and TPE end-product printing (vs injection molds). 3D printing is getting that good - desktop, no less!

And finally!!! the backyard makeover is complete this weekend! Just in time for our first ~100F weekend. Notice the paver driveway where CyberTruck will be my new yard security system. I hope the sun in Az doesn't hurt the paint, lol. Also notice the new CyberStone patio.

1617567196500.png

Well, it’s a close race....I’m no longer even in the top half of the field. If you can beat 2Pearls $882.33, then post your numbers!
D0A40F24-E140-4E88-8221-E412EB4FEA3B.jpeg

I find this spread interesting because it’s not about how much money you have invested, or how early that you invested it....it’s got more conviction to it because the earlier you first bought in, arguably the less you need to buy more now....but if you are still buying into recent highs, because you still believe, then you’ll do well on this spread....

I haven't done anything meaningful because I'm thinking more about early retirement. I don't want to buy a house, or a car, or even an island if my goal is to retire early and spend the rest of my life traveling the world. Which it is.
Me too. My house is good enough to prevent me dreaming from a new one (or an entire island). My TSLA gains allow me to focus on my plan B: nature and landscape photography, roaming Europe with my Model S. Unfortunately, the roaming part will have to wait until Covid is gone.

Wanted to spend some of my profits on Cybertruck Tri, but after seeing it in person I cancelled my reservation.

That 6’ bed is no joke, trucks a full sized bull. If they offer smaller bed sizes I’d probably reserve again!
That's an interesting reaction. The greatest reservations that we and the other pickup owners in my circle have is that the bed is only six feet long and not a full eight feet. But we've not canceled our reservation!

OT,
Ya natural gas is my sore spot still. I bought a heated Dyson purifier and place it in the bedroom at night and near my desk in day. And I still haven't used my Spa in a long time. It uses 400,000 BTUs to heating it (= 117 KWh, more than a LR Tesla full charge... PER HOUR). We just don't generate enough surplus to justify that kind of gas burn.
But surely that's a "Get Hot From Base Temperature" number, and not a "Maintain at This Temperature" number? Or did you go Full @Krugerrand and buy the Pacific Ocean for your spa?

• Funny
Reactions: Duffer and JoRoMo
That's an interesting reaction. The greatest reservations that we and the other pickup owners in my circle have is that the bed is only six feet long and not a full eight feet. But we've not canceled our reservation!

I’ve never owned a truck, but taking my M3 off pavement is annoying. Over 6-11mph on dirt roads and the car feels like it’s going to break. Vacations and we might buy a trailer, I’d rather get Cybertruck with a 4’ bed than MX. 6’ bed is too much truck for me!

TSLA has given me “options” that I can exercise at any time. Just knowing that makes all the difference.

I’ve never owned a truck, but taking my M3 off pavement is annoying. Over 6-11mph on dirt roads and the car feels like it’s going to break. Vacations and we might buy a trailer, I’d rather get Cybertruck with a 4’ bed than MX. 6’ bed is too much truck for me!
Trucks’ definitely catchy, but that ass is big!

Attachments

• C7434FC3-C6C3-41CC-AE3B-9DCD261D1638.jpeg
    C7434FC3-C6C3-41CC-AE3B-9DCD261D1638.jpeg
    350.5 KB · Views: 46
  • 70932031-18B0-4BA0-856D-4CF1642C918E.jpeg
    70932031-18B0-4BA0-856D-4CF1642C918E.jpeg
    270.9 KB · Views: 41
  • Funny
Reactions: SunCatcher
This is what I thought too. Many contend that if it can't carry a 4x8 sheet of plywood without lowering the tailgate, it's not a usable truck.

Well, it’s a close race....I’m no longer even in the top half of the field. If you can beat 2Pearls $882.33, then post your numbers!
View attachment 650875

I find this spread interesting because it’s not about how much money you have invested, or how early that you invested it....it’s got more conviction to it because the earlier you first bought in, arguably the less you need to buy more now....but if you are still buying into recent highs, because you still believe, then you’ll do well on this spread....
My first TSLA shares came out of the SCTY merger. So that would make them 36.90 post split. My latest share purchases were at 855.

Moved my 401k to TSLA in 2016-17 after a year in the Model S (I'm slow). Bought land for the agroforestry field station with shares from work and TSLA will provide the infrastructure including 10k m^2 of solar and 1 MWh of battery making us a regional power producer as well. Coffee, cacao, citrus. Also biochar.
as a fellow agroforestry researcher, I applaud that move. To me the key issues have always been weed control. Pedro Sanchez's (i'm a former student just doing sustainable forestry on east coast) works on soils are a good read. Far off topic but wanted to say hi and good luck!