Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've linked this video before but there is something significant at 2:25 an image shared at Battery Day..
We could call a Structural Pack a - "Cell Structured Pack".
And a traditional 2170 pack a - "Frame Structured Pack".

The difference being in the "Frame Structured Pack" the cells are cargo, just along for the ride. The frame provides the structure.
The Structural Pack is, lighter, stiffer and has the weight more centred, but we know a Model Y with a "Frame Structured Pack". is viable.

Like Jordan, I know think a Structural Pack and a "Frame Structured Pack" are interchangable, at least in a Model Y with front and rear castings.

So if necessary, I think regular 2170 packs could be used for the initial Berlin Model Y ramp, and CATL LFP packs could be used in SR+ Model 3 to free up some cells.

For the 4680 ramp there may be an internal target, and an external target, There may be deliveries of Model Ys with those cells to Tesla staff 3-4 months before customer deliveries... If Tesla wanted to do that, it probably would not be overly difficult to accommodate.

That might also explain some SX with 2170’s while others have 4680’s.

damn! Killer record-breaking profits, smartly buying BTC at a ~1B profit gain, and forward looking model x/s refresh coming over the next few quarters is making the stock price drop this much?!

Also, anyone thought Biden works for TSLA at the beginning of his speech when was talking about electric cars and batteries/solar panels production that needs to happen for new jobs lol.

Time to buy some dips!

The genius part was to get people to pay full price for it and help Tesla train it because YOU want it better since you paid full price for it. But when you no longer have skin in the game, once the novelty wears off you'll stop subscribing.

FSD is a novelty feature until it has some real utility such as able to make you money via robotaxis or saves you time by fully freeing you from the burden of driving. Supervised FSD on city streets doesn't seem very relaxing unlike NOA on hwys.
Wow, seems you're getting beat up here. I tend to agree that many will try it and leave it, maybe for a vacation, in its current non-beta state. As that state improves, more will adopt. Others... we'll it's an adoption curve thing and I'm one of the earliest ever. Paid twice, waiting for the TN for real value, but the novelty has not worn off yet - for me.

It's hard to describe my feelings and behavior because it's a gradual process over the past 3 yrs. I prefer FSD now as I trust the eyes in the back of my head less and less. If it's not on, I am more nervous on blind turns now, lane changes. I stopped looking over my shoulder so now it feels mechanical not automatic. When you begin to rely on it this way, removing it sucks! I have the need to trailer something with the Model Y, but HATE the fact that I won't have FSD while trailering. It's an actual problem for me, but not compared to today's stock price for example.

Basically, I don't need FSD so I can read TMC while driving. I need it because I'm losing the ability to do this all myself. I relax more when it's in control, and I know exactly when to pay attention - as a co-pilot. I'm not sure how long it takes for the average person to experience this but if they offer a 3 month introductory price, I think they'll start to hit on this.

damn! Killer record-breaking profits, smartly buying BTC at a ~1B profit gain, and forward looking model x/s refresh coming over the next few quarters is making the stock price drop this much?!

Also, anyone thought Biden works for TSLA at the beginning of his speech when was talking about electric cars and batteries/solar panels production that needs to happen for new jobs lol.

Time to buy some dips!
If you're just now deciding to buy the dip, I'm seriously jealous!

I agree with this - I can't imagine paying $200 per months for it, unless I was using my car as a robo-taxi, then it's OK

A pay-per-mile would be much more interesting, especially for casual users

Back in March Tesla updated their Upgrades page React code with the language for subscribing to FSD. I detailed it in a post here: Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

From that preliminary code, it seems like they are planning month-to-month, cancel anytime.

I don't have FSD on my SR+. I would probably be willing to pay a few hundred every time I went on a long road trip just for lane changes and NOA.

Front page business section in NYT about Tesla’s big mess with the Solar roofs.

As a shareholder since 2013 and theoretical Solar Roof customer, cannot say I am happy about any aspect of the history of this product at Tesla.

I am sure Elon knows he screwed up here, but it is what it is. Hopefully they clean this mess up and move on soon. I am assuming this is what the huge price increases in the past few months is all about in the end.

It is normal for automakers in North America to build their full size trucks and near luxury CUVs like Model Y in the United States. And their non-premium vehicles in Mexico. Ford choosing final Mach-e assembly in Mexico is unusual.
I think Ford's decision to manufacture the Mach-e in Mexico was due to the pressure to get the price low enough to compete with Tesla while being able to sell it somewhere near breakeven. That would be notable since Ford has a $7500 tax credit advantage over Tesla.

My impression from reading Mach-e forums is that some Mach-e fans are probably in that group you mention that were on-board with Trump re: Mexicans. They don't like that their car was made in Mexico but they have that unique human ability to forget what they believe when its inconvenient for them. In other words, the place of manufacture is not a subject that comes up much. And if someone mistakenly refers to the Mach-e being domestic to the US, it will just be ignored.

Last edited:
Front page business section in NYT about Tesla’s big mess with the Solar roofs.

As a shareholder since 2013 and theoretical Solar Roof customer, cannot say I am happy about any aspect of the history of this product at Tesla.

I am sure Elon knows he screwed up here, but it is what it is. Hopefully they clean this mess up and move on soon. I am assuming this is what the huge price increases in the past few months is all about in the end.
Sometimes Elon stumbles on certain nuances. Simplification of giving people quotes without inspection is another mistake that belongs in the vault of good attempt at cost savings but worst than expected execution like too much automation for car assembly.

Reactions: Nightshifter
Sometimes Elon stumbles on certain nuances. Simplification of giving people quotes without inspection is another mistake that belongs in the vault of good attempt at cost savings but worst than expected execution like too much automation for car assembly.
It's THE answer for solar panels, but horrendous for the infinitely more complex solar roof.

This is all fallout from the removal of sales from the Tesla Energy model. Absolutely the correct move, and Elon is right to no allow it to creep back in.

What they need to do is appreciate that "sales" also ran the rest of the show in the old SolarCity model. We need to reintroduce service/communication and obviously some form of semi-automated custom pricing.

From what you noticed, anecdotally, do you think benchmark funds would've acquired TSLA to the weightage they likely aimed for?
Perhaps during Feb, March drop?
In my observation, no. The number of ETFs holding TSLA is still very underwhelming compared to those holding other big growth names. Most of their purchase of TSLA happened in December - January. That's pretty much come to a halt since February.

I expect them to stop selling FSD and only go with subscriptions at the latest a year or so after starting subscriptions. Possibly at the same time.

Previous or current buying price will have an impact for the monthly price only at introduction. Even a few months after, Tesla can and will start to adjust the price to find the best result. With no regard to previous buying price.
What happens when we don't have steering wheels anymore? A monthly fee forever?

It's THE answer for solar panels, but horrendous for the infinitely more complex solar roof.

This is all fallout from the removal of sales from the Tesla Energy model. Absolutely the correct move, and Elon is right to no allow it to creep back in.

What they need to do is appreciate that "sales" also ran the rest of the show in the old SolarCity model. We need to reintroduce service/communication and obviously some form of semi-automated custom pricing.
Exactly. I recall several conversations with Tesla Sales person who didn't understand electrical, let alone the installation process. It triggered a back and forth, 2 site visits, all over a lack of experience up front. I even remember telling the salesperson that he should learn more about this stuff. That was over 2 years ago now, so maybe that got fixed, IDK.

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
I expect them to stop selling FSD and only go with subscriptions at the latest a year or so after starting subscriptions. Possibly at the same time.

Previous or current buying price will have an impact for the monthly price only at introduction. Even a few months after, Tesla can and will start to adjust the price to find the best result. With no regard to previous buying price.
If they wind up making FSD subscription far cheaper than buying it then I will be pissed if they don't let me transfer my FSD license. I think that would be fair.

If TSLA doubles sometime after that happens I will be mollified though. ;)

• Funny
Reactions: mekberg