Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Probably. However, what at the time seemed like excessively flamboyant engineering proclamations by Elon on twitter very often turned out in the end to be deep and important engineering advancements. So this explicit, and incongruous, micrometer reference could be something more profound than just bragging rights. A for all practical purposes perfect fit and finish is at most a milimeter issue, not something 1000 times smaller.
I think Elon tweeted that because he still wants to prove what he said in 2018 can and will be done. -
"Our car needs to be designed and built with such accuracy and precision that, if an owner measures dimensions, panel gaps, and flushness, and their measurements don't match the Model 3 specs, it just means that their measuring tape is wrong."

That's a weirdly silly and myopic assertion.

Yes, go tell Elon that his focusing on unproven "megacasting" is weirdly silly and myopic.

Casting improves consistency, throughput and price.
Do you seriously suggest they should stick with stamping and other 'old ways of doing things' and just try to ramp up production? Such suggestions is just rooting for Tesla to fail.

Old industry took decades to reach current consistency of panel gaps and stamping prices.
What makes you think Tesla would master this old tech much quicker?

The easiest way to win the game is by changing the rules. It is not Tesla that has bad gaps and costly production.
The rest of auto industry will have bad gaps and costly production. Tesla will have NO gaps and 'dirt' cheap production.

Super-quick acceleration of Tesla EVs also come from the same chapter of Changing the rules.
EVs with above 7s 0-60 times are laughable embarrassments for their owners and producers.
No, no one needs such acceleration just as no one really needs a car. It's a "I want and I can".
Only some of them can not and then downplay their shortcomings.

TBH as an investor I do not care. My 2015 model S has bad panel gaps compared to a new model 3. The current 3/Y are more than good enough. Tesla are not just an ordinary company, they are in a race against time to accelerate the transition to EVs before we screw up our climate irretrievably.

I couldn't give 2 cents about panel gaps. Just make more Model 3s and Ys. a lot more, fast as possible, and make em cheaper if you can. We can all start pontificating about panel gap comparisons once the ICE industry is dead.

As a shareholder, I couldn't care less what lets elon brag on twitter. He can point at rocket launches if he wants to show off :D
I have a 2018 model 3 and I kid you not I have never even checked to see if I have panel gaps! It has just over 50,000 miles and I love the car so much I could care less if I have a panel gap somewhere

Last edited:
I have a 2018 model 3 and I kid you not I have never even checked to see if I have panel gaps! It has just over 50,000 miles and I love the car so much I could care less of to work fam have gap somewhere
This is exactly where most Tesla owners are in the great Panel Gap War. lol

I find it amusing how news reports use “framing” terms. Governments refer to ”digital“ currency, pumpers refer to “crypto“ and cautioners (China in this case) use the term “virtual”.

Seems like virtual is not the image the pumpers are favoring.
Agree

Use of the terms Electronic / Electric / Electrified says a lot about the person or organisation

My vote is for EV just to mean Battery Electric Vehicle (BEV) and I use terms like PHEV, Hybrid and ICE to refer to others. Only EV & PHEV have plugs.

Doesn't matter too much - it's a footnote in history once ICE engines are no longer sold, even in Hybrids. Economics & local pollution restrictions (cost or access) will be the real drivers in my opinion.

If you can't access London, Bristol or Oxford without paying a high daily charge, or at certain times (in other cities in EU/China), you won't buy or lease another ICE.

BTW, you may not be aware that London has 3 daily charges, two for all cars (reductions/free for EVs) and the big one is £100-300 per ICE van or HGV (Semi). That's quite a high daily cost - so I'd really like to see more van/lorry choices asap

Edit: More Tesla demand for current models, pent up demand for new models

Once again macro though, I don't see $TSLA being exceptional

Will be interesting to see if $560 is still support - is that still a number, or has it evolved since the other day? Paging @Artful Dodger...
I know. Everything is red again. Tapering fears again? Feels like it has been baked in multiple times already.

Once again macro though, I don't see $TSLA being exceptional

Will be interesting to see if $560 is still support - is that still a number, or has it evolved since the other day? Paging @Artful Dodger...
Lower-BB was 550 at the Close yesterday, but I expect it to be closer to 540 by the Open today:

sc.TSLA.50-DayChart.2021-05-18.20-00.png

But yer right, this is all macros and short-pannick mongering. Buy rite'n'Hold tight I say. :p

Although, the Cdn dollar is at a 6 yr high against the USD, so I might convert some currency.

I know. Everything is red again. Tapering fears again? Feels like it has been baked in multiple times already.
Nah, its just the FED meeting minutes for the April Meeting will be released today. You know, the one that happened before the jobs report? It's just an excuse to short.

I may have to sneak into my neighbors house and check their sofa for some loose change if this silliness continues.
Funny, that's EXACTLY how shortzes buy the shares they're selling... :p Wanna bet they try to retest the March low? Then, the SP was ~40 bux below the Lower-BB. This time, they would be about equal.

Cheees!

Last edited:
they'll report it as impairment, you have to show the lower of acquisition or market price according to GAAP
Gary Black tweeted this morning that he estimates Tesla would have to recognize impairment losses if bitcoin drops to ~$35,000. Perhaps Elon and Zach would not let that happen, a lot has changed in the past few months.

Reactions: Itsame
Dislike because of FALSE dichotomy... better panelgaps do NOT mean/demand/cause less production and they do not mean/demand/cause higher prices.

In this case it's the opposite.

Better gaps would mean LOWER cost because they could stop wasting all the $ they currently do fixing them after manufacturing both at the factory off the line, and at service centers and via mobile rangers.

Plus the added benefit of less complaints from customers on getting gapped cars (and yes, everyone in this thread magically doesn't care- but there's still many threads even here (well, the car-specific subthreads here) about folks having to get gaps fixed at cost to Tesla after that fact that DO care... including pissed off Tesla buyers who get told it's "within spec" when it's laughably not)

Fix gaps and that cost (both cash and customer sat) goes away- so even if there's an upfront cost to fixing it, it pays itself back with a profit in the long run.
(and if the fix is "use a lot fewer parts with a lot fewer individual attachment steps" then it's likely there's savings on BOTH ends of this fix not just the back end)

Dislike because of FALSE dichotomy... better panelgaps do NOT mean/demand/cause less production and they do not mean/demand/cause higher prices.

The right way is to improve all of it, without compromise.

Best EVs does not come with shameful defects.

EV's with "shameful defects"? Is this a not so veiled reference to those EV's that come with an exhaust pipe and engine? 🤨