Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why do we need this EV Bill anyway? I honestly don't understand.

Tesla sells and will sell each car they make. This bill will do nothing to speed up production at Tesla.

If Tesla achieves milestones shown during Battery Day then demand will not become an issue.

Judging by the Biden speech this EV Bill is mostly about Unions and throwing a lifeline to car salesmen who not so long ago spent millions lobbying against Tesla. GM was viscous in the campaign to stop Tesla from selling directly to consumers.
Sounds like GM got themselves into a sticky situation

A man can dream.

I just watched the John Delorean docudrama.

Then I Googled electric converted Deloreans and saw there was an elektrek article that says the company was looking to bring itself back and make electric cars and was looking for financing.

There's never really been a car I've ever wanted in my life that wasnt a Tesla other than a Delorean.

If Musks UK visits are part of looking at the chance to partner with Delorean to make Tesla powered Deloreans in the UK I'd be pretty excited. A lot of what the original cars were seems to have influenced Tesla, from the Lotus, to the goal of a long lasting car rather than one that is planned to fall apart. The way the doors open. Ya a 25k Tesla powered 2 seatered stainless steel Delorean would probably be the only non Tesla I would consider right now.

Edit: In the doc at one point someone says something about how you can't pay for advertising like that today, referencing the Back to the Future movies. I think there's probably a not insignificant number of millennials who'd love to have an electric delorean
@EVWatcher
OT
here you go, Electric Delorean at Autocross racing in 2010

• Informative
Reactions: capster and UncaNed
After sleeping on it, somehow they could introduce legislation that somehow excluded Tesla (won't happen, but just image), and Tesla will sill outsell every other manufacturer. Once 4680 is scaled, costs will reduce so much that Tesla's margins will be greater than Ford and GM, regardless of any credit system

And the USA is not the only car market, folks...

I am not a mechanical engineer, but I don't see where in a car micron precision is needed.

A car doesn't need 0-60 in less than 2 seconds or a top speed over 200 mph either.

It is bragging rights.

It is a bold prediction we will top fit and finish of the best legacy OEMs from Germany and Japan.

The problem is that each part has a specified tolerance. When parts go together each part's actual tolerance is added to the other parts. There is also a tolerance for the assembly but the more parts there are the harder it is to keep the assembly within tolerance. Having the first parts precise down to the micron means that the entire assembly will be much

A car doesn't need 0-60 in less than 2 seconds or a top speed over 200 mph either.

It is bragging rights.

It is a bold prediction we will top fit and finish of the best legacy OEMs from Germany and Japan.

Probably. However, what at the time seemed like excessively flamboyant engineering proclamations by Elon on twitter very often turned out in the end to be deep and important engineering advancements. So this explicit, and incongruous, micrometer reference could be something more profound than just bragging rights. A for all practical purposes perfect fit and finish is at most a milimeter issue, not something 1000 times smaller.

A for all practical purposes perfect fit and finish is at most a milimeter issue, not something 1000 times smaller.

Elon wants to post on Twitter that Tesla panel gaps are two orders of magnitude better than the next best car company.

Not about "practical purposes." It is about bragging rights.

He wants to Tesla fans to have that common comeback when someone at a dinner party says " Yeah, but Tesla panel gaps are horrible."

Probably. However, what at the time seemed like excessively flamboyant engineering proclamations by Elon on twitter very often turned out in the end to be deep and important engineering advancements. So this explicit, and incongruous, micrometer reference could be something more profound than just bragging rights. A for all practical purposes perfect fit and finish is at most a milimeter issue, not something 1000 times smaller.

Tighter tolerances enable 'exacter' panel designs. They may even touch by design and form 'invisible' seams that get covered by paint. Better aero, better noise, better visuals.

TBH as an investor I do not care. My 2015 model S has bad panel gaps compared to a new model 3. The current 3/Y are more than good enough. Tesla are not just an ordinary company, they are in a race against time to accelerate the transition to EVs before we screw up our climate irretrievably.

I couldn't give 2 cents about panel gaps. Just make more Model 3s and Ys. a lot more, fast as possible, and make em cheaper if you can. We can all start pontificating about panel gap comparisons once the ICE industry is dead.

As a shareholder, I couldn't care less what lets elon brag on twitter. He can point at rocket launches if he wants to show off :D

L&G,

Maybe it’s time to focus on the ball again.

Tesla adds value to batteries.

3TWh in 2030. That is 3.000 GWh, 3.000.000 MWh, 3.000.000.000 kWh.

The added value is at least 200 $/kWh. That is 600.000.000.000 $ of added value by 2030.

The value is added by:

• Wrapping a car or truck or semi around the batteries,
  • Providing home power storage,
  • Utility scale energy storage,
  • Supporting micro grids.

With some icing on the cake through

• Autobidder,
  • FSD,
  • Solar roofs,
  • Even better batteries.

Supported by an overarching need to move away from fossil.

Do the further math yourself.

And don’t be fooled by the press, shorties, panel gaps and other distractions. The numbers are really simple.

(Maybe I’ll repeat this post on a monthly basis)

The right way is to improve all of it, without compromise.

That's a weirdly silly and myopic assertion. Obviously "make everything perfect all at once" is, in a vacuum, better than any other approach, but uh ... this is reality. Issues get either prioritized or back-burnered, or somewhere in between. Everything falls on a spectrum of importance.

Compromise is absolutely necessary, and Tesla does it every day with every decision it makes.

Even in the broadest of categories, i think we can all agree that battery innovation and production capacity have been prioritized over PR and customer service/communication. It's not ideal, but I don't think there are many of us who wish those priorities were reversed.

TBH as an investor I do not care. My 2015 model S has bad panel gaps compared to a new model 3. The current 3/Y are more than good enough. Tesla are not just an ordinary company, they are in a race against time to accelerate the transition to EVs before we screw up our climate irretrievably.

I couldn't give 2 cents about panel gaps. Just make more Model 3s and Ys. a lot more, fast as possible, and make em cheaper if you can. We can all start pontificating about panel gap comparisons once the ICE industry is dead.

As a shareholder, I couldn't care less what lets elon brag on twitter. He can point at rocket launches if he wants to show off :D
Panel gaps are a side benifit of having a 3 part car that should have such good tolerances that you could order a kit and snap it together in your driveway.

Dogecoin plummeted after Elon said nothing at all about it.

I'm selling all my TSLA!
I find it amusing how news reports use “framing” terms. Governments refer to ”digital“ currency, pumpers refer to “crypto“ and cautioners (China in this case) use the term “virtual”.

Seems like virtual is not the image the pumpers are favoring.

• Helpful
Reactions: capster and Thumper