Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Um, yeah, if the hand-wringing over this could be postponed until the next legislative session, that would be great.​
...which is in 2023.

So yeah, would have been nice to get around to it this time. As vehicles start shipping, the story will get more traction, and it’s not a good look for TX. Even Florida can point and laugh for once.

FSD in a controlled tunnel is not what we all think of when we speak of Robotaxis/Tesla Network.

operating in a closed tunnel (no intersections, no oncoming traffic, single lane, no pedestrians) is very different from operating on the surface streets. I am pretty sure, the current Autopilot is already perfectly capable of handling the tunnel driving.

Yes but it will be handling entering and exiting customers and pedestrians milling about.

It isn't every aspect of FSD but it sure does break new ground that is required for the robotaxi role.

Reactions: powertoold
1622477570141.png
View attachment 667959
My 1969 Nissan Patrol with a 4L 6 cylinder had a top speed of 78 mph at redline. And it didn't have any Cruise Control. Actually, it did. You pulled out this cable knob and turned it 1/4 turn to the left and it would hold the carburetor's throttle plate wherever you set it. :)

Last edited:
a typical Tesla owner does not and ABSOLUTELY SHOULD NOT give a crap about the share price or burying short sellers.
Agree on point one. Disagree on point two.

The share price will go up and down on it's own timeline and there's not much I can do about it. On the other hand, I absolutely 😍love😍 watching TSLA short-sellers getting burned and buried. It's good clean fun! And I should (and do) care about having fun. :p

🙄

No, you’re welcome.
That looks like a dogecoin.

But really at your age you should not be eating that crap.
Sugar will sap out the last of your nine lives pretty fast.

Nice Twitter thread with a detailed examination of a Charlie Munger pearl of wisdom. Great read for all investors.

Interestingly the example of a high growth company that looks so great in the comparison, looks like the low growth company when compared to Tesla’s ultra-growth:)
Be careful. Tesla is probably the WW company for the next 10 years, but may be the M company thereafter, just due to the fact that it is difficult to find ever-bigger markets to play in. Perversely, the extra "W" for the next 10 years may come at the expense of the "W" after 10 years.

Shocker. People losing their sucrose, thinking they know better, fornicating with impatience, and just basically reminding me why we’re in this predicament in the first place. Shame on every single one of you feeding the corn syrup ladened bonbon. May your options melt like a butterscotch tuile under hot water.

I think my eye teeth just formed cavities reading this.
So much FUDge ...

This is 100% due to the chip shortages. Other automakers are starting to limit seat options on custom builds or are telling people whose cars haven't entered production that they will not be able to get certain seat options and offering to cancel orders or discounts.

This is actually not cool. Tesla doing this while not notifying customers or offering discounts will actually piss people off.
It's understandable considering the price of lumbar these days.

No, castings do not provide an easy to compute upper bound.

Just as with batteries, mining, and demand, casting capacity can be increased. That's how production grows. In fact, the casting machines take up much less space than the many robots they replace. And to think that Tesla can constantly grow production but that the leading innovator in the manufacture of casting machines cannot, that it is a company without the ability to scale and grow, is short-sighted in the extreme.

Whenever you have a company growing as rapidly as Tesla they will hit "the ceiling" temporarily in many ways. There are always snags to growing. But all of the limits to growth are transient in nature, there is no upper bound.

The other reason casting machines do not provide an easy to compute "upper bound" is because the rate at which they churn them out is not fixed. Making castings this large is a new technology that requires new knowledge and is subject to the same kind of innovation Tesla applies to all their processes. If Tesla can, on one casting machine, figure out how to make a two minute process happen in 1 minute and 30 seconds, they can apply that knowledge to all their casting machines and make 33.33% more cars per year with the same number of machines.

The "upper bound" is not fixed and nothing about this is easy to compute.
I was talking about the upper bound of short term production increases over the next 5-10 years. Casting machines are a rough approximation.
I do think they will reduce the cycle time, but it is hard to put a timefrsme or estimate on that.