Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After watching this video, I am very grateful that not only does my Tesla start my A/C once I open the door, but I can use the app to pre-condition it while I’m walking to it!
It's actually worse than that. I speak Chinese. He specifically says you literally can't drive the car or do anything else, you just sit there while it slowly and painfully boots up like that. Listening to him cuss the car out in Chinese was hilarious.

It definitely makes sense for VAG to eliminate their best products.
I don't think they ever made money on these. The reason they were still producing these triplets (Seat, Skoda and VW variants with diff logo an slightly tweaked looks) was to minimize EU CO2 payments - i.e. compliance cars. These vehicles were pronounced dead 3-5x over the past years, but then as the ID issues kept dragging on they kept extending their life. They are all made on the same line in Slovakia - I think - and the only change is VAG stopped producing the Seat and Skoda variants and still keeps/kept the VW e-up! version on life support.

Once it is gone, they will be without any electric offering in that segment until the ID.1 comes out. I always found that weird as that is a very popular segment in Europe. The only logical explanation is, they cannot make them profitably yet, and once they have enough ID.3-5 sales to satisfy the EU quota, they do not want to produce additional money losing cars until the MEB costs come down significantly enough.

It's actually worse than that. I speak Chinese. He specifically says you literally can't drive the car or do anything else, you just sit there while it slowly and painfully boots up like that. Listening to him cuss the car out in Chinese was hilarious.

My 10 year old translated it for me. Best thing he ever saw. He too wants an ID4 now so he can swear at it. 🤣

No fart mode nor games though so he'll settle for a Tesla in the future.

New Jersey has restarted it's EV rebate after the first round ran out of money.

They reduced the amount for vehicles from priced $45-$55k to $2K. Below $45k it is a $5K rebate. It does depend on the range of the vehicle but all Tesla's below $55K would qualify for the full amount.

They have made it point of sale instead of an after sale application.

The reduction between $45-55K I think was to reduce the amount in the Tesla Model 3-Y sweet spot. I can't find the reference but I think I read 80% of the first round dollars went to Tesla purchasers.

Last edited:
It seems like Tesla China production has outrstripped local demand, and exported cars are one clear source of profit..
I will not be surprised if we soon see 40% exports and that will be great for delivery efficiency and partially unwinding the wave.
China is a good location for exports to many countries.

But I also remember Tesla was making a good chunk of money selling fully imported cars even before opening a factory in China.

The we need to consider how Model 2 wil go in the local Chinese market, and as an export to the Asia Pacific.

I also don't have a lot of time for Chinese ideology, and in particular the current Chinese government..
I hope overtime the Chinese government improves it's human rights record and dials down some if it's international aggression.

Tesla is wise to diversify with factories in many locations, but so far the Shanghai factory looks like a major success to me.
From memory Tesla has already paid of a fair chunk of the loans needed to build it, and I think that loan repayment was mainly on the back of sales itne local Chinese market... (If this is wrong, I hope someone posts a correction.)

I will not be surprised if Tesla's leading edge products like DBE and Plaid drive are not made in China for a few years..
Chinese carmakers poaching experienced staff from Tesla is impossible to avoid, those ex-employees taking some knowledge with them is hard to avoid.
Teardowns and reverse engineering are impossible to avoid.
Tesla seems to have chosen to do something unusual with Shanghai production/shipping. There's huge unfilled demand in much of Europe, even with large numbers of deliveries (TM3 top in several countries car sales irrespective of fuel type, lack of SR+ in UK & elsewhere) and now expected deliveries quoted as November (from August).

However, indications are that the ships needed & expected for Europe haven't appeared. It's hard to know, as very busy ports, covid issues too.

I've got a few theories (as have many others), but nothing convincing. I think overall, Tesla will be supplying more "local" customers, inside China (lease, taxis, smaller cities), nearby countries (existing, growing or new markets), RHD markets (Hong Kong). Waiting to find out more, overall I think it's very positive - it feels to me like some kind of 4D chess move

This is why Tesla's are boring

tesla-model-3-winter.jpg

Need more actual colors

I'm not planning to buy a MY LR until Austin is making them because I want the new version, and I'm really hoping some new colors are available out of Austin too. If I had to choose from the current color list it would be red simply because red seems like the rarest color chosen, most Tesla's I see on the road are white, gray, or black.

There's huge unfilled demand in much of Europe, even with large numbers of deliveries (TM3 top in several countries car sales irrespective of fuel type, lack of SR+ in UK & elsewhere) and now expected deliveries quoted as November (from August).

However, indications are that the ships needed & expected for Europe haven't appeared. It's hard to know, as very busy ports, covid issues too.

As Elon said at 15:30, in the far future if you look back and asked: what is the fundamental good of Tesla, it should be assessed by the number of years it has helped humanity accelerate the advent of sustainable energy.

56295F59-5F1D-42AC-A28F-733118783635.jpeg

In other interviews, Elon also said Tesla is not out to destroy the competition and the world should have many successful EV companies because Tesla can’t do it all.

I think Elon is purposely holding back some European shipments to give other OEMs a chance to innovate and sell their cars into a hungry market, provided every car Tesla can produce can be sold elsewhere.

Last edited:
I liked this article that popped up in my feed this morning

Why Tesla Stock Got Clobbered Today -- and Why It Could Bounce Back

Tesla stock lost some $20 billion on Tuesday. Safety appears to be the main reason, even though Tesla cars are considered very safe. It shows that investors have some work to do understanding modern automotive safety -- just like they had some work to do understanding electric vehicles when Tesla burst on the scene years ago.

full article->

I don't think they ever made money on these. The reason they were still producing these triplets (Seat, Skoda and VW variants with diff logo an slightly tweaked looks) was to minimize EU CO2 payments - i.e. compliance cars. These vehicles were pronounced dead 3-5x over the past years, but then as the ID issues kept dragging on they kept extending their life. They are all made on the same line in Slovakia - I think - and the only change is VAG stopped producing the Seat and Skoda variants and still keeps/kept the VW e-up! version on life support.

Once it is gone, they will be without any electric offering in that segment until the ID.1 comes out. I always found that weird as that is a very popular segment in Europe. The only logical explanation is, they cannot make them profitably yet, and once they have enough ID.3-5 sales to satisfy the EU quota, they do not want to produce additional money losing cars until the MEB costs come down significantly enough.
FWIW, I commented on the Skoda version because, IIRC, all three were/are built in the Skoda factory. VAG has been badge engineering most models of those brands plus a few others since they acquired them. For curiosity VW acquired SEAT in 1986, which since WWII had produced Fiat models under license. They bought a third of Skoda in 1986 and full control in 2000. From time to time VAG has tried to differentiate the VW, Skoda and Fiat models but those have never really meant much. Now the three are true badge engineered.

My personal habit has been to refer to all three by the brand most identified with their production, if I know it. Now it is becoming more difficult since Bugatti is becoming Rimac.

All this has worked well for VAG but BEV’s are far harder to treat as piecework than are ICE, where components are mixed and matched from bottom to top (some components are shared from Bentley, Lamborghini and Bugatti to Fox). Few of them, except for the pure badge-engineered ones, share basic systems. Even for Porsche none can do OTA firmware updates, mostly because they really do nit have a ‘firmware’ concept.

Tesla is the only one that cohesively shares core design and control between models. Surely producers like Rivian, Lucid, Nio and other, mostly Chinese brands will be there soon.

All major OEMs resemble VAG more than they do Tesla.

As we continue to evaluate competitive threat and Tesla competition, examining the VAG structure and that of other legacy OEM will prove that in everything from basic function to operating efficiency and vehicle features it is highly unlikely that any of them can adapt well enough to preserve their dominance.

During the next five years Tesla will have an increasing proportion of profit and a decreasing market share. For a recent analogy Apple is probably the closest one.

That means there will be continuing ‘true believers’ in other brands, but most will go the way of Nokia, Blackberry, Siemens, Ericsson, Motorola, Microsoft, Sanyo, and now LG. Anybody who doubts how disruptive systems integration can be need only consider Apple.

Tesla has far deeper technology than has had Apple. After all Tesla manufacturing and materials advances are accelerating. Those have not been factors for Apple.

I liked this article that popped up in my feed this morning

Why Tesla Stock Got Clobbered Today -- and Why It Could Bounce Back

Tesla stock lost some $20 billion on Tuesday. Safety appears to be the main reason, even though Tesla cars are considered very safe. It shows that investors have some work to do understanding modern automotive safety -- just like they had some work to do understanding electric vehicles when Tesla burst on the scene years ago.

full article->

Made investors a little nervous?!?
No maybe made speculators and day traders nervous.

I think Elon is purposely holding back some European shipments to give other OEMs a chance to innovate and sell their cars into a hungry market, provided every car Tesla can produce can be sold elsewh

Elon has said Tesla should be a catalyst for moving the world into EVs numerous times. That is why Tesla patents are free for anyone to use in good faith. Here is another interview as evidence of that.

CA9BC6B7-2B16-410D-8EAA-063276A372A1.jpeg

YouTube:

Reactions: joh01652
Look at number 2- The Skoda citing-e. Dirt cheap but fun to drive and practical. What's not to like about that? It handily beats low expectations. Is the the VAG car that VW cannot make? It's a bit odd that Porsche manages an excellent product and Skoda does. Bugatti has been ceded to Rimac, so there will be some fine exotica. Now why cannot VW and Audi make good BEV's?
To ask the question is to answer it, replacing a profitable ICE with an unprofitable EV would hurt their business.

It seems like Tesla China production has outrstripped local demand, and exported cars are one clear source of profit..
I will not be surprised if we soon see 40% exports and that will be great for delivery efficiency and partially unwinding the wave.
China is a good location for exports to many countries.

But I also remember Tesla was making a good chunk of money selling fully imported cars even before opening a factory in China.

The we need to consider how Model 2 wil go in the local Chinese market, and as an export to the Asia Pacific.

I also don't have a lot of time for Chinese ideology, and in particular the current Chinese government..
I hope overtime the Chinese government improves it's human rights record and dials down some if it's international aggression.

Tesla is wise to diversify with factories in many locations, but so far the Shanghai factory looks like a major success to me.
From memory Tesla has already paid of a fair chunk of the loans needed to build it, and I think that loan repayment was mainly on the back of sales itne local Chinese market... (If this is wrong, I hope someone posts a correction.)

I will not be surprised if Tesla's leading edge products like DBE and Plaid drive are not made in China for a few years..
Chinese carmakers poaching experienced staff from Tesla is impossible to avoid, those ex-employees taking some knowledge with them is hard to avoid.
Teardowns and reverse engineering are impossible to avoid.
I'd agree with the shanghai factory being a source of export profits but then...it comes with huge risks. Increasingly I view the risk of operating in china or being dependent on china for parts/products as outweighing long term strategy. Same for Apple and MS. In fact....I think the conflict with human rights in China vs the west is likely to grow as long as Chinas communist party regresses to middle age mentality of China and the others.

Nice application of that pun. Bonus points for that! :cool:

It seems that some are seeing the word "structural" and haven't fully understood that anything designed into that space between the front and rear wheels will be "structural" on any car.

In a world awash in buzzwords the subtlety of Tesla's method of making the 4680 part of the structure in order to reduce mass while adding strength, improving handling, and getting more range can easily enough be glossed over.

Use of the term "structural" isn't the magic part. Just as VW saying they are the first "high-volume" auto maker to offer over the air updates isn't magic. (particularly if they were to only count the number of BEVs eligible for their updates and compare that count to those Tesla can provide OTA updates to. Tell me then who is "high-volume")

I digress. Getting caught up with any such published terminology while not grasping the numbers that relate the significance of the effect on any given model is what makes it so easy to read the buzzwords and think that it appears to be the same. While this isn't a lie, it isn't the truth either.

So, for those coming up to speed, of course the metal parts holding the Mach-E batteries is a "structural" component.

The thing to look for is whether Ford has made the batteries themselves part of the structure in order to glean measurable benefits, so as to reduce weight, improve strength (torsional, tensile, etc.), and whether doing so has contributed to greater range, reduced polar moment, and other factors that improve the driving experience and overall safety for the occupants of the vehicle, as the technology will soon do on the Model Y.
Agree most people probably don't get the nuance.

The reason why I asked specifically what I did is because the assertion was the Ford pack was providing strength "as Tesla will be doing ‘soon’ with the new cell size".

So the specific issue of if the cells were structural members was called in to question.