Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting is this what happened with last stock split?

No, because Tesla was WAY under the already-authorized 2 billion shares at that time. They could do a 5:1 stock dividend and still have only issued about half that 2 billion in shares total.

Now with close to 1 billion shares outstanding (and a bit more locked up for stock based compensation) they don't have enough overhead in that authorized number to do any more than a roughly 1.9:1 split without shareholders voting to raise the authorized share cap significantly.

For example if they wanted to do another 5:1 split they'd need to raise the cap to at least ~5 billion authorized shares.... and likely would want to go higher than that either to support any future split or leave more overhead for SBC.... Though 5 billion is likely fine if they're only looking at a 2:1 or something, that'd leave enough overhead for 2 of em.

I still don't know if Elon is mocking us or not. I mean it's fine if he is, I'm not under any illusion that I'm actually doing anything productive by holding shares of a publicly traded company's stock. I'm not working in the factory making Tesla cars or anything. I'm basically clinging to the bed of a Cybertruck as it roars through Wall Street smashing food trucks as it goes. Elon is driving and I'm hanging on for dear life.
You could help by standing up in the bed and man the machine gun mounted to the roof of the cab; being a soldier and all. 🙄

Teslarati - 13 minutes ago: Tesla sales in Germany grow 431% year-over-year for June

Excerpt:

The German Federal Motor Vehicle Office (KBA) reported that Tesla sold a total of 4,466 vehicles last month. Tesla’s market share in the German auto industry grew to 1.6%.

In June 2020, Tesla sold 841 vehicles. This meant that Tesla’s sales grew 431.0% year-over-year (YoY) for June. The company’s market share also expanded by 1.2 points, from 0.4% in June 2020 to 1.6% in June 2021.

So we'd need a shareholder vote authorizing a bunch more shares announced, and passed, before any split could be announced unless it's a REALLY small one.
This timing is not really material to the matter. Elon, or the company, can announce at any time their intention to seek a stock split, and the market will be affected from that moment on.

This timing is not really material to the matter. Elon, or the company, can announce at any time their intention to seek a stock split, and the market will be affected from that moment on.

I'm not actually sure they CAN announce a stock split that would involve issuing shares that are not authorized to be issued- what (surprisingly little) I've seen written on the topic suggests you can not legally have a split involving shares that aren't already authorized to be issued.

But I'd certainly be happy to see anyone with evidence otherwise present it.

Last edited:
With all this FUD and poor performance I genuinely keep forgetting we just had record deliveries and are looking at a likely record profit in a few days. I gotta hand it to them, they are good at what they do. Seems like Tesla is just taking the punches too.

I was thinking about this. Personally, it seems like its a matter of looking at time horizons. If you ask yourself that a year ago on this day, a year later, that TSLA would be $3250 (since the stock split hadn't occurred) and two record breaking quarters heading into a potential 1m car delivery year (after, at that time, only delivering on 170-180k in the first two quarters in 2020)...what would you think?

Instead we're here thinking about $650 after having two record breaking quarters.

Hope @avoigt doesnt mind my reposting his tweets. He's got some goodies.

I find this amazing.
I find it funny you find it amazing. You have at least driven and experienced a Tesla, right? Only the most stupidly stubborn (or plain stupid) wouldn’t be able to see how much better a Tesla is in every logical and illogical way to any other everyday car (and many special cars).

It might take a bit of time for a segment of the population to get out of their own way, but eventually their innate nature to follow the leader takes over. Do we really still not understand ourselves as individuals and as a whole?

The only graph we need to konw.
Screen Shot 2021-07-07 at 10.32.52 AM.png